ABW Ambassador
    Buying And Selling Domains For Newbies - How To
    I have less than 10 domains to my name. I've never sold one in my life. Today while researching something, I found a couple of domains I can't believe are available. So I want to buy them just to sell them in the future. For those that have bought and sold, any tips? Is there one registrar that's easier than another, anything I should look out for? Is it something that's pretty easy to figure out, the transfer process and all that.

I bought a mobi domain thru GoDaddy and it looks pretty easy to put up a for sale page.

I just want to buy some domains and then put them up for sale and looking for the easiest way to do that.

As far as where to sell, I think I understand that part. I've been keeping notes when these discussions come up and usually see sedo and afternic mentioned.

Hi Trust,
    I've been buying and selling for awhile now and in 8 years never had one go wrong.

Once you've found a buyer, negotiated and agreed on a sales price login to your escrow.com account and complete the sales details.

Escrow will advise once payment has been deposited and is cleared, then you transfer the domain using the new owners details.

There is usually a 2 day wait for the whois to update, Once escrow has checked the whois and the buyer has clicked the agreed button Escrow deposits payment into your account.

Escrow is the safest way and you can negotiate with the buyer as to who should pay the escrow fee.

I sold one last week with the cleared funds landing in my account just 4 days after I put it on the market.

I've only done a few, but one important thing is to use registrars that allow easy transfers. GoDaddy and Namecheap are good IMO. Some other well-known registrars are notoriously bad.

I also recommend GoDaddy. I have over 200 names there and have had no problems selling and transfering.

You might also consider a service such as AfterNic . com. I've used them for years to sell domains and actually sold one last month through them for $600.00. The take a percentage fee, but I feel that is worth it for their escrow service. I especially like the way their escrow service keeps you updated on the progress of the sale via emails and online.

PM me if you have any specific questions.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

I like godaddy as well just because I find it easy to manage my names. Pushes are easy as most domainers have an account there, even those who don't like Godaddy.

If you are serious about selling you will want to look at sedo.com & afternic.com which are the leading marketplaces outside of private sales. Watch out at sedo as their minimum charge to sell a .mobi is $160. This would be deducted from your payment if the name sells. Afternic is $60 minimum (or 10% of sale). Both offer secure escrow with their fee.

The most robust marketplace, however, is the DN discussion boards where names are constantly being traded back & forth. Namepros.com has a .mobi discussion forum as well as a new mobi marketplace to post your names for sale. The other Forum which is good is DNforum.com. - though your due the structure of that board your post might get buried quickly.

GL!

Escrow.com rules, I'm doing a purchase right now through them.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Why would you involve middlemen like sedo or afternic or any of the others when you can deal direct with escrow ?

In all my years of marketing domains I've never had one sell through greatdomains, afternic or sedo using their domain selling services.

In the early days I once used greatdomains to handle escrow after I found the buyer and had to pay them an inflated % .

These days the transfer process is so simple, not like the 'good old days' when when it was a matter of Stat Decs, faxes and phone calls!

I sold one for $2500 last week, usually the buyer pays the escrow fees but I opted to pay $157 for the escrow premier service to sweeten the deal.

Their fees roughly are $0 to $5k, about 3.25% and they keep you updated during the whole process and if your domain is with godaddy it's even easier.

Quote Originally Posted by mousejockey
    Why would you involve middlemen like sedo or afternic or any of the others when you can deal direct with escrow ?
    Exposure. Why do people use realtors when they can sell FSBO?

My suggestion for anyone interested in buying/selling domain names is to get involved in one of the forums dedicated to the domain name trade. NamePros is my personal favourite - someone has also suggested DNForum - hang out at one of these forums for a short time, use their search facility, post a question or 2 and you'll learn lots. Careful that you don't get addicted though.

Exposure - There are many ways of giving your domains exposure besides paying to have them listed then disappear in a sea of thousands of other domains.

I do it for exposure and ease. I'm not in the business of selling domains, but I just hate to let good ones go so I list them at Afternic. So far, it has been very profitable.

I get emails every month from people who want to buy a domain I own but they never want to pay the price. Nice thing about AfterNIC is I set a minimum amout I want, bids come in and I don't have to haggle. Works perfect for me, but understand it may not for others.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    I have less than 10 domains to my name. I've never sold one in my life. Today while researching something, I found a couple of domains I can't believe are available. So I want to buy them just to sell them in the future. For those that have bought and sold, any tips? Is there one registrar that's easier than another, anything I should look out for? Is it something that's pretty easy to figure out, the transfer process and all that.

I bought a mobi domain thru GoDaddy and it looks pretty easy to put up a for sale page.

I just want to buy some domains and then put them up for sale and looking for the easiest way to do that.

As far as where to sell, I think I understand that part. I've been keeping notes when these discussions come up and usually see sedo and afternic mentioned.
    If I can add my 2 cents worth there's alot more to it than you'd think.
    99 out of 100 are sold using PayPal or Epass and even tho Sedo, AfterNICc
    ect are good DNForum is a site you get 100% of the sale price.
    GoDaddy is good, but then again all of them are if you know what you're doing.
    GD also has a domain sale board at TDnam where ya can get some
    good expired domains and also sell yours.

Most complaints about Registras are the fault of the person complaining.
    Domain Traders is a Bizz that a person can get ate up in if they're not
    up on what's good and what's not.

Don't ever use Privacy as you'll get emails from people wanting to buy it
    from the whois if it's just parked.

Transfering domains is simple, just make sure you unlock it first, also
    NEVER change any of the registration info like addy or phone # for instance.
    You can't transfer a domain for 60 days after it's reg'd or after any
    Registrant info has been changed.
    You can push it to someone else tho as long as they get an account at
    the Registra you have it in the day you Reg it if you want.

Moniker is also a good place to Reg a domain of sell it on their board.
    So is Snapnames and they're alot more places to sell them.

Do you know what a Domain Spinner is?
    I can't post links here and my PM doesn't work yet but if you're serious
    about playing in the Domain racket eee me and I'll give ya a bunch of links
    that'll save you time and give ya an idea of what's selling and for how much.
    I think I can put my ee addy in a thread, if not the mod can take it out and
    it'll be the last time..
    Toker (at) toker.ws and put Abestweb in the subject box so I don't delete it with the rest of the daily spam..

Quote Originally Posted by 7-days
    I also recommend GoDaddy. I have over 200 names there and have had no problems selling and transfering.

You might also consider a service such as AfterNic . com. I've used them for years to sell domains and actually sold one last month through them for $600.00. The take a percentage fee, but I feel that is worth it for their escrow service. I especially like the way their escrow service keeps you updated on the progress of the sale via emails and online.

PM me if you have any specific questions.
    If you have 200 at GD you know you can get an Exec Acct and pay
    less plus get your own acct manager to work with.

ABW Ambassador
    How do you find a buyer?

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread