Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Online Marketing Consultant
    Coffee or Memory
    what do you all prefer for gifts in general besides cash for being performers in an affiliate program?

1. Memory Sticks
    2. Coffee related things (usb plugin coffe warmer plates, etc...)
    3. Nice Pens with a laser pointer or memory stick
    4. ????????

Internet Cowboy
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquidate
    what do you all prefer for gifts in general besides cash for being performers in an affiliate program?

1. Memory Sticks
    2. Coffee related things (usb plugin coffe warmer plates, etc...)
    3. Nice Pens with a laser pointer or memory stick
    4. ????????
    A nice pen with a laser pointer would be a good gift.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    The best affiliate gift I ever got was from ShareASale. It's a fleece blanket and the bottom edge is folded over a couple of feet to make a pouch. That way you can cover yourself up with it and stick your feet in the pouch to keep warm.

I use it a lot in the winter and I used it on the train travelling to and from Kansas City this year. It made sleeping on a train almost bearable.

Gift certificates are always nice. Once the holidays end we all need some pampering bad. Dinner out, roses, day spa, two pound ballotins of chocolate...it's all good.

Just got a 4 port usb hub from one of my affiliate merchants - pretty cool as I needed one the next day
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Cash.

I have USB drives and memory sticks. I have a Google fridge that sits in my basement unused. Some merchant just sent me a worthless book. It is now in my recycling.

Cash.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    what do you all prefer for gifts in general besides cash
    Checks, which can be cashed!

Really, all that other stuff you mentioned has about as much use to me as a hole in the head (the pen is the worst--there's nothing I could do with that!).
    I suppose I could ebay a memory stick, but Revenue is King.

I'd rather have the wholesale cost of that stuff--in cash--than the stuff itself.

Always cash. I can buy whatever I want with it

Though I did get a neat little Mouse for my laptop one time from an aff program that I used forever (until the kids destroyed it at least)

Slightly off topic but, I used to manage a hardware store and the owner always gave out turkeys or hams for Christmas and one year i finally told him I wanted the cash instead, even if it was only 10 bucks. So everyone got a ham but me. Don't remember what i did with the cash, but at least he gave me what i wanted.

Ditto on the cash. That promotional stuff is overpriced to purchase and seems rather thoughtless. A personalized note and cash (even $10) means much more to most (or all) people.

I'll win my first substantial promotional item this month (a 2GB iPod Nano), which is a bit ironic b/c I had already purchased one, thinking that I wouldn't win it. It'll make a good Christmas gift for my sister though!

edit: oops - forgot to answer your question! I'd prefer the memory stick. It's something of use to me. I've got plenty of pens..

I would also add that for me personally, it just seems like such a waste, of resources both financial and environmental. I felt terrible and guilty throwing that book out, but what am I going to do with it?

Google sent me two usb drives and the travel mouse thing for Christmas last year. And, it also sits in my closet, mainly because the stuff is crap. Another merchant just sent me another USB drive, also crap. Sitting unused. So, I would add that if you do get something for your affiliates, make sure it is really high quality brand name stuff that *works*. It reflects poorly on merchants (and businesses in general) to send branded crap that breaks as soon as you use it.

Question
    Ok, I think us AMs are starting to get the point - SEND CASH.
    ..but I have to ask...
    What about something FOOD related? As an affiliate, I always enjoyed getting a chocolate bar with the company's logo, a bottle of two of wine, or popcorn/nuts/cookies mix. I always enjoyed the first couple of weeks of December!!

What about those?

~Bob

What about something FOOD related? As an affiliate, I always enjoyed getting a chocolate bar with the company's logo, a bottle of two of wine, or /nuts/cookies mix. I always enjoyed the first couple of weeks of December!!

What about those?
    chocolate : chocolate is too good for us, first, it can make us fat, can make us to sensual about something, and it only last a few minutes before it melts.

bottle of two of wine : wine would be good, but after a bottle of two of wine, we might get too drunk to work on our sites, and we may get in trouble around here, if we start posting after we consume those two bottle of wine.

: is a good time killer, but we need to use both hands to eat , so we won't be able to work on our sites while we eat the .

nuts : nuts?, that can be taken as an offence, just because some of us are a little bit nuts already, there is no need to remind us of that. (but I guess some salty roasted peanuts would be ok.)

cookies : cookies?, the only cookies we like are the ones with our AFID on it, but as long as they don't crumble on the way to the exit.

----------

So I think money is best!

At least you won't have to worry about the S/H, tax, and batteries not included dilemma.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Food bad. Really.*

Some people are dieting
    Some have food allergies
    Some are picky eaters
    Some are vegans
    Some prefer to buy their own food
    Some get so much of the stuff it's ridiculous

Food related products are a different story. (But please don't put YOUR name on the item.)

Ice buckets
    Shot glasses
    Cork removers
    Chocolate fountain
    Fondue set
    Fancy cocktail napkins
    Hip flask
    Martini tote (ooh now I'm getting greedy!)

* Of course a case of Rienzi picante canned cherry tomatoes is always a thoughtful gift!

* Cash - We can all use cash
    * Amazon.com gift certificate - They sell almost anything, so it's almost as good as cash.
    * Credit or gift certificate for the merchant's store - Many (most?) of us only promote stores we would actually buy from, so surely we could find something there.

Just about anything else will not be useful or appreciated by a large number of affiliates. I can't count how many t-shirts, coffee mugs, pens, umbrellas, portfolios, bags, memory sticks, and other things I have received. I don't need or want more.

I got a book (FedEx'd, even!) from a merchant, too. It's not from an author I normally read, so it's useless to me. If it had been from an author I normally read, I probably already would have had the book.

I got a really cool USB travel kit from Google. The only piece I've used is the memory stick. I just haven't needed any of the rest. I quit using the memory stick after I got a bigger one from a merchant.

I got some coffee from a merchant. I don't drink coffee, so I gave it away.

Years ago, I got a really nice, large golf umbrella from LinkShare. I used that quite a bit until my son broke it. I've received probably half a dozen cheaper umbrellas from others, but I don't use any of them.

I got the fleece blanket from SAS, and that was an okay gift.

I've received several toys, which my kids loved, but not everyone has kids and most toys are junk. I can't think of any toys I've received that still work (except plush toys).

I love to receive food, but not everyone does. It's often very, very overpriced and I'd rather just get the cash most of the time. It is nice around the holidays, though.

If you're going to send something other than cash, make sure it's good quality. Expensive junk isn't appreciated. Also, something individually chosen is much better. If a merchant takes the time to get to know me and sends something that they specifically know I will like, that means a lot.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Mr. Sal... BRAVO!

Quote Originally Posted by Rhea
    * Of course a case of Rienzi picante canned cherry tomatoes is always a thoughtful gift!
    Rhea -> <-Bob

Online Marketing Consultant
    Beutifull Mr. Sal

This will help alot with the choice, then again now I am even more confused hehehe. Maybe branded gift cards? Like Visa or Am Ex. I'll figure it out, thanks everyone.

A branded visa/amex gift card is perfect

"branded visa/amex gift card"
    Ooooooo.... Perfect!

I think we have a WINNER!

What about offering your affiliates a choice of many different type items, so everyone can choose one that they want. You could award certain amounts of "special dollars" that can be used for whatever in the company store.

I like getting merchant credit and it allows a merchant to offer more than if it were cash. $100 cash costs $100, but for the same merchant cost, they could offer say a $150 gift certificate.

My favorite gifts were from Ugg Australia - choose a pair of men's/women's boots / slippers. I had final choice from what they offered of style, size, colour within their range choice.

I usually feature merchants whose inventory I like.

Some things are completely a waste for me. For one I am one affiliate that hates contest and I would normally not work with a merchant that has them. That is just me.

I just opened an email where they are giving away a boflex home gym and another that is giving away a ski weekend. I would never use a boflex as I cant take it to the bar with me and I cant stand cold weather so a ski weekend sounds like a trip to hell for me.
    Cash is always king
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Be careful with the prepaid credit cards. I know that in the past when being used at a restaurant the card wouldn't work to it's "limit" because it left 20% for a tip. For example, if it was a $25 card, it wouldn't approve more than $20, leaving the recipient very confused. Nevertheless, such a card is as good as cash in almost every other way.

I'd repeat that a personalized note (people can smell a canned message from a mile away) goes a long way as well.

Considering that I had to google "memory stick" to find out what the heck that is and since it presumes owning other equipment, I wouldn't go with that. I would be mad and throw the thing out.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Considering that I had to google "memory stick" to find out what the heck that is and since it presumes owning other equipment, I wouldn't go with that. I would be mad and throw the thing out.
    "Memory stick" is sometimes used as synecdoche for "USB Drive". Like, when someone says "Kleenex" or "Q-Tip" when they really mean "paper tissue" or "cotton swab". It is confusing to me, because while a Kleenex is a type of paper tissue, a memory stick, strictly speaking, is not a type of USB drive.

Technically, Memory Sticks are a proprietary Sony technology for portably storing information and are quite distinct from USB Drives (which also portably store information). Though, both can be used to transfer information from one computer to another and can have roughly the same storage capacities.

Huh? What's a USB drive and why would I want one? How would I even know if I can transfer something off my computer with it? Is it like an external hard drive?
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast