OK, heres the scene:

You've gone on that hard earned vacation for a couple of weeks to spend all your affiliate earnings. However, something goes wrong back home. You get deactivated by one of the "trusted" third parties, say BeFree, CJ or Linkshare. Or perhaps your website is PR0'ed by Google...

What would you do? What safety nets do you have in place to protect your (substantial) earnings? Is there someone looking after your sites while you are away?

ABW Ambassador
    Good question and I don't have an answer. It is something I worry about too. Just keep doing things by the book and don't spam the search engines or anyone else for that matter. Hopefully if you do get deactivated, it is not because of something you did - more likely sabotage - and in that case, you will probably be reaccepted after the issue is resolved and you are found innocent.

ABW Ambassador
    I agree with Perfect G. Plus get a laptop so that if you are gone for long periods of time you can still keep up on your business. Or you can always stop in one of those internet cafes.

I'd be curious to know why you were deactivated. One time a host deactivated my hosting because they said I spammed and I don't even send out emails. I was pissed. Unfortunately this host had poor customer service with no phone number and did not answer my emails. Then it happened a second time with a different host but they warned me first, therefore allowing me to contact them. I was able to get the issue resolved. Here someone had stole and linked to a graphic on my site and added it in some spam emails that they were sending out and all the sites associated with that email were unfortunately accused of spam. The host immediately helped me resolve the issue and I have'nt had any problems since.

Like Jada said - check in while you're away via an internet cafe if you have to. Also build your biz with more than one network. Diversification is the keyword I keep in my head each day. Never put all your eggs in one basket. I'm aiming to generate sufficient income with several affiliate networks such that one network's earnings will meet all my basic financial needs. Since I'm now with 5 networks, if four of them fall over I'll still be able to make ends meet. Achieving that is still a way off but slowly, slowly ....... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

(edited 'cos it didn't quite make sense before :rolleyes: )

[ 07-23-2002: Message edited by: tmd5 ]

ABW Ambassador
    Before you go on holiday, make sure all your sites have complete, up-to-date backups, with copies securely stored somewhere besides your regular office. Hands up everyone who already does that regularly?? Yeah, right! (Do as I say ... :rolleyes: )

I strongly agree with TMD5 about the virtues of diversification. There will always be glitches of one sort or another, but you can mitigate the risk by spreading things around. Different networks, different promotional methods, different hosts...

Another thing that might help with holiday peace of mind would be to let your host know you'll be away and inactive so that if any (alleged) spam complaints come in, they know the problem originates somewhere else, not with you. This would help to head off "shoot first, ask questions later" problems. And if there were problems, recovery might -- might! -- be easier with such a letter on file.

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread