ABW Ambassador
    GoDaddy / DomainsByProxy issue
    I received an email last week from GoDaddy.com and DomainsByProxy.com - Apparently they charged me $20 automatically for an inquiry made on one of my domains w/ private whois info. It's regarding an alleged legal issue. I contacted the party who made the inquiry & have not heard back. I also contacted DomainsByProxy.com and have not heard back from them either.

The issue is this - First of all, I didn't know they'd charge $20 for an inquiry! What's stopping people from making inquiries to cost their competition money? Secondly, they charged a credit card that doesn't belong to me - my name is on it, but it's not mine - w/out my authorization. That credit card is not associated with nor was ever used for the domain in question. Third, the party who made the inquiry could have contacted me via my web site in any number of ways.

Their inquiry was baseless. Neither the inquiring party, nor DomainsByProxy.com has responded to my emails. How can GoDaddy.com & DomainsByProxy.com justify charging $20 on top of the yearly fee to simply send an email??

This service is a joke & I won't be using it again. I have a P.O. Box to protect my privacy, somewhat. But wanted that added security for a few of my domains. Because of this, I'm considering letting all of them go as it's not worth the potential charges and headaches.

Anyone else run into this BS? How did you handle it? How was it resolved? Or was it?
    Hi, I'm a signature.

Outsourced Program Manager Nick Prussakov's Avatar
    Celicaphile, maybe the card charged belonged to the person who made the enquiry? But then I can't understand why your name is on it. Didn't have that sort of experience. Can only suggest to call GoDaddy, as it is highly unlikely that they'll ever email you back.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    when you signed up back when, it may have been the credit card you used to use. dbp is a separate party and they do give you a login and keep a credit card on file and all that. if you read the fine print on your dbp agreement, you're just out that money - it's in their terms - check it out.

ABW Ambassador
    The reason my name is on the card is because it belongs to my parents... They did not make the inquiry... I did a couple of sites for my step dad way back when & he paid for it... That card wasn't the first, nor the last card I've used on GoDaddy. I'm not sure why they chose that particular one out of all the options available. For the most part I use PayPal, but will use a credit card if I don't have funds in my PayPal accout at that moment.

I guess I didn't mention that I did initially email GoDaddy.com because they're the ones who had the card on file & emailed me about the charge - they told me to email DomainsByProxy.com. I'm assuming it's the same company, split up for just this purpose... (whois shows slightly different addresses)

I emailed DomainsByProxy back this morning, restating the issue, and also asked for a copy of the complainant's email. Since the complainant isn't responding, I want to know if they state what prompted their inquiry. Their automated response states that they will respond within 72 hours. If I don't hear back from them in that time, I'll get on the phone & see where that gets me (besides even more frustrated)...
    Hi, I'm a signature.

ABW Ambassador
    Update:

I just went back and looked up the "Domain Name Proxy Agreement" as if I were adding it to a domain name - Nowhere, that I can see, does it specify $20 or Twenty Dollars (ctrl+f for "20" and "twenty"). So, technically, I didn't agree to that.

Somebody on another forum quoted the following from their FAQ:
    What are Domains By Proxy's shipping and handling fees?
    When Domains By Proxy receives certified or traceable courier mail or legal notices addressed to your domain that requires forwarding, we post an e-mail message to your Domains By Proxy account under the "My Messages" page. The message identifies the sender of the correspondence, the date we received it and a brief description of its contents. You have 72 hours to decide whether you wish to reject the correspondence or have it forwarded via overnight courier or facsimile (or both).

- If you choose to have the correspondence faxed, the charge is $1.50 per page plus a handling fee of $20.00.

- If you choose to have the correspondence sent via overnight courier, the charge is the courier's cost (typically Federal Express standard overnight) plus a handling fee of $20.00.
    I logged into my account on DomainsByProxy & there was nothing under "My Messages" & I never asked for anything via overnight courier. I haven't received anything via Fed Ex, or any other courier, from DomainsByProxy, so why was I charged that much anyway? Your quotes don't mention email correspondence.

Regardless, the bigger issues still stand - How do they prevent abuse via baseless inquiries such as the one in my case? Why did they use a credit card that was not associated w/ that domain name & that they were not authorized to use? Why aren't they replying to emails?

They give themselves 72hrs to reply - I never got a reply to my first, after waiting 72hrs, I'm still waiting on the second and when that 72hrs are up, I'm getting on the phone.
    Hi, I'm a signature.

Celicaphile,just a though.....
    Could you call a creditcard company and say it was fraudulent charge ?
    CreditCard companies are on the consumer side. You might just get domainsbyproxy give you a call.

good luck

If you have a PO Box anyway, why not just list that instead of doing it private through domainsbyproxy?
    But call godaddy and ask them, maybe the agreement when you signed up said it differently?

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread