Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    T'is the season to be ripped off...
    Here is a sad reality of our current industry .... with all the good, all the successes, all the revenue affiliates generate .... what if, what if the scum and theft would could be cut down and legislation could take a stronger stand ... ahh, what an even more amazing industry we would have !

"One in 10 holiday shoppers can expect some form of spyware, adware, or other internet attack as they conduct transactions on the web"

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/11...safe_shopping/
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services, Since 2001
    www.andyrodriguez.com | E: abw@andyrodriguez.com | P: (888) 931-ANDY (2639) | Skype: affiliatedoctor | AIM & MSN: AffiliateDoctor | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | Follow me on Twitter | Join Our Affiliate Programs

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Just a reminder...DO NOT USE YOUR BANK CARD TO MAKE ONLINE PURCHASES!!!

Use a credit card, not a debit card, to make any purchases online as well as gasoline purchases and purchases made over the phone.

IF IN DOUBT DO NOT USE YOUR BANK CARD!!!

Rhea, sorry for being ignorant here, but why are debit cards more succeptable to fraud than credit cards?

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Amen Andy - how nice would that be!!! Maybe someday my friend.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Quote Originally Posted by WRYoung
    Rhea, sorry for being ignorant here, but why are debit cards more succeptable to fraud than credit cards?
    It's not that they're more susceptible, it's that they're more vulnerable. If someone makes a fraudulent purchase on your credit card it's likely that the credit card company will not pursue you to make good on the payment. If your bank card is hit the perpetrator might clean out every dime in your account before the bank or you becomes aware there's a problem.

Money spent on a credit card is money that you don't own, it's the credit card company's money. Money spent on a bank card is money you DO own. HTH.

ABW Ambassador
    >>"One in 10 holiday shoppers can expect some form of spyware, adware, or other internet attack as they conduct transactions on the web"<<

I've had 3 attempts on a brand new computer in the first 3 weeks of owning it. One was in less than a week - Downloader, the other was this week - just by clicking on a URL at a search engine. The page redirected and when exiting WinFixer was downloaded - no notice, Norton caught it on the computer.

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhea
    Money spent on a credit card is money that you don't own, it's the credit card company's money. Money spent on a bank card is money you DO own. HTH.
    It's an extra step but well worth it. A few years ago, i opened a separate bank account with a separate debit card in my commercial account. I use that debit card for all online purchases and only keep enough cash in there to cover whatever i am buying online. With online banking, you can transfer funds in and out of accounts with a click of a mouse. I never keep more than $500 in there at any time...
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services, Since 2001
    www.andyrodriguez.com | E: abw@andyrodriguez.com | P: (888) 931-ANDY (2639) | Skype: affiliatedoctor | AIM & MSN: AffiliateDoctor | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | Follow me on Twitter | Join Our Affiliate Programs

I'm not the most money savvy person in the world, but it amazes me how many people have never realized that using their bank credit card online is a disaster waiting to happen.

If you did run into some baddies having your account wiped out is only a minor problem, considering that you could have your identity stolen.

Andy, I prefer the credit card to a bank card. I had a credit card stolen once and it was used to make fraudulent purchases. The credit card company did not charge my account for the fraudulent purchases. They won my eternal loyalty.

Timely article. Be careful out there!!!

That makes perfect sense. Thanks for educating me

(Off to apply for a credit card, as I canceled all mine a couple years ago)

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    I agree with Rhea. Although some debit cards / banks will credit you the amount back, but that can take weeks or months.

Better safe than sorry.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    I never use a debit card - the FTC says (and explains) why it's much better to use credit cards:
    http://www.ashp.org/news/ShowArticle.cfm?id=3270 (see "Credit, not debit")

Credit cards have legislated $50 limit for 60 days, debit cards can be higher (read that... when things go wrong, it will be higher). Debit cards are $50 limited for 2 days, then $500 limited for 2-60 days.

If you use that debit account for anything else, like your bills, an unauthorized deduction could make you bounce checks and payments to your legit billers and create a mess of your credit standing.

And with credit cards, apart from fraud, you have the right "to withhold payment for disputed charges, including goods that were not received from an online merchant. No such protection exists when a debit card is used".

Now, this doesn't apply so much to online transactions (unfortunately!) but when you're at the store you use your debit card, but *process* it as a credit. That is, don't enter your PIN, but just hit cancel when that prompt comes up or simply select 'Credit' if shown. You'll then actually provide your signature, although using your debit card. It's interesting to note that the merchant will actually want you to enter your PIN, as their processing fees are lower. So, good for consumer = bad for merchant, vice versa.

In this scenario, your transaction is processed through the Visa or Mastercard network and you are afforded all of the same protections ($50 liability, etc.) as if it were an actual credit card.

A quick Google search found this CNN article regarding the issue..

about 4 years ago i had my "bank card" number stolen after using it for web hosting. I had never used it online prior to that - The bank credited me with my money back immediately when it became obvious that my card had been stolen. Obviously experiences will vary depending on the bank as I'm sure they don't all have the same policies for this.
    Heidi
    "Happy are those who dream dreams and are willing to pay the price to make them come true"

15 years and counting
    Heidi - i had my "bank card" number stolen after using it for web hosting. I had never used it online prior to that
    Same experience, fortunately, I've several bank accounts and it was not a major problem for me but still a bad experience. By the way, my host was earthlink or one of their numerous spin off. My former host was MindSpring, outstanding people, earthlink crashed everything, year after year. They were even bad enough to steal a few of my domain names. My bank never said who it was but I used it only with them.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Rhea - thanks for bringing this one up again. I remember a post from several months ago cautioning on the use of debit cards, but since then many newbs have joined us and many of us who have been here for a while may have forgotten about the important security concerns surrounding use of debit cards.

I NEVER use a debit card for purchases online OR offline. The best way to eliminate a problem is to eliminate the source, so keep those debit cards for your ATM and use your credit cards for everything else.

Alan
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    Rhea / others,

Thank you so much for the info on bank cards. I never thought twice.

I am SOOOO lucky not to have anything bad happen to me yet as I use it all the time.
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

I had my wallet stolen about 6 or 7 years ago. My credit and debit cards were all used at gas stations and clothing stores. I called each number for lost/stolen cards, signed the statements and everything was reversed on my accounts, even my bank account (National City). I was supposed to be responsible for the first $50 charged on my accounts, but they didn't even make me pay that. I guess I was lucky. I wrote "see ID" on my new cards signature boxes, but some places wouldn't accept that and made me sign the card to use it. I now have an online virtual prepaid visa (epassporte.com) and a prepaid visa (netspend.com).

Your credit card comes with a free consumer protection firewall. I would never use a debit card for any purpose.

And, as a merchant, we have more problems with customer debit cards than with credit cards. Because they tap right into the customer's bank account, there is a higher sensitivity to processing issues - such as when the customer's bank approves an online charge (and puts a hold on corresponding funds) but AuthorizeNet declines because of our higher security requirements. Sometimes debit card customers hitting a security decline at check-out will retry the same input several times, resulting in several bank holds which can tie up their entire bank account.

Of course, when this happens, its my fault

We fix the customer issue, dispense a little free consumer awareness info, and move on. But the debit card didn't help . . .

Credit cards protect consumers from all sorts of bad stuff.

-- Noah
    Stuffed Ark.com

Rhea debit cards have the same protection as credit cards. Unless your bank is a cheap bank.

Quote Originally Posted by HardwareGeek
    Rhea debit cards have the same protection as credit cards. Unless your bank is a cheap bank.
    That's what I thought. A guy I know of had transactions of 40,000 "taken" from his bank account (except he only had a fraction of that amount in there).

He wasn't liable for any of it, but had a pretty stressful period sorting it out. Account frozen and the constantly nagging doubt at the back of your mind that says "you'll have to pay this".

The main reason for having a credit card for online payments is to limit the amount and also to seperate it from any other accounts should something go wrong.

By the way, the guy I know gave his details over the phone for a transaction - I always thought that has to be THE least secure method ever.

CPA Network Rep
    All great stories and tips! While one may get the money back, the above info may save someone this horrible ordeal. Better safe than sorry!!

I have debit cards with both Chase and Citibank and they offer better protection than my Credit card with Orchard Bank and my Credit card with Wachovia.

It all depends on your bank.

ABW Ambassador
    "One in 10 holiday shoppers can expect some form of spyware, adware, or other internet attack as they conduct transactions on the web, according to net security firm PC Tools."

We've always had these discussions in the past how much these kind of things affect our business, not sure how accurate it is but it's lower than I thought it would be since the stats always say the majority of computers out there have some sort of adware/spyware/nonsense on them. Don't know how to take that.

But on a positive note, people who have had good experiences in the past with shopping online will continue to shop online. And over time things will get better.

FWIW - check with your bank - some banks offer plenty of protection on debit cards.

I got whacked for 11k on a debit card a couple of years ago and the bank had the mess mopped up in two days flat.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Outsourced Program Manager Nick Prussakov's Avatar
    A fraudster outwitted sophisticated banking security systems by using an ordinary MP3 music player to bug cash machines and steal customers' credit card secrets.
    Source. Ingenious bastard.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast