Millionaire on training wheels Justdoit's Avatar
    I know some of yu who are making a substantial income already from affiliate marketing have mentioned that you have taken on apprentices, how has it worked for you and has it been worth the time and effort you have put into teaching them?

[ 07-23-2002: Message edited by: Justdoit ]

I'll let you know after my therapist says I'm better.

I

The short answer: No.

The long answer:
    There are only 92 naturally occuring elements in this world. Amazing what the various combinations thereof produce.

There are only 4 or 5 basic elements of successful affiliate marketing. Teaching someone how to combine them into successful affiliate marketing is another ball of wax all together. There is something intuitive beyond each of the elemental parts that is very difficult to impart.

Difficult, but not impossible. In general, it doesn't pay, if that's what you're interested in. And many folks won't get it, so you have to judge what your time is worth.

I insisted on hoops to jump first: Get a simple personal page up on a free server with an HTML editor and FTP client. Set up a cj account via my links. Log in to a ppc and get used to the interface. That screened first level dregs who wanted to be hand held through more than I was willing to do.

In the end, I won't be helping much more with affiliate marketing beyond this board.

ABW Ambassador
    I have over 200 subaffiliates in a variety of programs. That's not quite the same as "apprentices" but I've had contact with a few of them, offering to share know-how, links, etc. I can count on one hand those who have produced anything more than nickels and dimes for second-tier revenues. The vast majority never earn a cent.

If you want to make money with affiliate marketing, you need to plan on doing it yourself.

Elisabeth Archambault

ABW Ambassador
    Well. I just took on my own sister. She lives 1300km from me, so that in its self is fun.

Reason I was willing to help her out, is because of her back problems.

She is driving me insane. She's older then me by about 10 years, so she has it in her head, if I can do so can she. And she thinks I'm going to give her all my secrets, which in its self isn't bad, but then she calls me and wants me to copy and fax or scan her some checks, as she's wanting to go into partnerships with some other people. This is where I drew the line. No. It's one thing for me to help her, but I'm not about to teach 3 or 4 especially people I don't know period.

I too made her jump through some hoops, do a personal homepage, downloaded and read Ken Envoy stuff, and go through merchants at Cj.

I tried teaching my husband, but he hasn't shown interest in quite some time, He created only one page. When I get the time, maybe I'll finish the site for him someday.

Some success I did have. I got contacted a few years back, from a teacher, who wanted to get into affiliate marketing, and he did have some html experience. He was quick and easy, perhaps a bit too easy. He ended up competing with me quite a bit after awhile, he wouldn't give me a good placement on his website, where I put him on my navigation bar. So none the less the friendship we had ended.

So my moral, I'm done with helping on the personal level. Meaning people in the real world that I know. I'd rather help out here on this board and other boards. People have helped me out along the way, some I don't know, some I do, so I believe in returning the favor to those just starting out.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    My mother is my only "apprentice". I wouldn't dream of doing it for anyone else and I'm not going to do a lot for her either!

The reason for this reluctance to help her more is because as long as I am willing to hold her hand, she doesn't learn Squat. I finally took to driving around while she was making pages and then just cleaning up the damage upon return... for instance, I must have told her 10,000 times to "make sure to get all the tracking code" but only after she didn't (and the DreamWeaver then went all screwy) did that point get *remembered*!

Also getting the real concept of a Dud Merchant through took me allowing her to promote a couple of dogs, before she would do what I said for how to pick a good one! Then she picked a good one, but not until then.

It seems like people have to find out The Hard Way about some things...trying to prevent the mistakes and destruction only caused arguments anyway.

As for it being worth the time and effort, (and mega FRUSTRATION), NO WAY, not on your life, not in a financial sense. I wouldn't do it for anyone else!

So like Webmistress said,

"I won't be helping much more with affiliate marketing beyond this board."

My nerves are fragged just thinking about it.

I'm also helping my sister learn the biz.. I spent last week building something then handed it over on disk with a couple of books and the cheapest pc I could find.. now it's up to her, I'm not going to look at it again.. too many things on my to do list!

btw, I only ever recruited two 2nd tier affiliates thru cj even though I put some effort into recruitment.. and I never made more than a couple of dollars out of it.. I think that route is a waste of time

[ 07-23-2002: Message edited by: chinaski ]

I have a few apprentices at the moment..

My brother was my first apprentice, and he's really starting to make a go of it now and I expect he'll be quitting his work shortly. A rule of thumb I set in place from the beginning was that any site he built, that he'd link to at least one of my sites from it. This hasn't really done much for me yet, but perhaps one day it'll pay off if he manages to get a page rank of 8 or so..

My wife has also quit her career and is now building sites for herself.

I also have her sister, brother, and a friend all building sites for me. The way it works for them is that they have to build sites for me first, and for that they gain the knowledge in the process. After they have done a set amount of work, they are free to go off and build their own sites, and I host their sites on my servers for free.

I think it's great having apprentices as you can work out a deal that is beneficial for both sides. The biggest buzz though is when they start making money.. It's hard to explain, but in some ways their success becomes your success, and if your apprentices
    are people you know well, it's a lot of fun.

It is rewarding in ways other than financial. I like hearing the whoops of glee when Apprentice 1 makes a sale. It sure beats listening to moaning about the non-arrival of a welfare check. (And as of this week shes earning *more* than a government handout. Not bad for three months.)

And the other one gave up his job with the family firm last month (told his mother to stuff it). They'd kept him busy 18 hours a day, secure in the knowledge that this way he'd never find the time to train for something else and break free.

I gave him a page building formula (beat it into him while he was too low to fight back, more or less) and since he got his first sale I've had his *full atention*. Now he knows enough to just grab some data and build his pages offline on his laptop wherever he feels like being that day.

He has to make a go of it or go crawling back to The Famiily. And since 'we' just dyed his hair orange I don't think he's too keen on that!

Bottom line is - I'm not going to allow either of these people to fail. Their freedom is at stake. If I had to I would build every page for them.

Just don't no-one tell them that..! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Theres my sister too. I just gave her a fully functional site so she doesn't count as an apprentice. Its probably enough that she can quit her job if she wants to, and spend more time raising rugrats.

And, as CJ lost track of my two-tier sign-ups its probably as well I'm not in it for the money.

I

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by buckworks.com:

If you want to make money with affiliate marketing, you need to plan on doing it yourself.

Elisabeth Archambault
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is kind of a sad statement but unfortunately I agree with it. Without 2-tier(or more) override commissions - there is no financial incentive to mentor others ( that is one thing affiliate programs could learn from traditional MLM).

Personally I have learned a lot from ezines,some websites,discussion boards plus trial and error. A lot of investigation of some of the successful sites also was necessary.

Larry Wentz
    www.AffiliateNetwork.org www.MultipleDomainHosting.net

ABW Ambassador
    There are a lot of things that many of us have learned by trial and error, and some of those things cannot be passed on, no matter how well we explain it. As in Leaders experience, it isn't until they get their hands dirty (and slapped at) does it begin to sink in. I don't use apprentices around here, but I use plenty of interns at the radio station. I will teach them the basics, but I won't show them everything. There are some things they will have to learn on their own. Besides, If I were to show them everything I knew, I could be the next Disc Jockey looking for a new job. I show them how to run the board, put commercials onto cart (similar to an 8 track cartridge)..where the VU meters should be. Just the basics...they can watch me on my on-air delivery, but I can't teach them personality, or proper delivery (their proper delivery would be different than my own).

As for affiliate marketing goes...I think eventually the student may outrank the teacher and become the competition, or take their knowledge to a competitor...too much to risk IMO. Show them some HTML, show them how to set up a product link...even show them some decent design skills...Show them the ropes, but remember 'Your not dying and they are inheriting your business'. If they are good, perhaps you could hire them as a FT employee, but even then, wouldn't show them everything [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Larry, I must clarify. I made my statements assuming anyone who wanted to learn from me as an "apprentice" would be at CJ (2-tier) under me.

That 5% of a 2-tier's 10% commission is really a slap in the face considering the effort it takes to get a 2-tier to make more than pocket change.

There should be a SUBSTANTIAL cash bonus for anyone whose 2-tiers make a decent amount of sales, on top of the standard override.

And even with that, I doubt it would be worth it. It's just too much aggravation, IMO!

Webmistress:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>There are only 4 or 5 basic elements of successful affiliate marketing. Teaching someone how to combine them into successful affiliate marketing is another ball of wax all together. There is something intuitive beyond each of the elemental parts that is very difficult to impart.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is definitely what I'm getting a feeling for.. I understand most of the elements but it's gluing them together the right way which is tricky.

I guess the key thing is the time and effort you put in learning and developing.. I've found that to get anything out I need to put quite a lot of work in. Well, the end goals for me are to build up first a decent secondary source of income and then hopefully one day doing what I've always wanted to do all along, make a living by webby things (and be my own boss!)

I don't think theres a 10-step programme to affiliate riches, and if there were then people wouldn't necessarily want to share all their secrets. I think the key thing is that it's a learning experience [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I don't think theres a 10-step programme to affiliate riches<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's right.. there's far less steps than that..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>and if there were then people wouldn't necessarily want to share all their secrets<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That statement's right on the money..

Millionaire on training wheels Justdoit's Avatar
    A lot of very valid points made by all.
    I guess I can see where it wouldn't pay off with CJ anymore due to the fact it would add up to pocket change for the mentor.
    I though maybe with some of the 2 tier affiliate programs it may be worth it, but then you run the risk of the person taking all your hard earned knowledge and using it against you.
    I guess I had a bit of a head start than most others as I can manage to make somewhat of a webpage, learning to do much better [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] .
    I have used payperclicks extensively for other things so I have those down pat, but the affiliate side of selling actual products and search engine optimization was entirely new to me.
    I have learned a lot from these boards and most of the info I need to succeed is here.
    I actually thought of the time I spend building pages and doing research and would never have time to have an apprentice if I get to that level income.I also realize that a lot of people see this as too much work to even do the basics necessary to succeed even if you give them the formula on a platter.
    Some will, some won't, and I'm quietly busy building an empire.
    Icicle does aff marketing cover all your therapy bills?
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

It was interesting reading some of these posts. I have a relative as well that thinks this is just a matter of throwing up a few banners and tada!

Is he ever in for a rude awakening.

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread