Here's some info I think may be useful - affiliate link cloaking.

It was done by Jim Edwards and got a good review from Neil Shearing.

Here's the link Jim sent me to check it out.
    Give it a look.

Affiliate Link Cloaker

We are looking for your opinion not whether you buy it or not.

Hmmm..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    Even better, if you try to find the affiliate link by clicking View>>Source on your browser, you can’t! Because all you’ll get is a confusing garble of hexadecimal code, like this:

[Damn can't paste the numeric data, the board converts it to text]

That’s why I say only the most determined professional affiliate thief could hijack THIS affiliate link – BECAUSE IT’S TOTALLY ENCRYPTED!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, it's encoded into ASCII values, not encrypted, and you might have some compatibility issues with certain browsers, but the principle is a sound one, assuming that the scumware programmers are lazy enough not to counter it.

However, the conversion itself is almost laughably simple. You could knock it together in visual basic or just about any other programming language as a very simple exercise.

[ 07-16-2002: Message edited by: Dynamoo ]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Here's the link Jim sent me to check it out.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The link Jim sent you to check out? It's your own affiliate link!

For God's sake, Fred, at least be honest about your spam. You're worse than a used car dealer.

Well I wouldn't expect it not to be an affiliate link [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Fred, at least be honest about your spam<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

disclaimer:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>We are looking for your opinion not whether you buy it or not.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you, Fred. It looks interesting.

And *if* I decide to buy it, you deserve the affiliate commission on the sale.

I must admit that whenever I see a page with a high density of bold script I know I am being <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>sold<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> something!

Prof, keep these ideas flowing. I may not buy but I love your style!

[ 07-16-2002: Message edited by: GaryS ]

I got the link from Jim in email...it's the only one I had...I don't want you to buy it, just let me know what you think.

I didn't even know it existed until early this morning.

Most of his stuff sells pretty well, but this is something different and I thought the idea was okay.

If I TELL YOU NOT to buy don't.

When are you all going to get a 'you know what' clue that we will all succeed together or fail separately because NO ONE KNOWS everything.

If you don't think that's true, just wait and see.

Sounds like a nifty idea, but durnit, I'm a hardcore Mac girl - wish these software people would be more accomdating towards us.

ABW Ambassador
    Fred - It's a nice idea but keep in mind that the target market for this thing is people who've "been around the block".

It might actually sell a whole lot better if the fast sales talk was toned down quite a bit.

Yeah. Something like...

"Stash your affiliate links - safely away from greedy little paws! Give your page a new filename and press a little button.

Scumsuckers are back forging welfare checks in the time it takes to upload!

Click HERE!"

It'd work on me anyway. Especially if it could do global stashing.

I

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I will let you have the Affiliate Link Cloaker for only $59. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

For what it does, it's expensive. Because the programming is so simple, a canny programmer could do it on a web page and use it as a traffic snare for webmasters.

ABW Ambassador
    Do you mean something like this? http://www.poehosting.com/encode.php

You do have to copy your code into something else to do the replace, but since it is replace all, seems pretty simple.

Considering I did that in 15 minutes while drinking and taking a break from GTA3, I don't think it is really worth $50. Or am I missing something? I am pretty sleepy.

Chet

That's the chappie.. you could add some sophistication by just parsing and encoding the URL component.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>parsing and encoding the URL component.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Uh, you are way over my head with all that.

I saw the word "parsing" used once before this month. Could someone tell me what the heck "parsing" is and do you serve it with catsup or mustard?

ABW Ambassador
    Just playing around last night, I think you can pretty much encode everything but the html and body tags. So if you grab everything in between.

That or just stick in your url. If get more free time (hahahaha) or people actually use it, I might look at it further. I don't really see the value - but if others do?

Chet

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread