Question Does anybody have any words of wisdom?
    There are so many programs and sites offering affiliate links and so much is junk, how are we suppose to know what is good information and what is not.

Take the different afffiliate links, Commisiion Junction, Share-A-sale, LinkShare, Partner Gateway, I mean the list goes on and on.

I know, each one is different but is anybody making money or am I just fooling myself and wasting a lot of time trying to keep my pages current and interesting?

Let's not get started on the different companies that want to promote my sites, what's legit, and what's not, on some I get better action when I submit to the free sites and because of this I don't know if it's me or them doing their job. So far I've fired three and I'm on the brink of getting rid of another one.

HELP!

ABW Ambassador
    You submit what to free sites?

"There are so many programs and sites offering affiliate links and so much is junk, how are we suppose to know what is good information and what is not."

Trial and error. Reading and using the search function on programs you're curious about.

"Take the different afffiliate links, Commisiion Junction, Share-A-sale, LinkShare, Partner Gateway, I mean the list goes on and on."

That's good, some variety. CJ, Linkshare, Performics, Shareasale would be the top 4 affiliate networks. Then you have a flood of CPA networks. And a bunch of inhouse programs.

"I know, each one is different but is anybody making money or am I just fooling myself and wasting a lot of time trying to keep my pages current and interesting?"

Yes, people are making money. But as with any business there is a high failure rate. You can be successful, depends on lots of factors.

Well, you know what they say about opinions . . .

And I'm certainly no authority, just an old salesman.

But it seems to me that Content is King online. To attract attention a website needs to be saying something interesting, not just the same old thing that every other site is saying.

With attention comes traffic, visitors who can become interested in information related to your content - ads and offers from properly selected merchants.

Then, if the merchants can convert your visitors, success will follow.

In my opinion, good content well presented is the essential ingredient. It can be almost anything. A narrow well defined niche can be better than a broad subject area. Sharpen you focus, bring information that is fresh and well presented.

Of course, even good content needs promotion. But promotion alone without content is pointless.

Still, you know what they say about opinions . . .

ABW Ambassador
    "But it seems to me that Content is King online."

That's what Leader has been saying all these years

find a niche(s) and run with it

test, test, test

drop what doesn't work, keep what does

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Niche - content - trial and error - persistence - evaluation of a merchant site to get a feel for what you think may be their closing strengths etc, and then trial and error. It will take you a good year or so to cover the bases, find the formula that works best for you - and then keep building on it. If you are willing to invest the time, and you do the things you need to do, it will come.

Best Of Luck To You

Alan
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Yes there is money to be made, but as was mentioned above, there is a very higher failure rate. Depending on your knowledge and work ethic coming in, it can be a long time until you start making money, but if you do things right, plan for the long term and don't give up while you are learning, you can get there.

I had no clue about just about everything when I started, so it took me 6 months of wasted effort to start making a little money, and 18 months to reach the goal I set when I started for monthly income, but when I reached it, I was not content with it at all. Now my goals are much higher, and I still learn things all the time.

Keep learning and don't give up! Good luck.

ABW Ambassador
    Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1

That's worth repeating! Best post I've read in ages. ;-)

Tenacity is one of the keys. Trial and error, ALWAYS have something new you're starting. The most successful people have the most failures as they try the most new things (success rate increases with experience though!)

Learn from the numerous mistakes you will make, as long as you don't just keep repeating the same mistakes, each one will teach you something to help you climb the hill.

Always take others advice and experiences with a pinch of salt - it works for them, but that doesn't necessarily mean it'll work for you. I've failed miserably in niches and with merchants where plenty of others succeed and vice-versa. Don't be afraid to come back to a merchant or niche later on and try again in a different way maybe you just weren't ready the first time.

Above all you need to be a "Red Queen" (no it's not a trans-gender thing) - Running on the spot to stand still.

And confidence. We are in the right market for future and present growth.

Just keep learning and keep putting yourself in the position to have success.

Web knowledge is good knowledge. This is a good place for accomplishing goals.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1

Oh it certainly has not been!
    Don't mislead the newbs

For those who don't know what I've REALLY been saying all these years:

What I've been saying is precisely the opposite, in fact I'd love to flog everyone who utters that phrase "content is king" in reference to sites trying to make sales, because they're talking about nonsales content (with very few, if any, exceptions).

(Nonsales) Content is King--of the Dot Bombs...those who know how to get tons of eyeballs but not how to properly monetize them. Sure there's a few exceptions, for the moment, but (for those that don't know):

MY real position is that SALES sites--including sales spin/pitches--are what are good for selling stuff, and not any attempts to be a library/theatre/university or the like! People buy at stores, not entertainment venues. (That excludes souvenir crap like baseball caps sold at a ball game.) Has anyone ever gone into a library and thought, "wow, I've just gotta have a new camera!!"? No! Has anyone run out of a play or movie going, "I've just gotta go shopping RIGHT NOW and get [something seen in the movie]?" No! They're thinking about the entertainment they just saw, and shopping is the furthest thing from their minds! Even the "movie merchandise" like action figures isn't purchased while the person is still in entertainment mode.

When people want to shop, they go to a store. And in a store, the King is Revenue, and the Queen is the Products. Any content is relegated to "footman" status, far from kingship--it directly supports the objective of buying the products, usually by telling about the products (and for an aff, the merchant selling those products). There's no BS "maybe they'll get interested if we show entertainment and happen to have some products hanging around" nonsense at long-term successful retailers.

"RL" salespeople (who are similar to affiliates in that they're selling stuff without owning the store) don't use nonsales content either--they'll be glad to talk all about the products and why you should buy them, but the successful ones will dump you like a bad penny if you try to get them to spend more than a couple of minutes talking about something else. "Come get me when you're ready to buy" (or words to that effect) would be something you'd hear very soon for most offline products. Even real estate people do it. Their willingness to talk about local restaurants etc. is just a way to sell the area and make you want to live there more.

So in short, while a link farm is way too sparse, content will spoil the broth really quick if it's not sales content. That is, assuming you're wanting to make your money by selling stuff, rather than ads!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

I totally agree. Quality ORIGINAL content is King. Well, maybe not quality (subject to opinion), but original content is King.

Originally Posted by TrustNo1

Proposed for "Best Quote of the Year Award" !!

heisje

Internet Cowboy
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ward
    ...ALWAYS have something new you're starting..
    That is great advice in six words or less. Don't be happy with one thing that works. Experiment, test new sites, products and merchants. Take something you know about, write a few pages about it and make a price comparison of the item from different merchants. Try a coupon site. Try a mall site. Web space is cheap and the money is there.

No one person can guide you. Find something to run with on your own, then come in here and ask more specific advice about that product or merchant or business plan. You will be amazed at the amount of information that is on this board.

Good luck and welcome

ABW Ambassador
    on some I get better action when I submit to the free sites and because of this I don't know if it's me or them doing their job
    Submit what to free sites? And what are free sites?

The content is king advice may be hackneyed, but is spot on. The only thing is that creative high quality, fresh content over the long term is extremely time consuming and hard work, so try to set up websites on subjects you are enthusiastic about.

Most content-based websites or blogs fall flat after a few months or years because the owner(s) can't be bothered updating them.

Make money?? yes.. you can, in my case, despite myself. I often wonder what I could really earn if I knew what I was doing. My advise - don't waste time trying to teach yourself everything. Attend seminars if possible. Take computer courses if you need to. It has taken me ages to make money and had I gone ahead and invested in learning instead of investing in mistakes...I'd be in much better shape. Now I'm so set in my "mistakes" I have a tough time learning new ways. Good luck It's a fun way to make a living.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread