ABW Ambassador
    Small vs.large merchants and return days
    Looking at a thread or so in the past day or so about small/big merchants and also about return days, something is now occurring to me.

In checking the return days figures at Sharesale, it seems that there are a LOT of same day purchases made at the "smaller" merchants - more are same day, or 1 and 2 days than aren't.

Could it be that the shoppers we send are focused and don't get distracted at the "small" merchants' sites, who carry very definite lines of merchandise? Maybe they know what they're looking for, see what they like and order.

And is it possible that they're far more likely to be window shopper types who end up browsing through all the multiple categories in the big chain stores, and end up getting distracted and veered off course enough to curb their buying urge, or encouraged to look further to make more comparisons?

When smaller SAS merchants are converting fast, even at those with long return days, and when the big guys with 3, 7, 10 and 14 days have loads of non-commissionable sales and few commissioned (or none in the case of Walmart or ToysRUs), it seems that there's a pattern emerging.

Is it different kinds of shoppers being sent from our sites, or is it the difference in the merchant they're going to that's making a difference?

ABW Ambassador
    What percentage are you seeing at SAS with same day purchases?

RETURN DAYS ANALYSIS is a cool little report they have at SAS. I'm getting about 70%.
    Last edited by Trust; November 19th, 2006 at 08:02 PM.

ABW Ambassador
    65-70% overall, figures for the last 100 and 200. It figures a bit differently between a lower and a higher avg sale amount between different merchants for different lines of goods (and naturally a bit differently for the gross sales amounts figures).

But looking at the same day % figures combined with the % for 1-2 days, something is very amiss with LS merchants having all non-commissioned sales. Even based on an awful 3 return days it doesn't compute, since most of my SAS sales (on average) are within that timeframe, and not all are the type that are easy, lower checkout impulse buys.

RETURN DAYS ANALYSIS is a cool little report they have at SAS
    Agreed! It's one of the most valuable we can have, imho. Especially so since it shows for individual merchants, so we can get a great picture of how they convert and how soon.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by webworker
    Could it be that the shoppers we send are focused and don't get distracted at the "small" merchants' sites, who carry very definite lines of merchandise? Maybe they know what they're looking for, see what they like and order.
    Great thought Web. Targeted product listings / pages convert higher because the shopper is not subjected to hordes of unrelated merchandise listings, hundreds (or) thousands of product links that often blend out against each other, time consuming searches, and navigation through a thousand categories - hence a more direct, simpler time saving experience for the visitor. Simplicity for the visitor + popular demand products = higher conversion.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

ABW Ambassador
    There's an interesting Clickz article by Bryan Eisenberg that's kind of relevant to this train of thought:

Navigating Through Analysis Paralysis

...when faced with too many choices, our brains seem to freeze. Instead of making one, we become paralyzed while thinking about which one to choose, and often end up not choosing at all.
    This is what may be happening, especially judging from completely unrelated items that are turning up this month in the Individual items report (it's always been that way with Overstock in particular) - and also in the Non-commissionable report - mostly Walmart, as usual.

In contrast, I'm seeing purchases made at a few Shareasale merchants for exactly the items the people clicked on the links for at my sites, judging by the dollar amounts of the sales matching up.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by webworker
    I'm seeing purchases made at a few Shareasale merchants for exactly the items the people clicked on the links for at my sites, judging by the dollar amounts of the sales matching up.
    Could be an easier pre-sell with smaller niche merchants. Also, consider if you've linked to individual products and pre-sold them.

I, too, see mostly same day purchases in SAS return day stats but I also see plenty of sales for all the other options.

And yes, I think visitors get distracted by too many options. - If a visitor is looking for a Christmas gift for a specific person and/or for a specific product (or type of product) and happens to stumble upon our pre-sell link for that product, they're not as confused with choices when they click through to the merchant if we've done our job correctly. Offering visitors too many choices for any keyword or niche can make them crazy, too. Keep it simple and keep it easy for your visitor to buy ...
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    Keep it simple and keep it easy for your visitor to buy ...
    Great advice and a great reminder Rex. Focused pages create a simpler experience for the visitor. They require a bit more work than a site with countless categories and links, but the conversions versus visits confirm that simplicity returns a higher sale per visit rate.

The key is "keep it simple and make it easy to buy."
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread