Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Millionaire on training wheels Justdoit's Avatar
    How long does it take you on average to make a new page for a product?
    If you have a keyword list and picked a product how long does it take you to make an optmized page for that product? Just curious, wondering if I'm slow or where I stand on making pages.. :rolleyes:

Now that I'm on cable, I at least target 4 pages a day. Some days I get lazy and I only make 2-3 pages. I usually list down on paper what I want to accomplish on that day and it works as I get to prioritize what needs to be done.

Previously on dial-up, I usually target 2 pages a day.

I usually do between 20-100 pages a day, depends on my mood and which merchants I'm working with. But I'm an obsessive web page builder and take things to extremes than many probably don't :-)

That's awesome Heidi!

I envy you...if only I have more time I know I can do 500 pages. I should set a new goal, a page a minute, that would take 8 hours of work a day non-stop. Just do it [img]tongue.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    I really only do a section a day....Example I will do....Baby....toys, so I'll make 10 pages of Baby Toys, as an example. My daily goal is at least 10 pages per day....if I'm in the mood, I can do about 50 in one day, but I do what inspires me, and If I'm not in web mode, I won't work much,

Summer is hard for me, I enjoy family time, and got to enjoy the heat, flowers and gardening. So these last couple weeks, I think I'd be lucky to say I've built 10 pages at all....mind you one week was with the stress of my sister in law, and the funural, and then I've had family over etc.

I've got to take the computer in and see why I can't multi task....that's been driving me crazy....for the last few days, This way this week I can get back to work, and build some Pages......

ABW Ambassador
    I don't make pages for one product, but for lines of products.

That said, one page generally takes me 5-7 hours. Sometimes more, sometimes less.

Coding is not the issue, I'm a very fast coder (I've been doing it for 6-7 years, practice helps) and I use the same layout for every page. My time is taken with choosing which merchants to feature, choosing which of their specific products, resizing graphics (I never use graphic links provided, they too often don't fit in my layout), and fine-tuning SE phrases.

Some weeks I do four or five pages, some weeks I do one or two, and there have even been weeks when I haven't done ANY.... where does the time go? lol.

ABW Ambassador
    To actually make the page takes an hour or two. Writing and tweaking the copy is the most time-consuming part.

On the other hand, planning to begin to get ready to start to commence to proceed to actually get to work can take days.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by buckworks.com:

On the other hand, planning to begin to get ready to start to commence to proceed to actually get to work can take days.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Boy is that true!

Heidi / Meowser,

Like I said in the chatroom. When do you find time to sleep? I really need to quit this day job of mine.. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Core

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Core:
    Heidi / Meowser,

Like I said in the chatroom. When do you find time to sleep? I really need to quit this day job of mine.. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I do actually sleep about 6 hours a day, though most who know me online don't believe it for a second [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I'm on my computer anywhere from 14-18 hours a day most of the time. I tend to work to the point of total burn out and then take a few days break and catch up on all the other things I let slide like housework.

What a great thread! Everyone is so different in approach. It seems that there's no real rule here because a lot of the responders who I know do well also do things quite differently.

Personally, I'm a little like Cedric - I spend most of my time choosing merchants and products (glad to know someone out there resizes graphics - I was wondering if I should/ could since they always seem to be too big for my needs). Plus, of course, picking out SE phrases (I've actually written articles based around keyword phrases I've seen in my stats - I figure that if people come to my site in search of something specific, I should be just as specific in giving it to them. Doing this generally sits me in very good stead with Google).

I write ad copy way faster than I do content copy. Ad copy is a lot about technique. My approach to content changes with the subject matter - there's no one real technique. I may take up to a couple of days to write a content feature. A full page of ad copy (something that's more geared towards selling than content) generally takes me a couple of hours - it always takes longer than this, though, because for me such pages are often link-heavy and it's time consuming to get all the links together and insert them.

This is a great thread! It's obvious that everyone has an individual way of working, and I find I get more done if I'm really in the mood to do it.

It's a beautiful thing when the words flow from your head to the keyboard in rapid succession. When I have other things on my mind, it seems the words don't come as easily and it takes a lot longer to accomplish things.

It is a good feeling to finish up a page and know that it looks good. Now, if it'll just sell... :rolleyes:

Andy

Action Jackson - King of the World
    I try to do between 5-10 pages a day. Sure haven't done that the last few days tho LOL. I am currently working by category to finsih those pages so it takes a little longer than if I'm doing a variety of different pages

ABW Ambassador
    My goal is a page a day but lately that hasn't happened as I have been working on a project to make my sites really sizzle.

Mike

I like to make sites for products, and not just a page. If I'm motivated, I'll select the new product, the targeted keywords, buy a domain, and have a 10-30 page site built before the dns propogates across the net. If I'm not motivated, I'll get to the initial building phase and then leave it for an endless period of time. This can take months and I'll usually finish many other sites before getting back to work on it.. As it stands now, I have 27 unused domains waiting to have a site built for them..

I also like to work in phases.. I'll build heaps of sites over a 2-4 week peiod, and then I'll get slack and build no sites for months.. My wife and kids really seem to enjoy it when I'm slack, so this is a good thing in my little corner of the world..

[ 07-16-2002: Message edited by: TK ]

Truly a very helpful thread. Very interesting.

I work in phases. I decide on what I will work on when the day begins. During the course of that day, if there are things to get done, I write notes. So during the day I get some of those notes done as well.

Usually 5-10 pgs a day, depending. Tweaking, redefining, changing, reworking, updating, make another. About 5 hrs. I too am online 15 hrs a day. Sleep 8 hrs.

Sometimes while working I tend to stray, got into a great article somewhere, or found some great useful tips and will loose track of where I am.

One thing, I will not hurry to get something done. In time I will have lots of pages. When I first started here at ABW I had about 22 pages. Now I have over 130.

I believe, if you build it they will come, but no one said hurry.

Millionaire on training wheels Justdoit's Avatar
    Okay. now I don't feel so bad. If I don't have 3 kids pulling me in different direction I can make 2 pages an hour if I have everything all set up and ready to go with keywords and templates.I work in spurts during the day and a lot is done late at night since I'm a night owl anyway.
    Now to make 1000 pages and get going faster. :eek:

My goal was to do a page a day as well but that's turned into only about 4 a week. It usually takes me about half an hour to do a product page (50% adcopy, 50% info).

I did spend about 7 days redoing an old content site of mine at the beginning of the month. That was 30 pages and each one was optimized, it was a complete site redesign and 60% of the content was new as well.

3-4 days for one simple page. The layout is usually quite simple and based on one I've made previously. Its the keywords/phrases, and copy writing: title, description and text that take the time. I'd really love to see a page that is one of 10 or more made in a day. I wonder what it looks like 'cos perhaps I'm over-complicating things. But I don't expect anyone to reveal all since I appreciate people's pages are secret.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tmd5:
    I'd really love to see a page that is one of 10 or more made in a day. I wonder what it looks like 'cos perhaps I'm over-complicating things. But I don't expect anyone to reveal all since I appreciate people's pages are secret.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your welcome to view any of my sites. You will find them by going to the site listed in my signature.

After you have your site concept and domain name, how many pages do you build before you upload and host to the web? Or do you upload and submit the index page and start working on additional pages from there?

When you say that you are making pages, is that usually just for a single product, or a whole section of products on one page? What usually works the best?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by drumminlogan:
    When you say that you are making pages, is that usually just for a single product, or a whole section of products on one page? What usually works the best?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I use a combination of both ideas. Just depends on the product/service that I'm featuring.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bghtn:
    After you have your site concept and domain name, how many pages do you build before you upload and host to the web? Or do you upload and submit the index page and start working on additional pages from there?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I start with the index page and upload it. If I'm not going to have time to break it up into all the categories I want right away I will link up the categories to a merchant or multiple merchants and then slowly replace those links with product pages on my own site usually.

Wow Heidi!

You must type 500 wpm! Your sites
    look great too -- very concise and
    targetted.

Way to go!

For me, I can usually do about 2 pages
    a day if I'm motivated. Lately, it's been
    hard just to log on. I've got 12
    domains waiting for website. I can think
    up great websites Fast -- getting them
    built is another story :rolleyes:

It seems that Money Alone is Not a great