Educational resources
    I understand affiliate marketing conceptually in that I understand how it works, what people are doing , and why they get paid for it. However, I do not know where to start in order to get to that point. I have been searching the forums for possible literature to read as well as educational websites. The problem for me is that all of the information is incredibely scattered and I haven't really found a concrete starting point.

So, in my search, I have decided that I need to develop a list. A list of everything that successful affiliate marketeers know and use in their strategies.

So here are my questions:

Is there a go-to-guide on the web for affiliate marketing? ABestWeb being one of them, is their something similar to it that acts more like a "walkthrough" with information in a more structured format?

Is there a definitive answer on what book (specifically pertaining to the world of AM) is a "must read" for the newbie affiliate marketeer? Is there more than one?

In order to be successful, I have come to the conclusion that I must at least familiarize myself with basic concepts of HTML. In addition to that, is there a particular web-editor that is considered "Best of Breed" for affiliate marketing? Are there any other coding languages that would be beneficial to understand in combination with HTML?

I would like to set a goal time-line for myself so that I can evaluate myself with qualitative and quantitative results, with no background in the industry while starting from step 1, what is a realistic goal timeline that I should apply myself to?

Lastly, I have done all of this research and I have yet to see a website that an affiliate marketeer has created. If it is possible for someone to PM me with a link to their website (please don't if it is a violation of forum rules) that would be great. It would be nice to see an example of what I am trying to work towards achieving.

I understand I am asking a lot, but I am just trying to build a foundation here. I appreciate any help you offer me, and thanks in advance for your time!

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    i usually say read here and learn (which is still a great idea and the best one I have direct experience with), but i met james martell at a conference recently and had a few meals with him and he seems sincere and smart and it's his biz to provide materials you asked about (for a cost).

i usually have a good nose for sniffing out the crapola and scum and he managed to talk with me for hours and I never got that itchy feeling.

google "james martell" to find it.

please come back either way (bought it or passed on it) and let us know what you thought about it.

others here know of it firsthand, chime in please.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaAdams
    I would like to set a goal time-line for myself so that I can evaluate myself with qualitative and quantitative results, with no background in the industry while starting from step 1, what is a realistic goal timeline that I should apply myself to?
    Timelines vary a lot. Work on it part time until you've made more progress and then judge for yourself. I don't believe anybody can guide you well here - it's up to you.

Lastly, I have done all of this research and I have yet to see a website that an affiliate marketeer has created. If it is possible for someone to PM me with a link to their website (please don't if it is a violation of forum rules) that would be great. It would be nice to see an example of what I am trying to work towards achieving.
    Feel free to go to the "hey everybody, please review my affiliate website" section here and browse:
    http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=146

Other than that, it's usual custom here to keep specific questions about our sites and earnings off the table.

In order to be successful, I have come to the conclusion that I must at least familiarize myself with basic concepts of HTML. In addition to that, is there a particular web-editor that is considered "Best of Breed" for affiliate marketing? Are there any other coding languages that would be beneficial to understand in combination with HTML?

Web Editors: Dreamweaver and Frontpage are the two that come to mind (it's hard to say which is better, as the crowd is split between both of them). If you can, I'd say learn HTML the old-fashioned way: code it by hand. But like someone mentioned a while back, these tools can also help with that down the road.

As for technical skills, I would say you "should" learn the following 4 things:

1) HTML & CSS (for standard web pages)
    2) PHP (for server-side scripting - and builiding dynamic web sites)
    3) Javascript, or similar client-side scripting language.
    4) Database concepts (i.e., MySQL - for building database driven sites)

As a programmer by trade, these were easy for me to learn, but I can imagine it will take a good bit of time for those not familiar with programming - especially those that have to start from the very beginning (i.e., learning HTML). Either way, these are the four things that I use more often than not with my sites.

Then there's the whole business side to AM to learn, but someone else more qualified can helpyou there.

Best of luck!

The web editors like Dreamweaver and Frontpage are great to start with when you have no html experience, and some that know alot of html still use the editors for the bulk of the work and then fiddle with the code.

I strongly suggest learning at least basic SEO, and the more you learn the better. By learning correct site design and proper seo, you will be able to compete in just about any affiliate market. Traffic = money.

I totally agree with WRYoung. Most of my design is done in Dreamweaver, then I monkey with the code as I go as well. That, combined with SEO skills, plus photoshop design skills will get you far!
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread