Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    opinions on computers wanted..please:)
    Faced with the prospect of my husband either killing me or getting another computer we've opted to get another computer. Seemed the better of the two options. For some time now he has seemed to think that it is his desk and his computer. I on the other hand don't know where he has gotten that crazy idea. I'm at the desk more than he is and I'm the one using the computer more than him......so this has led to a rather cranky husband.

We can't make up our minds to just get a regular ole deal like most people or he take the one I'm using now and get a little better one for me. (Either way....I'm getting the better of the two ) We have a Dell Dimension 4800 now and I've been very cranky the last week cos the 2 yr. old monitor just upped and stopped working. Dell's reply was to take it to Circuit City and they'd tell us who to take it to. Not too pleased with that response. It's been sitting at the computer repair guy's place and still waiting for it's outcome.

We had been thinking of just getting another Dell but not too pleased with them right now but guess if that's still the best way to go....will go there.. Sooooo please gimmeee your opinions. Just for like an average computer who do you like??? Needless to say hubby thinks I'm the cause of the monitor's premature death since I'm on it all the time. Opinions would be greatly appreciated

Hey Purplebear -

I just bought my fourth Dell - all are still working just fine, including the three year-old Dimension 8300 on my desk as I key this note. I suppose that's because I bought the long term warranty . . .

My experience with computer discount store PCs has been miserable. They seem to last about as long as a cheap lightbulb. Our business requires dependability, so I go online direct to Dell.

They often have sales and promotions . . .

Noah
    Stuffed Ark.com
    Last edited by Noah; November 11th, 2006 at 12:36 PM. Reason: spelling

Regarding your monitor, your probably better off buying a new one instead of getting it repaired. One, it might be cheaper, and two, the new one should last longer than the one that was repaired. Unless Dell is paying to have it fixed, tell the repairman to trash it and snag you a nice one from Newegg or Tigerdirect.

For a new computer, Tigerdirect has been running some pretty good deals on their Systemax PCs. I've been looking those over for awhile, but I'm holding out until Windows Vista has been released for about a year or so (to work out the kinks) before replacing my machine.

Don't forget though, as long as you are using the computer/monitor for affiliate marketing, you can write it off your taxes
    Scott
    If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, then baffle them with bulls#!t
    Don't tell me that you'll do it... SHOW ME.
    Just because everyone else is drinking it is no reason for me to drink the KOOL-AID.

Hi Purplebear,

Just to throw in my two cents worth. I prefer HP, but my college age daughter swears by Dell. The wife and I have HP laptops that give us great service. The daughters Dell laptop has been through 3 years of dorm room abuse and countless "tosses" into her cars back seat and still performs like a champ.

Hope this helps,
    Joey

Get a new monitor. If you do some searching, you can find some really good deals. I like newegg.com and zipzoomfly.com for computer parts. I got a Viewsonic VG181b a few years ago from Dell. The reg price was over $600. I ended up getting it for just over $400. I usually decide on a model based on needs and reviews and then research prices and coupons and look for the best bottom line with a fair return/warranty policy.

I too agree that Dell is the way to go. I'm on my third Dell laptop right now plus I'm still running an old Dell desktop from '02 as a fileserver it runs like a champ to this day. I've also got a 19" Dell LCD that I've been spoiled with for awhile now.

I've had nothing but good luck with Dell, but I have seen *plenty* of 'out of the box' retail computers go south quite early in their life.

HTH,

Adam

I also just bought a new Dell, and I'm pretty happy. I bought it through DellOutlet.com (which sells returned computers, so you have to hunt around to find something you want).

Be careful when buying Dell, because they "unbundle" support and service. That means you need to clearly understand which service contract or support options are actually available. They won't provide any kind of technical support for Windows, for example, and of course neither will Microsoft.

Dell (and everyone else, I think) pre-installs dozens of unnecessary software programs, and it's quite difficult to figure out which of these can safely be removed, and which are required for some functionality. I had to call several times, and was told several times that Dell doesn't provide software support so I couldn't get any info about these pre-installed programs. I just kept calling and escalating calls until I found a supervisor willing to walk me through this "garbage removal" process.

Apple all the way! Better, more robust operating system with no virus or parasite problems. Not to mention very slick hardware.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

ABW Ambassador
    "Just for like an average computer who do you like???

emachines, sold at Best Buy, Circuit City, Office Depot, CompUSA etc.

http://www.e4me.com/

Was voted #1 by Consumer Reports in the "average category"

I'm on my second one now, 0 problems. Doens't come bundled with any type of crapware, just good stuff.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    What is your budget?
    What are you looking for?

There is a Dell Deal going on rite now.
    dell 5150 Desktop PC + 19" LCD for $399
    Free shipping and if dell is not at the mall, no tax. you can get 1% cash rebate

not the top of the line with the core duo, atlhlon x2 but for $400 + 19" LCD, can't beat that. I have dells all the way @ home. my dell 17" LCD have been good to me for the past 4-5 yrs

Here are the specs of the deal and check ur PM for link
    Processor Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 524 (3.06GHz, 533FSB) edit
    Operating System Genuine Windows® XP Home Edition edit
    Memory 512MB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz (2x256M) edit
    Internal Hard Drives 80GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/ 8MB cache edit
    Optical Drive Single Drive: 16X DVD-ROM Drive edit
    Monitor 19 inch E197FP Analog Flat Panel edit
    Graphics Card Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950 edit
    Sound Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio edit

Thanks a lot everybody Big help getting all your opinions It'll probably take hubby a while to make up his mind lol these posts should help, tho. We had HP before and weren't happy and had been happy with Dell til this experience.

He's thinking of either the intel top processor and probably spending a little more(and I'd get that one ) or what Trust said sounds good and then I'd keep what I've got now and he'd get that one.

Trust - we read the same things lol My brother gives my husband that as a Christmas present each year and he's read that article. Never had known anybody that had them before tho so good to know you've been happy with em if he decides to go in that direction.

About the monitor - good news and bad news. Bad news was the guy said poor little thing was dead Good news is we just got back from MicroCenter (don't know if that's nationwide or local) Hubby said Consumer Reports ranked it high so maybe is national. They had a 19 monitor advertised for about $199 I think with a $50 rebate. Were sold out but got a 17 for $199 with a $50 rebate. He didn't wanna have to wait or pay s&h online so MicroCenter was just 15 minutes away. So........I can see, I can see I've been squinting trying to see things for the last 2 weeks and now everything's so nice and big and I can see. Dead monitor was 15 and one I've been squinting with is 12. Things look soooooo nice and pretty and big now

MC had a good sale on an HP the guy was showing us with that processor so considering that, too. If ya buy from them you can take it to them to be repaired at the store.

Have considered Apple in the past too. Not everything used to be compatible with them tho. Is that different now?

Thanks again everybody for your opinions. Really appreciate it

I have an emachine and am very happy with it. Had it about 2 years now, no problems, was very cheap when I bought it. I am planning to buy another one in the next few months, going to let my youngest child use this one. I do have a laptop and another computer in the house for backup though, so I don't have to worry about being down if one goes south.

One thing though, I really expect to buy a new computer every 2 or 3 years, which is unlike some people. So I don't worry too much about how long they last. I just want the newer faster, etc. every few years.

wow I didn't realize so many people loved DELL

People actually love substandard parts.

I would def go HP if you are going to get a pre built system.

Build it your self is better and cheaper too.

Quote Originally Posted by purplebear
    Have considered Apple in the past too. Not everything used to be compatible with them tho. Is that different now?
    Now you can run Windows on the new Macs since they've started installing Intel processors. Not that you really need it though. You can run Office for Mac and read just about any type of document Windows can read. OS X is hands down the best OS I've ever used.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

not the top of the line with the core duo, atlhlon x2 but for $400 + 19" LCD, can't beat that.
    Hey Eric if you happen to read this can you PM that coupon / link to me also please?

That is a nice offer - they must be getting rid of all the old stuff in a hurry.

The monitor looks like it's worth $175 alone. No tax - No Shipping - Wow...and I don't need top of the line.

I used to build my own and enjoyed doing it, but I have other priorities these days.

Quote Originally Posted by HardwareGeek
    wow I didn't realize so many people loved DELL

People actually love substandard parts.
    I do not think that that is true. I used to buy PC for my college when I was working as a graduate assistant. We bought like 160 units every year. Spec for spec, from MoBo all the way down to the video card, Dell's value undercut any brand. There isn't a lot of options when it comes to MoBo, processor and when you compare HP, Dell, etc..Dell stretches your $$ the furthest. At one year, we bought parts from Monarch PC, Tiger, newegg, we ended up having more problems with the parts than buying from Dell.

yes, these are entry level parts but if you are an average computer user, then it would be good enough. If you are a gamer and you are willing to drop $800 for a video card, or if you know what Timing 3-3-3-12 and Cas Latency 3 in a memory is, then Dell entry level PC are not for you.

As for Apple, now you can use it for Windows

Quote Originally Posted by mr_jones
    Hey Eric if you happen to read this can you PM that coupon / link to me also please?

That is a nice offer - they must be getting rid of all the old stuff in a hurry.

The monitor looks like it's worth $175 alone. No tax - No Shipping - Wow...and I don't need top of the line.

I used to build my own and enjoyed doing it, but I have other priorities these days.
    PM sent.
    Dell Small biz is on CJ - FYI

Another vote for Apple! I've never had trouble finding the software I need, the things are rock solid, and the price is comparable to a similarly equipped Dell (http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/02...son2/index.php). The sevice is impeccable and really, they just work. (plus the new ones can boot windows too!)

I'd recommend the MacBook if you don't need the crazy graphics card in the MacBook Pro. The mini and the imac are great too.
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

Quote Originally Posted by FairFieldGetaway-EricEwe
    I do not think that that is true. I used to buy PC for my college when I was working as a graduate assistant. We bought like 160 units every year. Spec for spec, from MoBo all the way down to the video card, Dell's value undercut any brand. There isn't a lot of options when it comes to MoBo, processor and when you compare HP, Dell, etc..Dell stretches your $$ the furthest. At one year, we bought parts from Monarch PC, Tiger, newegg, we ended up having more problems with the parts than buying from Dell.

yes, these are entry level parts but if you are an average computer user, then it would be good enough. If you are a gamer and you are willing to drop $800 for a video card, or if you know what Timing 3-3-3-12 and Cas Latency 3 in a memory is, then Dell entry level PC are not for you.

As for Apple, now you can use it for Windows
    Then you never opened up a dell to see what's inside.

Quote Originally Posted by HardwareGeek
    Then you never opened up a dell to see what's inside.
    I have open my dells, fixed/upgraded things, fixed people's PC (hardware/software)..

For the $399 with 19" LCD, I do not think I can complaint about it. For that price, you can even buy a GeForce 8800GTS and if you are looking for 8800, then we are comparing apples and s.

Categorizing Dell as a low end computer mfg is like saying that if Honda did a recall on their 2001 accords, all honda cars are junk.

For the same $$, you can get a dell with more performance over HP, etc

CPA Network Rep
    I use a Mac at home and it's so much better. I would seriously take a look into them as well

I use two Macs and two HP/Compaqs - a desktop and laptop of each. The desktops are both over three years old and havn't missed a beat. The laptops are each about 1 1/2 years old and are where I do 90% of my work - I carry both of then to our second nome at the beach just about every weekend.

I do most of my dev work on the Mac and most of my surfing and server maintenance on the PC. I've been using Macs for a loooonnng time - first one being a Mac Plus with two floppies and 1 meg of RAM. That's right - not even a hard drive. My first HD was an external 32 meg unit and cost over $300. My, how times have changed...

Our son had an HP laptop that survived two combat tours, one in Kosovo and one in Iraq. Some fine sand finally seized up the CD after the Iraq tour, but he had that replaced by a buddy for only a few bucks (and probabaly some beers).

Today I think it is hard to buy a really bad computer. They have become "nearly" a disposable tool. And being a tool for this business of ours, are also a healthy tax writeoff. With self employment pushing our tax brackets to about 41% here in Maryland, that means a $1000 computer effectively costs only $590.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

CPA Network Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by Beachy
    ... that means a $1000 computer effectively costs only $590.
    Not too shabby

Online Marketing Consultant
    I have had a toshiba laptop for three years and it is running like a champ, but time to get a enw one as well.

Talking
    I have a dell desk top with a penium 4 and 4 GB of ram.

It's running windows xp professional.

I got it in 2004.

It's fast as Hel* and I've never had any problems with it.

So - I supect that some of you complaining about a dell being no good are wrong.

The business I work for runs all dell computers to keep the machines and everything else - POS - running in the store and we have never had a computer problem with the dell computers there either.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast