Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Millionaire on training wheels Justdoit's Avatar
    What drives you to succeed in the affiliate marketing game?
    We all have our reason for being in this business but what is the driving force behind your business, that really makes you want to succeed?
    It's just human nature that some will be more sucessful than others, just as in real life but I'm curiuos to know what motivates you to excel online?
    For me, it would have to be proving people wrong. I have not had a regular job for the last 16 years since my oldest was born. Always worked for myself, I have a problem with bosses and attitudes.. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    I've always been self employed in one way or another, and even after being widowed 4 years ago the though of getting a regular job never occured to me.
    Less than 3 years ago my BIL gave me a new computer for Xmas and said he'd talk to me in 6 months after I figured out how to use it. I didn't know a mouse from a modem.
    I could read though, and read the manual that came with the PC and managed to get it set up and running.
    I spent the first few months online just surfing around and found the pay to surf programs and mlm programs, and started to make a few dollars. One mlm was going great much to the disbelief of my BIL, but when it folded all I heard was I told you so.
    So now switching focus and getting into affiliate marketing full time.
    Many who know me wonder how I managed to get online since I'm so technologically challenged never mind making a dollar or two.
    My main reason is to prove people wrong and to prove to myself that you can make money online and work in comfy pj's.
    What's your driving force??

I wish I could be as lucid as you with my driving forces but I am afraid it is pure and simply greed, I want the money [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Seriously I was computer illiterate a few years ago, many here will say I still am. I just started to make myself a webpage to see if I could do it when there were plenty of free hosts about. Then after a while and a few more pages I decided I would make another site about something I knew about and started my backpacking site mainly to pass on my hard earned knowledge and help other backpackers. After a while I realised some people made money with their sites so I joined CJ. added a few links made a couple of coppers and it developed from there.

As my earnings went up (only a bit) I decided to make some more sites and hopefuly one day I will be able to earn enough to retire and live the life of Riley [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

[edited to correct my attrocious spelling and grammar]

[ 07-14-2002: Message edited by: Gordon ]

ABW Ambassador
    What is currently driving me to succeed at the moment is a little "friendly competition" between some other ABW members here.

While there is no physical wager, we are all trying to outdo each other with TigerDirect sales.

I suppose there will be no real loser here, especially if we all manage to improve our sales. The big winner will be Andy & TD [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I just hope my TD commission check is as big as my mouth! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    #1 - Desire - to provide the best of the world for my kids.

What drives me is steady progress; seeing my efforts starting to pay off.

Hearing other's success stories inspires me.

And seeing that what the most successful affiliates are doing is not fundamentally any different from what I am doing gives me confidence; seeing that I am not "chasing a rainbow".

---------------------------

Akoss drives me to Harvard Square when I feel like having Peet's instead of Starbucks. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img]

---------------------------

Having a place like ABW - the people here who have shared so much of their time and energy for the benefit of myself and all others - makes me feel an obligation to succeed, because it would be a crying shame to waste their good will and wisdom.

[ 07-14-2002: Message edited by: Deelz ]

"Show me the Money!"

That line motivates me [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

My main motivation is avoiding going back to a j*b.

My next big motivation is the money. In this day and age it seems like one is either getting ahead or getting behind financially. I'm tired of being in the getting behind category and what that entails when my kids want/need something that costs money.

My next big motivation is the money. I tithe 10% of all income to charity, and would like that sum to be substantial. I'd also like to start increasing the percentage towards 20%, but will not put my family on the line to do so. More money in means more money to help out others.

My next big motivation is the money (did I say that already [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] ).

My next big motivation is my pleasure principle. I get a whole lot of pleasure at succeeding in something, especially when I am the only one who defines what that success is!

Lastly, I hope that soon what drives me to success will have 4 wheels and air conditioning :rolleyes: [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img] .

Money [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] I'm due to retire at the end of this year and would face a bleak future without the affiliate income. This business has made my whole future look a lot brighter, and I enjoy the biz more than any other occupation I've ever had [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>What's your driving force??<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The fact that I love my work and am having the time of my life doing it!

This may sound cheesey but what the hey. My driving force is freedom. With a $10,000 monthly supplemental income I could, Retire early from a job that I don't always enjoy, travel, grow as a person by taking lessons in different areas, (music, martial arts, etc.)have freedom to go see my family when I want, and most of all..free my wife from her job.
    We too tithe, and to see that amount grow on a monthly basis will be very rewarding.
    Although I am in the learning phase of this business, I am believing more and more each day that it can be done.
    On a side note, I am so glad to hear some of you are technologically challenged. I thought I was the only one :rolleyes: my major challenge now is learning an application that I am comfortable with on building web sites. I know there will be many challenges ahead but thanks to this board..I won't be alone.

ABW Ambassador
    Main motivating factor? The opportunity to work at home. Which is not quite the same as avoiding a job... I don't mind having a job (have even enjoyed them in the past), but I like working at home better.

Now that I am making enough to live on, what motivates me to make more? Not much (yes, I am bored and yes, it doesn't take much money for me to go "that'll do"). But I keep building pages just in case something that I'm currently selling goes bad -- diversification as protection.

So I guess my second motivating factor is protection against the future.

ABW Ambassador
    In the beginning my driving force was just wanting to be able to support my kids and have food on the table and not have to wait for the child support checks that NEVER seemed to come. Plus, my desire to indirectly prove my kids father wrong when he literally was beating my a** and told me that I would never be sh*t without him about 7 years ago. Look at me now fool. Hah, hah.

Now having been successful, my driving force is just wanting to stay on top and continue to succeed and build a cushion that will be ever so soft and uninflatable for me and my family and never have to go to work for anyone else ever again.

I would have to agree with Wly... "Show me the money." I would also have to say that the car payment I have each month is another thing that drives me to work harder and do better...

I love the fact that you can throw that in your kid's father's face! People that beat women piss me off! There is no excuse to physically or mentally abuse women and chidren, ever!

Core

I don't really have a driving force yet, I guess that's why I haven't been creating any new sites yet, just adding to the existing ones. Got a great job, I hope Leader doesn't choke on that one, but they do exist, I will probably become more motivated once I break a couple hundred bucks a day and start rivaling my real job.

Jada, I'm so happy you are out of that situation, it's going to be even better once he realizes his mistake and tries to get you back, hehe.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Anger, that's my motivation. I worked for ten years in a family owned business, with the understanding that I would replace my father-in-law when he retired. Since we did not have anything in writing, he has 'changed his mind'. I am building this so I can shove it in my in-laws faces for not believing in me.

And frankly, I am trying to retire before my father-in-law does: that would rule.

-elbowcreek

@ elbowcreek

I know the feeling only in my case it was my own bloody father and brother who did it. :mad: :mad:

I never spoke to either of them again after.

I hope you succeed and retire before him.

ABW Ambassador affiliatemakeover's Avatar
    My motivation comes from the fact that I no longer wish to work for people of whom I have no respect, personally or professionally.

ABW Ambassador
    My motivations are many:-

1) The pleasure I get from having a second income stream outside of my main employment.

2) The pleasure I get from building my sites and watching them mature and from actually developing someting that works for me whilst I'm asleep.

3) The fun I have spending that extra cash on luxury items for me and my family that I normally wouldn't buy - I look on my affiliate earnings as 'free' money.

4) The hope that on day I'll have salted enough away that i won't have to worry massively about each financial decision I make.

5) I like doing it.

ABW Ambassador
    My motivations are:-

I can not face to work for others again. Not that I feel I am above work, I just don’t have the motivation to go through a work day trying to convince others that what I am doing is “the best” and that my motivation is to “work my way to the top” with all the other “top managers”. Been there, done that, not interested anymore.

I can fit my work time around my kids.

I like doing this. My own imagination, my own time planning, and my own results.

ABW Ambassador
    Q-ball - <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>he realizes his mistake and tries to get you back, hehe.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>. We've been broken up for almost 7 years now. He knows there not a hot chance in h*ll that he'll ever get this back. I have been with my new wonderful, loving SO for 2 years and 9 months now. He's my angel, he showed me what real love was all about. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Core - he got it all back - he suffers everyday with the way his life has turned out.

What drives me is steady progress; seeing my efforts starting to pay off. This I agree with. I love the challenge of things.

Not to work outside the home again.
    Money.

I love what I do too and want to remain doing this.

Jadakiss, I know what you mean, try 17 years.
    I left him 4 yrs ago. I suffered alot.
    THere are many reasons this has to work for me. I absolutely have no other choice.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    That's right, rewardme, 'I have no other choice.' That's exactly where I am. Only, add pi**** off, lol.

My motivation is a little different-
    I like games and this is the longest game of cops and robbers I have ever played,( 3 years ) and if I make a few bucks along the way then I'm winning. And even if I don't win all the time it's still a lot of Fun.

Millionaire on training wheels Justdoit's Avatar
    Wow, it's kinda neat to see all the different responses and our reasons to succeed.
    It seems we all do things for our own reasons, but the commmon thread seems to be freedom, looks like we are a very unique bunch from different continents and countries with the same goals in mind.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>THere are many reasons this has to work for me. I absolutely have no other choice. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

this is where I was at too when I started building -- I can't really say any more, as my hubby often lurks about....., but lets say I feel 1000x more in control of my life now.

I started out much like Gordon. I found a freebie host with an online text editor. Learned enough HTML to build a 3 page website in one weekend and it just grew from there.

I've learned so much and knowing there is so much more to learn is what drives me. My grandfather said, "The day you stop learning is the day you begin dying."

I must say that the freedom factor is also a major driving force. I've been independently employed since 1970 (with a few j*bs along the way) doing what I enjoy most. If it's not fun, challenging or rewarding, I just don't do it! :cool:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast