ABW Ambassador
    Temporary longer cookie - take it or leave it?
    Any opinions on if a company lengthens the cookie duration some JUST through the holidays, and then it goes back to the very, very short # of days as soon January comes?

Is that worth putting links up for, just for about 6 weeks if it'll go back to just a couple of days? Any thoughts on that arrangement? If the AM were to be given feedback on that, what would you tell them?

all donations gratefully received

ABW Ambassador
    Herb, the question that comes to my mind is to wonder why it's only temporary? That's the part that has me puzzled and hesitant.

without knowing what merchandise (or quality/profitability) is going on the block for the holiday period, I'd say they think this is an equitable way to get us fired up. For a brief period. Just long enough to move their stuff so they can have a typical sales rush by year-end.

They probably don't need to nudge us for the remainder of the calendar year.

Especially since we put up a whole buncha extra links for them.

So I get an offer to upgrade my position -- I just go click on it (in LS) in case there are sales. No extra links.

I'm more interested in how the relationship is going all during the year and if conversion seems nice.

And if the AM or merchant is willing to get me the tools I need with which to push their stuff.

I feel there are too many merchants and AMs who feel what we do is extremely secondary to their financial success. (please note previous admissions from AMs here about their EPC fetishes, also)

</rant>

ABW Ambassador
    I'm more interested in how the relationship is going all during the year and if conversion seems nice.
    Rotten conversion with shorter return days, all non-commissionable sales with rare exceptions. So they may convert, but I don't make anything from it.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    conversion! conversion! conversion!

I heard from a very successful affilate that he/she would take a higher converting merchant over another. I strongly agree.

i.e diamond merchant (just an example)
    DIAMOND A merchant - converting at 7%, cookie of 15 days
    DIAMOND A merchant - converting at 3%, cookie of 30 days
    What are you going to pick??

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by FairFieldGetaway-EricEwe
    conversion! conversion! conversion!

I heard from a very successful affilate that he/she would take a higher converting merchant over another. I strongly agree.

i.e diamond merchant (just an example)
    DIAMOND A merchant - converting at 7%, cookie of 15 days
    DIAMOND A merchant - converting at 3%, cookie of 30 days
    What are you going to pick??
    Let's try

Figuring on $1,000 total sales:

widget A merchant - converting at 7%, cookie of 5 days, but all sales non-commissionable (4) past return days = $0 commission
    widget B merchant - converting at 3%, cookie of 30 days = $30 commission

How bowt that one?

If it is not terribly much work, I'd say put up the links. Every little bit helps right? Especially if you know you can convert and keep the commissions with the longer return days.

Even try and blow them out of the water for 6 weeks, maybe you can convince them to make the change stick past the holidays??
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

ABW Ambassador
    If I had pages all set up with the right key words and ranking high in the search engines, and they had product links that I felt would convert, I would put them up through the holidays.

On December 23, I would pull their links, leaving the links from the other merchants with better return days.

In fact that's what I do. I have a list of merchants who change policies right after or before the holidays. I make sure that I don't forget and leave them on.

Two can play this game.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I'd go ahead and accept the longer cookie, provided that:

I wouldn't mind it if I forgot about the links and left 'em up all year,
    and
    I would have signed up with them anyway.

But, I wouldn't bother signing up somewhere just to get a short-term cookie increase.

Quote Originally Posted by webworker
    Let's try

Figuring on $1,000 total sales:

widget A merchant - converting at 7%, cookie of 5 days, but all sales non-commissionable (4) past return days = $0 commission
    widget B merchant - converting at 3%, cookie of 30 days = $30 commission

How bowt that one?
    How 'bout neither.
    Both of those examples suck and are unworthy of real affiliates. A place that calls all the sales noncommissionable is, of course, disqualified. But the alternative of $30 on $1000 in sales? Come oonnnn! That's only 3% commission!!

3% conversions (like you'd originally said) is one thing, but 3% commissions is a pathetic joke. To get on my sites, a merchant has to have a real commission rate (10% being the usual standard). AND long enough cookies. AND they need to convert.

But 3%, that'd be a deal killer even if they do convert. I'd feel ripped off every time I made a sale, at rates like that.

So neither of those widget merchants would find any joy here.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread