2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Can't use GSI sporting good merchants with Multi-merchant displays
    GSI's Fogdog and Modell's etc etc cannot coexist with other merchants in a Multi-Merchant showcase. Setting the GC image size field to ZERO, which compensates by showing all merchants DEFAULT image sizes for crisp product photos. The GSI merchant photos are all too huge as they haven't figured out how to make uniform thumbnail images. Beyond Blossoms huge images, and a few others like Boaters World force lowering the total number of product columns.

Merchants with default pixel widths below 90 distort when trying to adjust the whole group to a size like 120 pixels. Cure is to never put GSI merchants into multi-merchantt product or search showcases. You'd think they buy Paint Shop Pro and convert all their huge images into a 120 pixel width inside of a few minutes. Hey all you GSI merchants I'll do this for ya and sharpen the results for 100.00 per merchant catalog on a group rate...
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Quote Originally Posted by ecomcity
    GSI's Fogdog and Modell's etc etc cannot coexist with other merchants in a Multi-Merchant showcase. Setting the GC image size field to ZERO, which compensates by showing all merchants DEFAULT image sizes for crisp product photos. The GSI merchant photos are all too huge as they haven't figured out how to make uniform thumbnail images. Beyond Blossoms huge images, and a few others like Boaters World force lowering the total number of product columns.

Merchants with default pixel widths below 90 distort when trying to adjust the whole group to a size like 120 pixels. Cure is to never put GSI merchants into multi-merchantt product or search showcases. You'd think they buy Paint Shop Pro and convert all their huge images into a 120 pixel width inside of a few minutes. Hey all you GSI merchants I'll do this for ya and sharpen the results for 100.00 per merchant catalog on a group rate...
    Relayed this problem to the Fogdog GSI affiliate manager. I'll wait and see if they respond to making sure they supply a max of 150 pixel width product photos. Even 200 pizel wide behemouths would allow for 3 column displays.

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Lightbulb
    I don't mind the large pix as I use GC with individual merchants. But I've set it up so smaller pictures will still look good, in the event of a change.

Setting 500 pixel wide images with lots of either horizontal and verticle lines in the images causes severe distortion when reduced to even 150 pixel width. I left up the Modells and a few FogDog and Boarter world GC showcases on strictly standalone basis. Test out the GSI merchants at GC with the image size setting at 0 (merchant default size setting) Place it on 4 or 3 columns of products and reach for your browser scroll bar.

No merchants should be allowed to have GC feed images above 200 pixels wide... ever. Thats also why no GSI merchants appear in the Product Showcase Creator PSC list. Funny they get all images down to 90x90 pixels for Froogle feeds and they're clean.

All images on Modell's site are 220 pixels wide

Yet the GSI folks all throw in some GC images at 500 pixel width....

Therefore even the GC examples have us selling these image of a product which get totally distorted when GC reduces them to to 60 or 90 pixels as evidenced from the Fogdog sample showcase.

http://www.goldencan.com/Merchants/D...ation_160.aspx

that's why I don't even try to reduce them. But I've left the setting at 0 in case they correct the size down to something more reasoinable.

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread