Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    The pride of a community
    Several weeks ago I posted a thread about the tragic murder of Emily Keyes, our 16 year old waitress at the Cutthroat cafe in Bailey Colorado, a quaint mountain town about 10 miles west of my home. Emily was one of six girls who was held hosage by a wandering predator. During their hostage experience, the girls were sexually molested and as the police rushed the building, and Emily tried to escape, her captor fatally wounded her with a gunshot to the head. He then took his own life.

The reaction by this mountain community and the response of area residents was immediate. There is always something special about small rural communities - neighbors caring about each other, people helping people. Certainly this tragic event brought out that spirit in our area.

Local businesses banded together to raise funds and a local radio station sponsored a biker ride from Columbine High School to Platte Canyon High School. Virtually every "walk-in" business had donation jars at the registers, and to my delight, those jars were filled regularly at the busy locations. All tolled, the donations and fundraising events in our little rural communities raised over $300,000.00, some of which will be used to fund a college education for Emily's twin brother, and much of which the Keyes family has donated to area counseling services that are working hard to help the community heal.

This post marks my 1,000th in this little ABW community of ours, and I could not think of a topic that is more meaningful to me than the expression of the pride and appreciation I have for my "Offline" neighbors here in Pine, and next door in Bailey. Though money can not bring back this special young girl, or replace her absence from her family, the heart of this community is something that I will never forget and the kindness and support that everyone has shown is something I will always remember.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    hats off to your for your 1000 post.
    <i am behind you too>

look fwd to your next 1000

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    We followed the reports on the hostage situation closely as my family just moved from Colorado this summer. There is no rhyme or reason on why someone goes that far off the deep end. Glad to hear that the community came together.

Congrats on the 1000th post and here's to then next 1000.

ABW Ambassador
    Congrats on the 1K Alan! I always like to read your posts, you're a ray of sunshine.

Thank you Web, speaking of rays of sunshine, Ellen and I hit the beach over by Boca Grande yesterday as we are leaving to go back to Colorado Saturday and wanted to get a little color on this white exterior. Of course, I wanted the deep bronze look in one day!! (typical guy I guess).

Now, this morning I kinda think I may have gotten a few too many rays of sunshine - but oh well, the upside of that is that I will emerge with a base to work from when we return in January, and in the meantime we still have minutes to use at the sun tan bed place near home!! woo hoo, look out George Hamilton, there's a new Tan in town!!
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Hi Alan
    My deepest sympathies to her family. You know, 4 years ago i moved away from the city to a bushveld community and you know ive never felt so strange in my entire life. The city tends to allienate people from people. I only realised it when about 1 month ago my neighbours son - only 11 years old died in a car accident. 2000 people from the community came to pay their respects at the funeral alone. Here people stand by eachother im not saying that its always rosey but when the crunch comes to crunch people in the smaller communities stand together. I have people droping by at least 2 or 3 times a day to say hello, and my closet neighbour is about 2 miles away from me.

united we shall stand
    Andrew

Your post is very kind and compassionate Andrew. People helping each other is a wonderful thing to see - and neighbors visiting (even two miles away or more) is always a thought to be appreciated. I'm sorry to hear about your neighbors son as well. I hope the parents and family are healing on a positive course.

Be Well - Alan

Hi Alan
    Toady i had my neighbour visit me, the one who lost his son. They are extremely simple people ( afrikaans speaking), they wouldnt know what the internet was if i hadnt told them what it is i do and hope to achieve. I showed them the posting you sent showing your concern for them. The father droped to his knees in utter shock, he couldnt believe that someone from a place he didnt know even existed sent their concerns.

He asked me to write you and say: "Ek is so daankbaar dat ek kan skaars myself inhou, my trane van vreuged en hartseer - my hulle voeg dit grass op my seuns se graf"

Translation: I am so greatful that i am unable to control myself, my tears of joy and heartache - may they feed the grass upon my sons' grave.

I thought i would let you know your thread has done its job

Regards, Andrew

I can't find the words to do justice to how much this "simple" neighbor of yours has touched my heart Andrew. I am truly humbled. Please let him know that a person from the other side of the planet sends his warmest wishes, best hopes, and appreciation for his kind words.

He too has touched my heart and reminded me how special a father and son can be.

Alan

Hi Alan
    Ill pass on the message, im seeing him today. He needs some help with his tractor. Ill be putting on my grease monkey suit (mechanic's overall) for the day to lend a hand.

Catch you later
    Andrew

Thumbs up
    Recently saw a story on denver TV news about emily keyes.
    She was a designated 'organ donor' ...and due to that is helping others throughout the country with their lives.

Thumbs up
    cool, i think everyone should consider organ donations, what the heck are you going to do with those goodies after youre dead anyway.

it may help some needy person.

Andrew

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread