Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Unhappy GoldenCan is Ridiculously Slow
    I've seen this posted repeatedly but couldn't resist chiming in as well. Excuses of server changeovers and the like are getting less and less convincing. I am on a T1 line searching from a page that has just a search bar (findthebestdeal.net) and it takes an average of 20 seconds -- 20 seconds!!! -- to return hits from a query. I know Asif is a nice guy who truly likes to help folks -- but the system is in dire need of speed upgrades (not to mention upgrades to add functionality like true price comparison/column sorting, zip code/shipping estimates). GC is a fabulous idea for a turn key solution, but the speed kills...

agree.

plus more comprehensive/exhastive and timely update on all coupons released.

very often i see coupons miss out that had been released by merchants.

Yeah -- makes one wonder what the holiday season search times will be. Actually I decided to do a search for "Playstation" to try to mimic holiday volume.

The time from enter to posted results: 52 seconds

An alarming stat to say the least.

ABW Ambassador
    It can't be denied that speed is an issue, with many factors that go into it. But...

zip code/shipping estimates
    What ever for? Isn't that on the merchant's site, where the products are actually sold? That's unnecessary duplication and replication of programmed functions that are needed on the merchant's site. Why in the world would any merchant pay GoldenCan to add it to the system?

not to mention upgrades to add functionality like true price comparison/column sorting,
    Price comparison? Notice all the merchants who fully fund GoldenCan 100% so that affiliates don't even have to pay with "4th click." Who should their prices be compared with, their competitors who AREN'T participating or paying for GoldenCan? I think not. Affiliates who aren't enrolled as affiliates with the other merchants to be compared, who aren't partipating? I think not.

The merchants sure won't go for it; no one would except someone who wants a custom system, and that's something they need to pay for out of their own pocket, and if that's the business model they want and money is no object, that shouldn't be a problem

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=81249

Webworker...
    The shipping cost (along with 'total' cost) is not a 'must' but I think it is more and more what folks expect to see given that it is part of the major shopping systems like pricegrabber, shopping.com, nextag, et al. Most of us have gone for the 'low price' only to see high shipping costs make the "bargain" anything but.

As for price comparison, the question isn't w/merchants and what they want/agree to, it is how much GoldenCan wants to build out/parse the merchant datafeeds (which include price). Asif mentioned to me that they had developed this to some degree but stopped as he didn't think affiliates wanted it (I don't recall his exact words; maybe he could make note of it here). That may have been true before, but online shoppers continue to get more picky about what info they get. This is what datafeedfile.com is doing -- with speed I should add-- (I know, I know, DFF is the anathema word in the GC forum...) and hopefully GC will work to implement the same along with the painfully needed speed upgrades (52 seconds...).

As for the custom system...nothing to report unfortunately...and don't miss that it was somewhat of a hypothetical question!!

price compare thing is not that important if i cannot take into true shipping cost, an estimate shipping is useless to me

and shipping cost is hard to estimate until you put all things into the cart first, usually we buy not just one item

ABW Ambassador
    As for price comparison, the question isn't w/merchants and what they want/agree to
    Oh yes, it certainly is with them! They are PAYING to offer the service for THEIR business.

DFF
    You want that, then go for it! But as to the merchant issue, notice how many programs are 100% merchant funded and free for affiliates there. 3? 4? 5%
    This is what datafeedfile.com is doing -- with speed I should add
    To sign up for affiliates to pay with their 4th click isn't costing the merchants diddley-squat.

GoldenCan has a ton of merchants funding the program 100% to attract affiliates to promote their programs They aren't cheapskates, they're making an investment in us. If they want price comparisons they can sign up with one of the big comparison sites. It's a completely different business model and a different relationship.

The comparison between setups is horsehockey from the prudent affiliate's point of view. Besides, I for one would not want price comparison "as is" in a package deal. I prefer to pick and choose who to promote.

Mr. GoldenCan
    Hi Everyone,
    I see the speed issue for search. This is not normal. we are looking into it right away.

Action Jackson - King of the World
    I see it just loading store displays often on my pages.

Talking Mr. Webworker...
    On price comparison being up to merchants and them paying for it (your rem. above) --

2 things:
    (1) Since Asif said they had previously had something in the works re. price comparison I imagine that this info *is available to GC and is not being withheld by merchants (perhaps GC can clarify whether merchants hold back price comparison -- since prices are displayed I imagine it is on GC's end).
    (2) GC really only has non-4th clicks for mostly re. 2nd and 3rd tier stores. The biggie stores are still 4th click merchants. Also I wouldn't say they have a "ton" -- 38 or so free of 4th click stores by my count (cf. http://www.goldencan.com/Merchants/G...Merchants.aspx).

But really - this topic is about the speed of GC searches so we are getting sideways on that. I actually set up 2 basic sites - one w/ GC (findthebestdeal.net) and one w/DFF (lowpricefinder.net) -- try not to laugh at them (actually they are queried as part of an educational resources page so that end result looks pretty decent...). The speed difference of an identical search on these two sites is quite dramatic. Adding that to the price comparison 'perks' (in my opinion - I realize others don't find it a big deal) should catch GC's attention -- esp. speed with the upcoming holidays and the expanded features re. price comparison in the near future/months ahead. Sorry if this viewpoint troubles you -- I think it is pretty reasonable!

I don't use these types of tools, but as a retail marketer I agree that it's important to offer price comparison. It makes sense to group products with the same UPC together rather than list each separately. And I agree that affiliates should have the ability to choose what merchants will be price matched. In most cases the products won't be matched due to missing datafeed information and one of a kind products, but there might be a small handful of products where this is useful. Price comparison is great for the customers because they love to find the lowest prices, and affiliates win because no matter what store they choose we earn the commission.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Snib / Scott --
    I've been hoping to track you down! Cf. my other post:

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=81249

I can't IM folks yet; is there a way I can touch base w/you?

Thanks..

Quote Originally Posted by OTProf
    I can't IM folks yet; is there a way I can touch base w/you?

Thanks..
    Sure, I'm usually available on the ABW chat. You can catch me there most days and evenings.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

I actually set up 2 basic sites - one w/ GC (findthebestdeal.net) and one w/DFF (lowpricefinder.net)
    Not to get off the subject of GC running slow, but we also have two sites that we have set up using GC and DFF. We have been using DFF on one site since June and have numerous impressions, about 200 clicks and have generated less than a $1 in commission. The GC site produces a steady flow in income. Both sites we use PPC. I have spoken with others that have had the same results with DFF. Have you had any success?

Quote Originally Posted by boningroup
    Not to get off the subject of GC running slow, but we also have two sites that we have set up using GC and DFF....
    boningroup,
    You should start your own thread about DFF and not take this thread off-topic. It's called "hijacking."

Regarding the GC slowness, it's abominable. I've checked some of my pages and actually posted notes on the page that the merchandise loads slowly and it's worth the wait.

Yikes, we shouldn't have to do this, and I'm delaying putting up a lot of GC Christmas pages because I'm really worried about this. Quite frankly, I just click away from a site when a page takes too long to load. I think that maybe ALL the pages are like this and I don't want to waste any more time.

"Hey, there's MILLIONS of other places to shop! And I don't have to drive, just click to the next site. AWESOME!" -- yes, that's the typical customer attitude.

When most people were on 56k they had to be patient. That just doesn't fly anymore. This has to be resolved.
    Renιe
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

Quote Originally Posted by JoyUnltd
    I'm delaying putting up a lot of GC Christmas pages because I'm really worried about this.
    I'm willing to wait the problem out as the delay varies and could improve soon. My reasoning is that the spiders need to know about our pages and it takes a lot of time for the SE's to completely cover all the possible links there so I feel it best to get the links up now as opposed to waiting until it is too late.

Herb,
    You're absolutely 1001% right. Thank you for getting me off my Nervous Nellie horse!
    Renιe
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

I monitor my previous-day site logs to try to tell how much activity there is with spiders visiting the links. There is definite activity, with 'bots following the link trail as far down as they can.

However, I too hate to see long delays in opening pages where a whole-store GC link resides. I see anything from 1 second to 60 second delays today and even more. I see spurts of opening times from 2-7 seconds then a period of 60 and more seconds if at all.

Of course I have no idea if this is database retrieval delay or a problem with load balancing between servers where one of them is not working with the rest. The problem can come from many directions but I feel it will be solved eventually.

Incidentally, I see many pictures missing lately, more for some merchants than others. I'm wondering if the merchants have been jerking the urls around.

Boningroup --
    I agree w/JoyUnltd that we should stay on topic but would love to see you start a thread on the DFF issue re. conversions. I've heard it often enough to be concerned. My 2 sites are just a couple days old so nothing to report.

If you do start a thread on the DFF conversion issue, let us know!

Also - for all - if there is a big speed pick up w/GC, we should all be quick to post the happy change for all to see! I trust Asif will do his best; hopefully the end result is nice gains in speed for all.

Mr. GoldenCan
    Hi All,
    Thank you for making the posts about good and bad things. It always helps us make things better. Our team has been working around the clock to find the problem in search speed and fix it. Search speed is back to normal and better then before. Please let me know if you find any pages whcih are still running slow. We always work to make it better. Some people know that I am a fan of "Thomas Edison". As I live very close to his house where he was sitting recording sound and making light bulb.

Thomas Edison said

"There's a way to do it better - find it."

So we are always working to improve it better.

Improving... but
    Asif et al.

Definite improvement. Searches that were taking 25+ seconds now at 8 seconds; others at 4-5 seconds. This is a noticeable and appreciated improvement. For me, I'd like to see search results in 2-3 seconds on a fairly consistent basis. FYI, I do searches on Nikon, Nikon D50/D80/D200, ipod nano, blender, power juicer & others to try to have some variety. My site(s) as noted above are the impressively bland findthebestdeal.net & lowpricefinder.net - the first is GC and the second is DFF.

Regards to all...

Mr. GoldenCan
    Asif et al.

Definite improvement. Searches that were taking 25+ seconds now at 8 seconds; others at 4-5 seconds. This is a noticeable and appreciated improvement. For me, I'd like to see search results in 2-3 seconds on a fairly consistent basis. FYI, I do searches on Nikon, Nikon D50/D80/D200, ipod nano, blender, power juicer & others to try to have some variety. My site(s) as noted above are the impressively bland findthebestdeal.net & lowpricefinder.net - the first is GC and the second is DFF.

Regards to all...
    Search Catalog has been just been re-populated and any search term which has not been searched yet could take a couple of seconds, but if you try the same search again you will see that it will be much faster from that point on.

1st Search v. 2nd Search
    I think I understand what you are saying, but if a person uses the site for the first time en route to buy an ipod, the faster 2nd search issue is irrelevent, right?

Mr. GoldenCan
    I think I understand what you are saying, but if a person uses the site for the first time en route to buy an ipod, the faster 2nd search issue is irrelevent, right?
    I am just saying, for now as we have re populated the whole catalog that is why the first search can take a couple of seconds more. but that does not mean every search is slow the first time.

Gotcha... thanks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast