Stereotypes
    I went to the supermarket earlier and while I was waiting my turn noticed three Eastern European guys in front of me, looked like they were construction workers on their way home - it brought a smile to notice that amongst other things, they had a bottle of vodka and a couple of packets of Chicken Kiev.

Then I looked at my own purchases that included an extra large box of tea, and the makings of a G&T - gin, tonic and lemons. Most stereotypes are at least partly based in fact - how are you typical of your origins?

ABW Ambassador
    I don't know if I'm a New England stereotype, or just a product of the 1950s. Every night my mother cooked a meal with meat/poultry/pork, potatoes, and two vegetables, and some sort of rolls or fancy bread (like corn bread) and milk to drink.

I still cook that way every day and my shopping cart reflects it. The biggest change - a few nights a week the menu includes salmon.

Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Lily
    I don't know if I'm a New England stereotype, or just a product of the 1950s. Every night my mother cooked a meal with meat/poultry/pork, potatoes, and two vegetables, and some sort of rolls or fancy bread (like corn bread) and milk to drink.
    I'm from the south and my parents are from the Appalachians and I've never considered corn bread to be fancy. We had it all the time and I considered it to be more of a poor man's staple. Interesting how your 'stereotype' makes you view things differently. I still refer to lunch as 'dinner'.
    John Walter
    Backcountry.com
    wwalter at backcountry.com
    P 801-746-7580
    [URL=http://www.Backcountry.com]www.Backcountry.com[/URL] | [URL=http://www.backcountryoutlet.com]www.backcountryoutlet.com[/URL] | [URL=http://www.tramdock.com]www.tramdock.com[/URL] | [URL=http://www.dogfunk.com]www.dogfunk.com[/URL] | [URL=http://www.steepandcheap.com]www.steepandcheap.com[/URL]
    We use the gear we sell.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ward
    ...they had a bottle of vodka and a couple of packets of Chicken Kiev.

Then I looked at my own purchases that included an extra large box of tea, and the makings of a G&T - gin, tonic and lemons...

Most stereotypes are at least partly based in fact...
    Very true.

- how are you typical of your origins?
    As much as those Eastern European construction workers that you've bumped into, Paul...

Geno

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    I'm all mixed up. My parents are from New York City but my Mom spent childhood summers in the deep south and we kids were raised in Connecticut where the culture is predominately Italian-American. Hispanics assume I'm Hispanic, everyone else assumes I'm Italian. I'm neither.

And I am not a girly-girl. I was a tomboy as a kid and as an adult I've had two careers...one messing with computers and the other messing with snakes. Apparently I'm STILL a tomboy.

At the supermarket I tend to buy very little prepared food. I prefer to cook from scratch. The junk food I do buy like chips, sodas and cookies are all-natural. If you had to guess my ethnicity based on my food purchases you'd probably peg me for an Italian-American hippie. My alcoholic beverage of choice is a lemon vodka martini. Hold the vermouth.

I don't know what's predictable or stereotypical about me. I'll have to ask hubby and get back to you guys.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    I come from five generations of rappers and hip hoppers, dating back to the early 1800's and it shows in my attire.

I wear real baggy shorts that go half way down my calfs and wear em low enough that my Spongebob boxer shorts are exposed at the top by say 5" or so. I wear a Mets hat or 6'ers hat over a head bandana and twist it slightly to the right and a boat anchor on a big gold chain around my neck.

Ive tried to break away from my rap hop heritage, but my G gene is just too strong!

Actually, I don't know of a stereo type that would fit for me. I'm from a hard working family whose father worked endless hours to provide a good life for us, and we ate so many different things that no one thing sticks out. I kinda like it like that - but I'm always intrigued by heritage.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

I did the shopping for the Thanksgiving feast today and while I was waiting in line I thought about all the different traditions going on all across the US next week - all in the name of the same Holiday. It's amazing to me how caught up in the habits of years gone by. We discover every year that no one in our group actually eats escalloped corn, but it's presented year after year as an absolute must-have staple - "just in case". Even after the long discussion yesterday, I still picked up the ingredients "just in case".

Tradition!

ABW Ambassador
    Well if just because I'm Spaniard you think I run in front of the bulls every year well... you'd be right

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread