Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    YouTube - "Invention of the Year for 2006."
    Heard this this morning. Guess that Big G must be pretty proud of their investment

Time magazine has named the video-sharing Web site YouTube as its "Invention of the Year for 2006." The magazine says YouTube's scale and sudden popularity have changed how information is distributed.
    Source:
    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=6447309

ROFLMAO! Invention of the year? Wow. I never knew YouTube invented online videos.

ABW Ambassador
    Who said they invented online videos?

That's the implication. All YouTube is a video sharing site, which have been around for quite some time. The only difference is that is became a "hit" and made it popular. That doesn't make it an "invention".

The magazine says YouTube's scale and sudden popularity have changed how information is distributed.
    Scale is a matter of popularity in this case, and exactly what did youtube do that it "invented" a new way, or how things are distributed?

The only scale which youtube has grown is the sheer amount of copyright violations it has allowed to be placed on their site. If I knew they were going to give awards out for violations then perhaps it would have had competition. Though that is starting to come to an end as with the Google deal has made many companies file the proper DMCA notices and have their content pulled.

We can't copy TV shows and distribute them to our friends/family/strangers via cd or other means, but we can "youtube" it? What gives them immunity? They make money on the advertising they generate (which means it's not a truly "free" site), but even with that most youtube content pushes the limit of "fair use" if not just breaks it outright.

I guess I have a problem with people using someone elses copyrighted content (a lot illegally) and yet gets bought for 1.65 billion.

ABW Ambassador
    If you dont think youtube didn't something new, then i don't think you get youtube. It isn't about copyright violation, it is about setting up a community, ease of use, immediacy of content - it broke the back of mark cuban's arguments - it isn't about quality of content, it is about ease of access. The site is a massive mind shift, it empowered end users to create, share and discuss content in a way no site previously had done.

Does it share its root with others? Of course, nothing is made in a vacuum, but this just reminds me of the myspace thread. The web is more than websites.

YouTube is AWESOME!

One thing I think we can all agree on is they've made quite a stir in the industry.

Personally, I'm a fan...

You don't have to "get" youtube. It's a site that allows others and itself to violate copyrights at a breakneck pace and make a profit off of it. If you are a big fan of such actions then I hope that someday that someone else takes your copyrighted material and makes a profit off of it and pays you absolutely nothing.

I love how people are selective on when it's acceptable to violate our/others copyrights and when it's not. If a scraper steals your content then all hell breaks loose, but if it's youtube or google it's perfectly fine. Why is that?

There were "other" communities that also allowed for video sharing and the like, and certainly MANY more today. Youtube has certainly allowed, much like MySpace, a lot of commercialization from large corporations to promote there wares as well.

Sure it has helped a few people to get their 15 minutes of fame. Though Numa Numa was a bigger hit before youtube was "popular" it did help the likes of the Evolution of Dance guy.

Google appears to be addressing the copyright infringement issue;

Google Moving Fast to Curb YouTube Copyright Concerns

Yeah, it's messy and a problem, but I'm sure the execs at Google are confident they can resolve these copyright infringement issues... if they didn't think they could, they would never have paid the big bucks to purchase it. Innovation is often a messy process.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread