ABW Ambassador
    Exclamation WARNING -Do Not Validate your links for SAS
    I just realized now that I having been losing so many potential sales in the past. My own fault I guess but I'm really quite disappointed with sas over this.

What has happened is that because the damn links they offer include the & symbol instead of the W3 validated "&_amp;" (I have had to enter a "_" in there to display correctly otherwise the forum changes it) I was automatically changing them to the correct validated version so my pages will be validated. Now this was working some months ago and now I just checked a link to see that if I do this then the customer gets sent to a sas error page. Now I have to go back and search & replace all sas links to put them back to the unvalidated version. This truly sucks because I can validate other networks links even the terrible Linkshare ones, change the & to the correct "&_amp;" and the links work but not with sas.

I guess I have lost so much money from this & merchants have lost many potential sales as well but I guess I should have checked each week to check on network changes like this. I have noticed a huge decline in sales since May and I see why now.

The only positive out of this is that at least I know now why sales have been so slow and hopefully it will get better now. I guess many website visitors have been scared away by all these errors which is the worst long term thing.

I hate the fact I now have all these pages as unvalidatd now as I had spent a lot of time to validate my code.
    Last edited by glittered; November 17th, 2006 at 08:17 PM.
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

ABW Ambassador
    So what you're saying is that when you go get links and the link has the & symbol and you change it to &_amp; that the links won't go thru to the merchant but to an error page?

ABW Ambassador
    I just tried both ways and it's going thru fine for me.

Personally, I never change the destination part of a link and could care less if it is W3 'valid'.
    But I do have to change the text part of linkshare links, because the multiple '&_amp;' s they put in there breaks the way my blog displays.

Affiliate/AM Moonlighter dflsports's Avatar
    I'll add I use a banner system on an installation of vbulletin and SAS links with the & give it a problem. Not sure why it works that way, it seems the script tries to convert and the & replaces the & causing an error link.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I thought validation was toxic to tracking everywhere...at least that's what people used to post on occasions when the issue came up.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    So what you're saying is that when you go get links and the link has the & symbol and you change it to &_amp; that the links won't go thru to the merchant but to an error page?

yes I tested a number of links out and they all got errors, then reverted them back with just the & and they worked.. seems weird it works for you but I'm using a microsoft database so maybe it also has something to do with it? i might have to do some more testing over the next few days ... i can't be bothered now, weekend, time to relax... thanks for the feedback everyone & i might have been a bit shocked when first discovering this.

Leader, I have got into a number of discussions over validation & not meaning to start another one, most believe it does not change seo but it does have many other related & non related benefits. One of the main ones for me is I can design sites a lot more efiiciently when I can validate as I can then find errors in the css etc. I also love clean code.
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

Hope u get back to making sales and money soon
    [B][URL=http://ablogfullofgames.blogspot.com/]Blog Games[/URL]
    [URL="http://fractalenlightenment.blogspot.com"][COLOR="Red"]Our Blog[/COLOR][/URL][/B]

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread