support for Linux?
    Any plans for a port to Linux?

Alternately ... anyone running WebMerge on Linux with something like Wine?

Thanks
    -Ray

Affiliate Manager
    Interesting question. I'm glad to see we have at least one potential Linux user -- I'm working on a Linux version of an app for a client, and that experience will tell me what I need to know to port WebMerge. At the moment I'm inclined to characterize it as a "when" rather than an "if", but I just don't know when that "when" will be.

Which distro are you using?
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

Richard-

I'm not using Linux ... yet.
    Like you said ... it's _when_, not _if_.
    I'd like to make the jump ... sooner than later.
    I was raised on Unix, so the jump is not a big one for me.
    Right now I'm leaning toward Ubuntu.

I'm becoming more dependent on WebMerge (that's a good thing) and it's the only app that doesn't run (or have a reasonable replacement) on Linux. I'm _not_ moving to Vista, so that's the motivator for me.

How about a Java version? Might be able to kill 2 birds with that one.

-Ray

I've tried to run Webmerge under Wine recently with no luck. It works, but I can't open any menus.

P.S. I'm using Ubuntu Linux as my laptop's operating system.

Cool Linspire
    Hi guys

Linspire is a good way to get windows software running ... i have tried WebMerge in Win4Lin Pro in Linspire (Debian based distro) and it works well.. well as far as i can see .... WebMerge is beyond me however i have tried some sample exercises but have not yet found a suitable Tutorial to learn this beast of a program ... you need to be a Rocket Scientest just to open the silly thing ..

from flectronics & Linspire Australia

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by flectronics
    ... you need to be a Rocket Scientest just to open the silly thing ..
    Funny, few have noted double-clicking as an advanced skill.

Assuming that part was merely hyperbole, have you tried the two tutorials at the top of this page?
    Richard Gaskin

Bump.

Richard-

Any new news on the Linux front?

Thanks
    -Ray

Affiliate Manager
    I have an engineer working on UI refinements to take advantage of the themes on various Linux distros, but if you don't mind a build that looks like Motif I can send you one to test. If interested drop me a note at webmerge@fourthworld.com.
    Richard Gaskin

I would also be interested in a Linux port.

Thanks!

Any new news on when your Linux port might be ready for (beta) testing?

Thanks
    -Ray

Pretty Please!

-John, rockin with Linux since 1995 and never looking back (although occasionally glancing sideways at my wife's powerbook).
    There's a reason army's wear uniforms even though it makes them easier to spot. Sometimes that's what you want. Uniforms suggest organization, power, and numbers. These, in turn, inspire fear. And, as any good operative knows, there is no more effective weapon than fear.

Hosting Comparison - HostScope - jrrl.com

bump

Affiliate Manager
    I don't understand the bump here. It doesn't indicate any new user interest, and I'm already familiar with the two here who've asked to be notified when it's ready for testing.

I wish life were as easy as getting closer to a goal by bumping a topic.

Rest assured I've noted this thread and we have an engineer working on this, anticipating Beta this summer.

In the meantime, the weather outside is really wonderful. Enjoy it now, then you'll have plenty of time available when the Beta hits.
    Richard Gaskin

Affiliate Manager AffiliateBuddha's Avatar
    Hey Richard,

Another Ubuntu linux user here eagerly awaiting the webmerge for linux beta!
    Gift Shopping Zone Affiliate Program on SAS - 10% per sale with unlimited cookie duration, over 10,000 products.

In looking for an alternative to use on Linux, after about 5 hours of doing some research on the web, I decided to go with the PHP CLI (command line interface) to see if I could generate static pages in a similar manner.

After about another 6 or 8 hours of work, I happy to say that I have my first website fully generated through a combination of PHP CLI and "make". It actually turned out to be much easier than I expected.

I haven't included all of the functionality that WM provides ... only the subset that I currently use. And of course no GUI ... it's all editing and command line.

But I do now have a complete programming language available to me, including nested IFs (finally!), loops, arithmetic and more. And it would all work on Linux, Mac, or Windows without any porting issues.

If you're inclined to programming, you're not afraid of the command line, and you don't mind getting your hands dirty ... then give it a try.

This removes the last hurdle to making a clean break from Microsoft for me!

Open Source rules!

// Ray

Affiliate Manager
    For those who may prefer to stay focused on their marketing and merchandising and leave the programming to someone else, the programmer doing our Linux version reports that things are moving along well, with GTX support and more, and off the record we expect to be able to start beta testing that version within just a few more weeks.
    Richard Gaskin

Affiliate Manager AffiliateBuddha's Avatar
    Hi Richard,

Was just wondering if there have been any updates on the webmerge linux beta.

Cheers!
    Gift Shopping Zone Affiliate Program on SAS - 10% per sale with unlimited cookie duration, over 10,000 products.

Affiliate Manager
    Thanks to the engineers who've been working on the core engine of our app, I now have a version here in pre-Alpha running with nice GTX support. For the most part it seems to be holding up well under both Ubuntu and Kubuntu, but there are still some rough edges being worked out so it'll be a couple more weeks to Beta.

While they've been working on that I've been moving the v2.5/3.0 code base forward as well (the next two versions will share much more code between then than with earlier versions, and those revisions - not to mention Vista and Leopard - are what's been eating time on these). With Linux the goal is to get a testable version with whatever version of the page generation code is at least testable at the time, so there's a chance it may be v2.5. No promises on that, as there's still much work to be done, but at a minimum the Linux build will ship with v2.4's feature set.
    Richard Gaskin

so it'll be a couple more weeks to Beta.

Good things come to those who wait!

Hey, Richard, count me in too!!!
    I'm not a windows traitor, but...

Ubuntu is free of charge and they offer way, WAY too much more than Windows could...

The super surfing speed, the security risks (none to minimal), no back shadowing while surfing... and the joy of learning something new is afresh!!!! yeah!

Why, I am still using Webmerge in windows xp pro, I want to see it work in ubuntu as well.
    I'd also love a shot at testing the linux version for ya, if you want me to.

I could also use your help in me setting up some templates that would work great with sorting feeds according to category for my new pages... They'll be using .txt files based of course on category (topic) alone for the whole site. I am trying to use webmerge to pull out all relative product links and info and place in my .txt files for my rotator to pull automatically, thereby getting one more step to automation.

Could you PM me the links to all of your available online tutorials again, please? I may need additional aid a little later too.

Thanks
    Mark
    Mark (Satchel)
    Webmaster / Sales Manager
    [url]www.tsmgroup2.biz[/url]

Affiliate Manager
    Ubuntu is the main Linux platform we've been testing on. Our Linux version should be ready for beta testing within two weeks. I'll post notice here once it's available.

As for tutorials, in addition to the one brief introductory tutorial included in the product (you'll find it near the top of the TOC listing in WebMerge's Help), the two excellent third-party tutorials are linked to from the top of this forum page.
    Richard Gaskin

Affiliate Manager
    Just bumping this thread to make sure those looking for a Linux version have found our v2.5 beta, which can be downloaded for testing near the bottom of our Download page:

http://www.fourthworld.com/products/.../download.html
    Richard Gaskin

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread