I am traveling to England and Europe (Holland, Switzerland, Italy, Greece) in October and am wondering if/how I can check on things here from there. Are there as many internet cafes in Europe as there are here? Will my Japanese-made, bought-in-the-USA laptop work in, say, Greece? Or I should say, will the connections? I have enough trouble with hair dryers over there [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    Dunno about the rest of Europe but there are plenty of internet cafes in the UK. Look for the EasyEverything cafes as they charge next to nothing.

ABW Ambassador
    I can't answer your question, but I have a tip that makes life easier when you're travelling: Make a page that links to the log-in pages for everything you might want to check on while you're away. Put that page onine somewhere it's not linked to anything, but you can easily remember the URL. This makes it faster and easier to check your accounts when you get a chance for a few minutes online here or there.

Another travel tip: you might have heard about making a photocopy of your driver's licence, medical info, etc. to leave with someone you trust, to make it easier to get replacements if your documents are ever lost or stolen. A variation would be to scan them and put the images online someplace secure that only you know about. You could email them to a web-based email account as attachments, or maybe put them in a password-protected, robots-barred directory. Having another way to retrieve backups of critical documents would add peace of mind while you travel. Remember to take them offline when you get home.

European voltage is 230V, not 115V so you'll need to ensure that your PSU will cope with both.. most will. However, you'll need to find some socket adapters before you go.. you should be able to get some at the airport.

Phone connectors are sometimes RJ11 in Europe, but mostly countries have their own style of connector. You're best off getting a road-warrior adaptor kit if you want to use dial-up. Also bear in mind that a lot of hotels use digital lines and your modem won't work. And it'll all be EXPENSIVE or VERY EXPENSIVE [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Don't forget to check your cabin baggage allowance.. it might be your laptop will use it all up.

Another thing, since January Greece, Italy and the Netherlands all use the same currency (Euros). With a few exceptions, you'll need pounds sterling in the UK (some larger stores take Euros) and Swiss Francs in Switzerland. Dollars and Euros are readily convertible in any bank though.

Britain has established a great love of the credit card, but don't try it for taxis or bars. The Dutch are a cash-orientated society and although credit cards are becoming more common than they were, most transactions are cash and many retail outlets take cash only. Those that take credit cards sometimes take MasterCard OR Visa but not both!

Thanks, everyone, for the info and tips. Buckworks, that is an excellent idea about one page to check everything. I'm excited to go, as long the terrorists behave themselves.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by buckworks.com:
    Make a page that links to the log-in pages for everything you might want to check on while you're away. Put that page onine somewhere it's not linked to anything, but you can easily remember the URL. This makes it faster and easier to check your accounts when you get a chance for a few minutes online here or there. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good advice. That's what I'm doing for my trip to Holland (leaving for the airport in less than 2 hours) - but be sure to password protect that page if there's anything confidential on it. I forgot that once, and one of the companies I was affiliated with told me they had been checking their stats and found the page.

There are some excellent websites offering advice to travellers. Travel advice for Americans

Umm what like how to use a roundabout and how to get a manual transmission car into reverse [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I work for a New York company and it's always a source of amusement the first time they come over.. "wow.. you have a *railroad* station?" ummm yeah.

No, the above link is MUCH more helpful!

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread