AdWords Question
    I'm setting up a PPC (AdWords) campaign for a new site, and I was all excited because no one is bidding on keywords for this niche - so I thought I could buy clicks at 1 cent apiece. I guess I was wrong, though! AdWords is now telling me that nine of my desired keywords are "Inactive for search", so I have to either "increase quality" or up my bids.

I'm a bit lost as to why this is. Is this just Google's way of squeezing more money out of me? Not sure how I should proceed from here...

Thanks from a PPC newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Gingerbread
    I'm setting up a PPC (AdWords) campaign for a new site, and I was all excited because no one is bidding on keywords for this niche - so I thought I could buy clicks at 1 cent apiece. I guess I was wrong, though! AdWords is now telling me that nine of my desired keywords are "Inactive for search", so I have to either "increase quality" or up my bids.

I'm a bit lost as to why this is. Is this just Google's way of squeezing more money out of me? Not sure how I should proceed from here...

Thanks from a PPC newbie
    Lot of it may have to do with their quality checks they've been doing recently. To give you an example, some of my campaigns have been paused indefinitely, with an average original CPC of between $.30 to $.60. Now it's up to between $5 and $10 per click.

The only way to improve the CPC is to improve the quality of your landing pages - which seems to be a pretty difficult thing to do! Here is more info: https://adwords.google.com/select/siteguidelines.html

How much is it asking you to increase your bid to make keywords active? If it is to 10 cents or less, you may want to go ahead and do that, depending on what niche you are in and how profitable it is.

And yes, try to optomize your website for the top keywords in your niche, this should help drive down ad costs.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Minimum bid is ALL about quality - don't optimize for keywords, work on stuff that MoneyBusiness linked to above.

Be aware that minimum bid tends to mean (always means?) that this is the actual figure you will pay per click.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Min bid means that if you are below that amount, you'll get zero imps.

To a large degree, what you pay depends on the people below you. The people at the top tend to be fewer and more spread out. In the middle and bottom, you're just marginally above the person below you in the auction, so there's usually little drop off between your bid and the actual CPC.

See here for more:
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...cost+per+click

Thanks everyone. I had somehow completely forgotten about Google's crackdown in the "quality" arena, even though I read plenty about it back when it first happened.

Nanotube: Adwords seems to want me to bid between 20 and 50 cents a click for my various now "inactive" keywords. Problem is that this isn't really a super profitable niche (at least I don't think it is). I was just hoping to make some sales because there is literally no one else doing PPC for it through Adwords.

I'm still a bit confused as to why some of my keywords are okay and others are apparently not - when they point to the same page. Wouldn't this mean that it's not the "quality" of my landing page that's the problem? Or is Google scanning my landing page, comparing it to my ad, and then determining whether the landing page would provide enough information related to the ad? And if I increase the "quality" of my landing page to Google's liking, does that mean that I'll be able to bid as low as I want and still get impressions?

Hmm - I seem to keep going deeper down the rabbit hole here.

Verbosely Virtuous Mutt spacedog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingerbread
    I'm still a bit confused as to why some of my keywords are okay and others are apparently not - when they point to the same page. Wouldn't this mean that it's not the "quality" of my landing page that's the problem? Or is Google scanning my landing page, comparing it to my ad, and then determining whether the landing page would provide enough information related to the ad? And if I increase the "quality" of my landing page to Google's liking, does that mean that I'll be able to bid as low as I want and still get impressions?

Hmm - I seem to keep going deeper down the rabbit hole here.
    Unfortunately, Google has made it quite the deep rabbit hole of late, and you're not alone. To answer your question about some kwds made inactive, others not, in my observation it's a much much simpler answer. Donuts, TrustNo1 or others can correct me if they believe otherwise.

Basically, in the same Ad Group, if you've been Google-whacked by the landing page quality bot, pretty much all of the keywords that actually get any impressions are hit with the ludicrously high minimum bid price, and the only ones that remain active at the basic lower price you started with, are those that will almost never be shown. So effectively, you're screwed for all kwds that normally get any traffic in that ad group (actually, you're usually screwed for the entire domain that those ads lie in) until you can make major changes that would satisfy the landing page quality bot. And it's very hard to do that. Take a look at MoneyBusiness's link; it has some starting points for improvement. But it's also vague and you can't know if all the work you're doing is going to get you back active again, or not. You can cross your fingers. And it doesn't happen by itself. You must contact Google support and ask them to reassess your site after you've made changes.

All that being said, I do see some signs that Google is doing a better job now removing more of the truly poor quality sites from the PPC results: that is, the link farm pages, the Made-For-Adsense arbitrage spammers like toseeka.com, gawwk.com and shopica.com among others (with my apologies if anyone who reads this is responsible for those aforementioned arbitrage sites that offer no help to a visitor, except effectively forcing them to jump from one search engine result to another set of search engine results.... UGH! If you read this and you own those sites, please feel free to PM me and explain why you should be allowed to market that ridiculous way even though all 3 major search engines say it's against their policies).

Of course, while some of their results are now gone from Google, the same spammers have set up shop in MSN and Yahoo PPC. And the eBayers and Amazoners who bid on every known keyword in the universe, seem to be allowed to stay in Google's PPC results. Google has a long way to go to make their PPC a real "valuable user experience" as they say is their intent with this landing page update.

I have lots of keywords that I get for less than my minimum bid. Guess I have been lucky with them, but I don't bid more than I would be willing to pay so it is like a little bonus.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread