Well, guess what. My favorite merchant, you already know who, can drop ship for me.

Now, I don't know a danged thing about that business but it seems to have the potential to make tons more money. And, I would have a wholesale account that I could use to obtain merchandise for all the Pagan festivals I go to. That would be nice.

I have so many questions. I need to know what I need to know.

For instance, will I need my own shopping cart? I have a couple with iPowerweb but don't know how to use them. What about credit cards? Would I go broke just trying to set up a way to accept credit cards? Would I need a tax ID? I am afraid my questions are so uninformed they will sound really dumb.

I know this doesn't have anything to do with affiliate marketing. But, since folks here mentioned it to me, if you have any experience with this, could you get in touch with me and offer guidance and insights?

I may never do this but inquiring minds (like mine) want to know.

ABW Ambassador
    SSanf -

Try Paypal first; get a "feel" for the ecommerce bit before you "graduate" to something else that is going to cost more.
    Their shopping cart is pretty versatile and super-easy to use.

If you don't want to use Paypal, take a look at 2Checkout.

Yes you need to get a tax ID *if* there is a sales tax in your state. Contact the state's department of revenue. Fees vary from state to state, but it is most likely in the $10 to $25 range.

And the best piece of advice I can offer - if you are selling jewelry - DO NOT SELL RINGS! They almost NEVER order the right size. You will get at least a 20% return for exchange rate, and some of those will return for exchange again.

Good Luck and Happy $$$

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Try Pay Pal first<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have just started using them on a couple of sites that I have set up for local Pagan crafts people.

I'm still sort of new to it but it seems to be working OK.

One thing I wonder about is that I never used them myself and had no account with them until I needed it for my friends sites.

Do you think people will be put off buying if they must go the Pay Pal route instead of just whipping out a credit card?

If I am in Kentucky and the buyer is in lower Slobovia, do I have to pay Kentucky sales tax?

[ 07-12-2002: Message edited by: SSanf ]

ABW Ambassador
    This used to be a pretty big issue (the inconvenience), but they have been making it a lot easier lately for non-members to make the purchase.

Use of paypal may give the impression of your being a "small-time operator", but I doubt that that would be a problem considering your demographic; if you were selling computers or something, it would be a different story.

You only charge sales tax for orders that will be shipped to addresses in your state.
    You need to put the tax % info in your paypal and it will be calculated into all orders for addresses within your state.

[ 07-13-2002: Message edited by: Deelz ]

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    SSanf,

There are quite a few things to consider if you are going to sell yourself. But if you take them one step at a time, it's not as bad as it seems. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

First, check with KY Sec. of State Office. They'll have a web site. These are the guys who can give you all the info you need about having a small business in your State and all the d*mn paperwork that will go with it. Here are a few things you'll probably need:

A tax ID number. This wil just be your SS# if you are going to run the business as a sole proprietor. The Sec of State will have info about all the different classes of business as does the Small Business Association.

A sales tax number. This is different from above. If KY charges a sales tax you will need this. I have to fill out d*mn state sales tax forms even monthly even if I don't ship any orders within my State. You may all need to register and file out forms for your county also. You don't want to let this one go. Believe me, they will come looking for you. You'll most likely need the sales tax number for buying your inventory from a wholesaler (even though they will be drop shipping, you're still buying from them). This is a requirement for them to have on file for their tax reporting and ties in with sales tax charges.

You will probably need an occupational license. For me this was through my city government. I pay $50 a year to run a home base business. You'll need this one for the one below.

A DBA (doing business as) with your bank. You can either tie your business name to your regular checking account with a DBA or set up a separate business account. Either way the bank will want a copy of your occupational license or a Fed Tax ID (if you are incorporated some way).

It sounds like a lot, but it's not really to bad getting all that done, if you know what you need.

There are a couple of good threads in the merchant corner about merchant accounts for accepting credit cards. Until you have a good business going with a minimum of $2000/month of gross sales, it is more cost effective to have a 3rd party processing credit cards for you. These are companies like 2checkout and CCNow. There are some other companies listed in those threads which I don't remember. These companies will provide you with the shopping cart which is good when you are just getting started. But you need to carefully look at different companies and their payment structures from a cash flow perspective. Most of these make payments to you bimonthly, so it will depend on when you will have to pay your supplier. I would say use one of the 3rd party processors and PayPal. The more options you give your customers, the better off. You will get your money instantly with PayPal and you can get listed for free in their shopping directory. I get a bit of traffic from them. Although I'm holding my breath about what changes may be coming down from PayPal since eBay bought them. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

That should give you some food for thought. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me and I'll help if I can.

ABW Ambassador
    The d/b/a - if you are doing business as "Sanford's", you may not need it. Check with your bank first. If they say you do, you need to get this from the town or city clerk.

Thank you very much. This is something I will at least think about.

With Ebay overtaking paypal I think they will improve quite a bit in the future.

SSansf, Paypal has it's own "shopping cart" of sorts. The PayPal cart has a few drawbacks, but it's free and extremely easy to set up. Since you'd be just starting out, I'd suggest you use that in the beginning as it will be much easier than integrating your cart software with PayPal.

They have a plugin for Dreamweaver and I believe they also have a plugin for Front Page that you can use to add the shopping cart buttons to an existing .html page.

You could try testing the whole idea with selling just a few items to see how it will work out.

~

[ 07-13-2002: Message edited by: eaglefire ]

The main reason that I use Paypal is that they deal with all of the paperwork BS. I just collect the check, which suits me just fine.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread