ABW Ambassador
    To Banner or Not To Banner....That is the question

I go through this occasionally. I'm considering putting banners back on the TH Media site. I want to start advertising our other services, such as telephone, domain name registrations, ICM, etc. I also want to advertise ABW as well as our own affiliate program. Should I not stick banners on our site, even if they are only promoting our other services (and will most likely say so on the banner).

ABW Ambassador
    My thought is to always focus on the best/biggest money maker. Anything else is extra.

Some questions: Does the other stuff return much money? Is the hosting steady?
    Why are people coming to your site? What is the conversion for new visitors to customers? Are you getting alot of repeat visitors from current customers that you could then sell, or mainly new customers?

When in doubt, I always choose focus.

Chet

Tom,

I've said it before and will again ... if a merchant needs to distract an end user the merchant needs to hone their sales pitch! If I link to a merchant and they have any links (other than internal) I know they are malarkey.

Haiko
    [ speeeling [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] ]

[ 07-13-2002: Message edited by: Haiko ]

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks guys...and yes, Haiko, we have discussed it before. I wasn't going to be running banners from Fastclick or anything like that. It would be to other aspects of our site and services. Domain name registrations, toll-free, etc. It would be internal. The only exceptions I would see to a link going outside would be for something like ABW 'Visit The TH Media User Forums at A Best Web', etc. I've also *thought* about a banner for shareasale since we many of our clients are merchants. That was just a thought. I'd like to start promoting other aspects of TH Media so are clients 'Know we do this too'.

Tom,

I still say no!

... get the sale then ... resell or aff links via newsletter, if you care to!

Haiko

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks Haiko...now you see why I ask here first before making a move [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Tom,

Good!

Any inhouse sale will always earn more than any aff link!

Haiko

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Tom,

You already have those other services made available through your menu bar, so I'm really don't see where banners would be of benefit. I think they would just add clutter to the site and be distracting. What you may want to consider is how you have the navigation set up. First get all your hosting related links together in the menu. It doesn't make much sense to have info on your hosting plan, the phone links, and then one more spot down the links to hosting support and manuals. I remember the first time I visited your site thinking "What's up with these phone links and weather thingy?" I realized you did aff stuff, so I kind of got it. But many may not and I think it's a bit confusing and distracting.

Then since you byline for the site is "Web Solutions for the Small Business", consider putting all you links to the other stuff under a heading like "Business Resource Center" or something like that. And another for "WebMaster Resource Center" for the domain registration, site builder, weather center, affiliate program, etc. It would make a bit more sense. You already have all the info there, so if you aren't getting the results you would like, it may be that you just need to take a look at how it's being presented on the site. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

As far as a newsletter goes, I don't know how much interest you would have from people unless you had some really good content that was truly helpful to a web site owner with the aff links worked in nicely. I know personally I get tons of newsletters from services I use that are nothing but paid advertiser links with no beneficial content. I just delete them or unsubscribe. And it does take quite a bit of time to do a really good newsletter. I wouldn't run the risk of dropping your crediability with you customers with an aff laden newsletter unless you have the resources and time to put together some really good content for it.

BTW, I noticed that your menu isn't consistent all the way through your site. Maybe some pages got missed when you made some updates? Go to the links in the Customer Support section, they are different and the "Other Services" section is completely not there.

Well, that was my 5 cents worth.

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks again!!!! One reason I had considered it because I get questions about our other service..'Do you do this', etc. I've actually thought about setting up a newsletter that would have tips, web design info, etc. This idea I've been pondering...also some content on how to use are services, etc.

Freehouse...the menu is being updated. Most of the pages use shtm so it is dynamically updated. There are some places that aren't and have to be done manually. We are working on those and should be done shortly [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Outsourced Program Manager Bryan Rhodes's Avatar
    Tom,

We do a lot of cross-selling at BackcountryStore.com and have had success with it. Take a look at one of our product pages and you'll see the heading "You might also like." We use it to promote accessories that match up with the original product, a tent and footprint, or jacket and matching pants. We also include one item that isn't so related, like the cup on the page linked above.

I would try a version of cross-selling on your site. You can use a banner that says "Did you know? TH Media also provides these services......" If you keep it related to the product/service the customer is already looking at it can help them navigate your site and find the service they were really looking for. But put the banner in the same spot on every page. Make it consistent and targeted and it can help your site navigation.

We don't do any offers that take customers away from our site, and it sounds like you might be considering that. I would avoid that type of banner for the reasons already mentioned.

And definately send out a newsletter. We started sending one a month about six months ago. Customer service/warehouse hates when we send them out because they immediately spike sales. So we are now sending out two per month, double opt-in of course. One with content articles and advice and the other a featured products listing that matches our homepage offer.

FYI - The feature products list will soon be available to our affiliates.

Bryan

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread