Dear Mr. Shain, please watch who you send this to
    To: Mr. Jeffrey Shain & Shareasale in general

Please send e-mails such as this one to the actual affiliates practicing SEO/Adwords/etc...
    Affiliates not engaged in these practices are not interested in these e-mails.
    It would be nice if you did some research before you accuse.

I DO NOT engage in Adwords in any shape or form. I have ZERO intentions of doing so.
    My sites do not interfere with registered trademarks or infringe upon the intellectual property of LoveMyShoes.Com in any way.

Dear ________,

It is clear from simple google research that some of you are still pursuing seo
    campaigns using our trademark. As we have requested this to stop, as of 11/10/06
    all affiliates utilizing seo campaigns with the LoveMyShoes brand will be disabled
    on our affiliate network. We apologize for the stern action but we did give you
    ample warning.

Regards,

Jeffrey Shain
    LoveMyShoes.Com
    Thanks for the warning but you are warning the wrong person.
    Try to locate one of my SEO campaigns (hint: I don't have any).
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    He wasn't accusing you:

"It is clear from simple google research that some of you are still pursuing seo
    campaigns using our trademark."

Some of you. I don't think it's that bad because it also gets the message out to other affiliates that might be thinking of doing it. Not sure of their past rules but if it was a past rule, this helps reinforce it and if it's a new rule it's helps get the message out. Didn't login to check if they put it in their guidelines but they should put it their too if they haven't already.

Internet Cowboy
    He sent a correction to that. It is PPC trademark snipers he is shutting down, and rightfully so.

It can still be alarming to get an email like this.

As someone who works within the rules, I had to read it twice before I was certain that I wasn't being falsely accused. I fact, I still don't know if I'm being accused or not. I can only assume that I'm not.

General warnings can be sent out to the whole program. Notice of a deactivation that's going to happen on a specific date should be handed out one-by-one, so there are no misunderstandings. IMO.

Yup, Sure ... now let me check ... Cagles Mill's Avatar
    His correction came too late.

I've gotten one sale off more than 330 clickthroughs to LoveMy Shoes, which is a conversion rate about ten times worse than my other shoe merchants. So I had been considering dropping them anyway. Then when I received the email I took it to mean we were not to use their name at all on our pages. There have been a few rare merchants dumb enough to insist on that policy. So I went ahead and deleted the page I had for them, removed my links to that page and quit their SAS program. Afterwards, I received his correction to the earlier email, but at this point I am not about to rejoin them then go back and rebuild the page for them.
    Rick M.
    I would rather have a bottle in front of me, than have a frontal lobotomy!
    Does your bubblegum lose its flavor on the bedpost overnight?

ABW Ambassador
    I DO NOT engage in Adwords in any shape or form. I have ZERO intentions of doing so.
    Funny, I could have sworn I saw you participating in Adwords threads, more than once. So if you don't just delete the email, like people who don't use product photos would do if they didn't use them.

No matter what, it should have been made clear with the first email that went out. But it's highly unlikely that anyone who has a business to run will spend hours hand picking through their list, checking sites and thoroughly investigating who to hand select to NOT receive emails that may not be specific to their cases.

It's laughable that some of these people still don't know the difference between PPC trademark enfringment and good page building SEO

"all affiliates utilizing seo campaigns" comon now this is our job right? Retraction or not schooling is needed.

....But it's highly unlikely that anyone who has a business to run will spend hours hand picking through their list, checking sites and thoroughly investigating who to hand select to NOT receive emails that may not be specific to their cases.
    Why would they have to choose which affiliates *not* to send the email to when it is quite clear that they have a problem with a select few.

I do some adwords advertising and every time he sends this thing out, it freaks me out because although it is clearly intended for a select few affiliates, I also have to wonder if maybe he has the mistaken impression that I am bidding in an improper manner.

He should just send the email out to those who have actually placed the offending ads.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by NoWires
    Why would they have to choose which affiliates *not* to send the email to when it is quite clear that they have a problem with a select few.
    If it's a persistent problem they may need to send "reminders" every so often, but there are nice ways to do it, as only a part of a positive, informative communication that covers a broader base.

He should just send the email out to those who have actually placed the offending ads.
    Those need more than mail, they need warnings followed by action. But others can come along and do the same at any time, it's up to them to make everything crystal clear about their trademark going out the gate so there's no misunderstanding.

Trademark is understandable, anything beyond that is just plain clueless.

ABW Ambassador
    I just can't let this pass without comment, even though it's a ludicrous issue.

First off, "please watch who" entitling this thread title is egregiously egotistical. There is NO affiliate who is the center of the universe, entitled to receive special treatment or attention. Maybe top producers to a degree, and understandably so, but not any more than other top producers. And just maybe the party doesn't have Carnac the Mind Reader on staff to tell them who even intends to do PPC in future.

I can't believe I even read that "please watch who" thread title. Who TF do any of us among us think we are? Who TF is the who that's so super-special?

I can't believe I even read.....
    I can believe you read it. You seem to have a "thing" for somebody. You just lie in wait and sieze any opportunity to lob a grenade.

You know, recent advances in modern medicine may offer a solution to your problem.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates

ABW Ambassador
    seem to have a "thing"
    Ya, you bet I sure do have a "thing" for multiple, unnecessarily hijacked threads and thread-killer posts over a lengthy period of time that end up wasting everyone's time and show disrespect for the topic-starter. You've got that one right!

NoWires, do you really believe any merchant or retailer is going to sift through their mailing list to hand pick who is doing what before they send out an email to make sure no one's feelings are hurt? Or PAY someone to sift through and investigate who to exclude?

You know, recent advances in modern medicine may offer a solution to your problem.
    There are not only recent advances, but well-established, time-tested prorocols for such things as respect and propriety for communal behavior in society. Chronic infractions and offenses start to get annoying after a while,and most certainly do need to be confronted. If you have a problem with assertiveness, that's also curable and assertiveness training is available.

ABW Ambassador
    Physician, heal thyself. ;-)

Ignoring the off-topic attack and distractions and getting back on the topic of merchant emails and communications, Terms and Conditions should be made 100% clear and understandable going out the gate for any program. If subsequent modifications are needed they need to be made, and any communications need to be consistent with the policies that people originally agreed to or informing them of subsequent modifications.

If changes to original policies are or have been made, then they need to be communicated to ALL who are in the program per pre-existing policies, without exception. But they should be clearly and tactfully communicated. Any and all communications from merchants are actually sales letters, selling associates on participating or continuing in their program.

all affiliates utilizing seo campaigns with the LoveMyShoes brand will be disabled
    on our affiliate network.
    That would seem to imply that those who were'nt...would be okay?
    Got to have a thick skin in business, even part time business.

Email could have been worded better tho. I've gotten some from merchants I've just signed up with that scare me off the program alltogether.

ABW Ambassador
    What's even worse and sillier is CJ merchants who send out notices that you can't use their name or search terms in so-called "hidden code" on pages that would compete with them at the search engines that doesn't appear in browsers, which alt=" " text doesn't, or use search terms in any way that could out-rank them at the search engines. What they neglect to mention is anchor text pointing to pages, which is just as well from our POV.

Quote Originally Posted by webworker
    What's even worse and sillier is CJ merchants who send out notices that you can't use their name or search terms in so-called "hidden code" on pages that would compete with them at the search engines that doesn't appear in browsers, which alt=" " text doesn't, or use search terms in any way that could out-rank them at the search engines. What they neglect to mention is anchor text pointing to pages, which is just as well from our POV.
    What does that have to do with CJ? Only CJ merchants do that?

Rhia, admit it, you are really a closet PPC'er and just don't want to admit it. Tell the truth now. Come on. We know better. Yes, we do. You can't hide behind the lie anymore. The truth will set you free!

Quote Originally Posted by NoWires
    You seem to have a "thing" for somebody. You just lie in wait and sieze any opportunity to lob a grenade.
    OMFG! Look who is talking, your so hung up you need four aliases to keep up with your "urges".

Webworker is 100% correct R7 disrupts or just flirts in her postings, I used to see some signal before all the noise.

Thread closed, there is no more productivity in it.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

21. Newsletter Signup

Closed Thread