Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    Health Insurance for Affiliates?
    I just had an idea that I wanted to run by the folks here at ABW...

Since affiliates are business partners and do W-9s and all that, what would prevent a merchant from providing health insurance coverage either for FREE or for a discounted price to affiliates?

If we pooled affiliates and had 30 or 40 sign up (or more) for the service, we could get them a great deal.

Just curious what all of you think?
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

If it beats the $300+ quote I get from BCBS, I might be interested. If given the option, I would like the FREE coverage , even if it is basic coverage. That's better than nothing.

Yup, Sure ... now let me check ... Cagles Mill's Avatar
    According to news articles I have seen, eBay has been offering health insurance to its biggest sellers for at least a couple of years.
    Rick M.
    I would rather have a bottle in front of me, than have a frontal lobotomy!
    Does your bubblegum lose its flavor on the bedpost overnight?

I would love to see something like that. I think insurance companies don't consider an organization like that to be a "group", though.

If you pursue this, I'm interested.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Internet Cowboy
    I've been through this. Michael is right, the insurance companies pretty much insist on those covered being full-time, in-house employees. If you are able to get around this I am all over it. Health insurance is a real issue.

ABW Ambassador
    Matt, that's why I think an "Affiliate Marketers Guild" would be a good idea, to qualify for group benefits and possibly to get special discount offers for members because of the aggregate buying power - if there were enough of a membership.

Just got off the phone with one of my business partners who has 20 years in the business. He says that a ''group'' is pretty much defined as whoever the purchaser (read: merchant) says it is.

We both agreed it would a minimum of 40 people to sign-up to be worth the hassle and cost.

We are going to look into it more but he estimates that the average healthy affiliate could save $150 a year...not as much as I hoped, but still not bad.
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Actually, group coverage does not require that the covered members be employees necessarily. An example of this, I believe that AARP offers a health care plan to members. Also I am a private pilot, and AOPA, an organization comprised of member pilots extends a group plan for AOPA members.

You've bitten off a big piece of cake on this one Matt - so it will be interesting to see what if anything you come up with on this. If an association (guild etc) is required, it would not take much to put that one together - but finding the insurer and negotiation of rates etc will be a major time eater. I applaud your idea and hope you come up with something that can benefit our industry.

Alan
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

A "guild" or "trade association" would be a great idea to pool insurance and what not. I also have experience and connections in the lobbying business. I get the feeling that such a lobby would not be a bad idea. Think about the "sob stories" on TV with stay-at-home moms just trying to make a living being harmed by some new legislation.

I know this would be a huge undertaking and may not fly at all, but it's a thought.

As for health insurance for our affiliates...we are doing a survey in early December as it is. We adding a question to determine interest in something like this to the survey.

Any more thoughts on this idea?
    Matt McWilliams

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MattMcWilliams
    We adding a question
    I think you meant to say "we BE adding a question" or "we be questioning" or some other rappy derivative eh?
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

You WOULD catch any typo I make Alan

So are you volunteering to proofread all of my posts from now on?
    Matt McWilliams

Is there any update on this?

An HSA option would also be nice.

I hope to change insurance companies sometime in the next few months.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Outsourced Program Manager Affiliate Eagle's Avatar
    Matt,

We are interested as well. Let us know.

Thanks for considering us.
    Emilio Yepez
    Affiliate Program Manager
    www.lighthouseinternetmedia.com
    PH: 305 389 8955
    AIM: affiliateagle
    Email: emilio@lighthouseinternetmedia.com
    Follow Me On My Twitter

Programs Managed - Join Now! | Navarro.com|| OneWayFurniture | OnlyKidsHangers | EverythingHangers.com | RejuvByCaci.com |

All,

I actually got many more emails than I thought I would on this.

I am glad you restarted this post Michael.

If anyone is interested please email me or post here as this is something we are seriously exploring over the next month or so.

I am HOPING to actually have some data and ideas in time for Affiliate Summit so that I can bring some info. in writing to some of you.

I cannot promise it, but I sure hope to have it!
    Matt McWilliams

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Matt, put me on that list of interested affs. I have an hsa but pay way too much for my insurance that it has because i'm buying as an individual for family coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    Matt, put me on that list of interested affs. I have an hsa but pay way too much for my insurance that it has because i'm buying as an individual for family coverage.
    Word.

I have someone working on some ideas here for this. Too bad we also have to get ready for the main part of the Summit (booth, etc.) or else I could guarantee it'd be done...
    Matt McWilliams

Sign me up.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Matt,
    I'm also interested...please put me on your list.

Meeka
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Depend on no one but yourself...[/FONT] :winking:

Meeka,

Can you email your contact information (if you don't mind)

We have enough info to move forward soon (soon in this business means...this year LOL)

We will be sending out a survey to affiliates who are interested with some questions that will determine if this thing is possible.

So far things look good though! Thanks for your interest :-)
    Matt McWilliams

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    As a partner, I hope you'll do your partner a favor an find an application form that does NOT have the following question:

Have you had a heart attack in the last year?

http and a telephoto
    Add me to the list Matt...
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Kay
    As a partner, I hope you'll do your partner a favor an find an application form that does NOT have the following question:

Have you had a heart attack in the last year?

I honestly don't think that exists

I do know that most companies ask for 3-5 years on heart problems as well.
    Matt McWilliams

Any update or progress on this, Matt?
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

Hi Michael, no update as of now.

I am working with a local agent who does a lot of commercial policies to see if the math will work.

For the average fairly healthy person, it seems like we are going to need around 500 people to participate assuming that an average number of "unhealthy" people do.

His fear is that not enough people will sign-up to make it worthwhile for the healthy people. For instance, my premium right now is only $47.40 a month. Assuming that our group of 250 people had the same representation as the average medium-sized business (some healthy people, some unhealthy people, older, younger, etc.), my premium would go up to over $90.00 a month.

He is doing some research in his spare time to find some better deals, but right now, to be perfectly honest, it does not seem that the math works.

He presented some options, but none of them appear ideal...such as:

-Excluding unhealthy people or old people, thus meaning everyone has to undergo an exam first...grrr
    -Higher premiums for those people..basically this would be like having an individual policy with a 5-10% discount and more restrictions...sucks

One thing I will say is that our insurance guys recommend keeping an individual policy anyway. Let's be honest, this particular arrangement will not be the most stable of organizations. If you are healthy now and go on this group policy and 2 years from now get some weird disease and then our group dissolves, you are screwed. You cannot get health insurance for anything. If you have an individual policy, you are set.

OK, I guess that was an update. we will keep trying to make it work, but that is where we stand.
    Matt McWilliams

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    For instance, my premium right now is only $47.40 a month.
    What?????????????

Mine is $567.49 - and is reviewed (meening goes UP) every 6 months. Aargh!

So if I marry you, as your spouse I'd save over 6 grand a year... hmmmmmm

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast