I could just cry...
    OK, I just spent the past week working until 4am, 18 hours/day building a new site. It's very exciting as it's a product database, and is supposed to give readers a way to search for for more related products. It was important to give them this before the big christmas rush. It adds so much to the origiinal site...

Today.. launch of site... I could just cry. It's perfect, I was SO proud of myself. Then I noticed traffic on my regular site was low (where there was a Big Announcement).

My AdWords campaign has slowed to a crawl.. today. Another algorithm change..?!?! I depend on it to increase site exposure, while natural search has steadily improved (and it has, one good thing here).

So I have a wonderful new site, and hardly any readers to show it to. Thanks google.. just when I needed some encouragement, you pass judgement on my "landing page". I have fresh content daily, reader Q&A section, a weekly column from someone known in the field.. and much more. It's sure looks like "quality" to me (going by the google guidelines...)

I'm tired & frustrated, but not ready to give up. I would LOVE some words of encouragement.

I always come back to this forum 'cos everyone here gets it.. and thanks for letting me vent!

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    try
    http://www.prnewswire.com/
    or some other sources

Google adwords just did another algo change hitting both search AND content networks.

People receiving 1000's visitors/clicks a day from content ads are now only receiving a trickle.

They have now applied their "quality score" to content ad websites/ad pages.

ah, that's why my adwords now say $10 instead of .22.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by gettnthar
    Google adwords just did another algo change hitting both search AND content networks.

People receiving 1000's visitors/clicks a day from content ads are now only receiving a trickle.

They have now applied their "quality score" to content ad websites/ad pages.
    What they had on the Adwords blog seemed to say that it was the advertisers with ads running on the content network getting hit. Where is there news or reports about publisher pages also getting hit?

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Something "different" seemed to be happening yesterday w.r.t. Google ads. I wonder what today will bring.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    quality scoring is now applied to content network min bids PLUS there was a further refinement (unspecified, as usual) in the landing page quality scoring. some people are seeing impact on search side, many are seeing drastic impact on content. if you got whacked earlier (few months ago) on search, content now hurting you.

.. just noticed an interesting pattern.. traffic from AdWords (content) has always been very steady.

This is what happened yesterday:

Nov 8:
    2:30am to 4am - no traffic from content ads
    10:45am to 4:40pm - no traffic from content ads

Nov 9
    12:45am to 5:15am - no traffic from content ads

If I didn't hear about landing page quality, I would think they were rotating ads...

As has been said, it's probably the recent change in the content network assessment that explains it. See the following for more info (and rants):-

http://www.threadwatch.org/node/10007
    http://www.threadwatch.org/node/10124

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah, they whacked about 80% of my ads the first time and the 20% left was pretty much content network and that just got whacked a little more.

But if you use Adsense, if the advertisers bids go up, it should reflect in higher payouts. It should but maybe it stays the same. Anybody making more thru Adsense last day or so? Today I am. I have already equaled what I made yesterday on 1/3 the impressions. Not enough data, 1 day and I'm only using it on one site. So this could be great for those that use Adsense.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Not enough data yet, I'm seeing quite a bit of variance day-by-day for this month.

AdSense is up slightly today, but nothing major.

In regard to the original post there are several avenues that may work just as well if not better than your own marketing channel. Using a press release was mentioned and that's definitely something you want to do. Another wonderful way to get the word out is through blogs. There are lots of blogs out there that do site reviews and announce new releases. Some of these are worth tens of thousands of visits for a single post, so you might want to seek them out.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Thanks for the suggestions! A friend had mentioned a press release as well, so I'm definitely going to do that.

As a general question.. what's the view on Link Exchange programs these days..?

I've had some requests, but I run the site as a business (not a blog; even though there is daily "fun" commentary, it's all product related). I've also implemented a proper advertising program for stores with no affiliate program But does anyone think a properly-managed reciprocal link program could work..?

Ironically, the last 2 requests were for toolbars/shopping comparison sites (i.e. competing affiliates) who suggested my readers might be interested in their site.

Never give up, as soon as you do that is when things will begin to turn around. The interenet is very challenging and when you get it right it will be very rewarding!

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread