Controlling Forum Posts w/ Affiliate Links
    I noticed the post about having Chat on a site and I was wondering about Forums. I have one site with a forum and people are forever putting up affiliate links (not mine!) and advertising some bogus click-through free deal. Is it worth the time it takes to clear out all the garbage? I'm thinking blogs might be a better and easier way to control such stuff. Opinions?
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

ABW Ambassador
    "I have one site with a forum and people are forever putting up affiliate links (not mine!) "

That's something you need to set straight from the get go. Have it in your TOS when people sign up to your forum and then follow thru every time. Set the tone. As far as blogs, they get spam too but you can set them for no comments or you can moderate them, approve only the comments you want. It's easier to control with blogs.

Blogs are much easier to control. I know wordpress has some nice spam removal plugins which do it automatically. If you don't have the time or resources to devote to full time forum moderation, then blogs are the way to go.
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

ABW Ambassador
    leeann, what forum software are you running?

Outsourced Program Manager
    Hey Leann,

I hope this doesn't come off spammy in itself, but my product, bounce.cc, will email you when an affiliate link is posted and someone clicks on it.

PM me if you want more info.

-Michael

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    it takes a lot of effort to clear up spam posting and if you do not it automated, tough luck...
    or unless you have a group of mods working for you.

eitherway, you need to clear it out for the intergrity of your site and not drive traffic out without commission...
    This way, it will create value to your customers/site users and search engines

I run several communities, and in each it's handled slightly differently.

On one site we have a special forum for your "promotions" and members are regulated ONLY to that forum to allow to promote their links or sites.

Another site we don't allow it at all.

Still another we allow for you to put your site in your sig and allowed to talk about it in threads/posts, but you are not allowed to post affiliate or promotional ones. Makes sense this is a webmaster type of community.

It's really hard to NOT moderate a site. You got to do it most of the time if it becomes popular, and as they become more popular they get harder to police.

These are just a few of our examples.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Nunez
    Hey Leann,

I hope this doesn't come off spammy in itself, but my product, bounce.cc, will email you when an affiliate link is posted and someone clicks on it.
    Michael
    Michael, we talked about Bounce at the lunch in Central FL two weeks ago. I think you have a heck of a program there. Great product that has great benefits for users.

Alan
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Quote Originally Posted by chetf
    leeann, what forum software are you running?
    chetf - It comes with a fantastico package, called Simplemachines.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

CPA Network Rep
    I tend to agree with Trust and Eric here, I think it's worth cleaning out and then changing your TOS to say none of that garbage is allowed or you'll be blocked for 24 hours (or something of the sort). Lengthy process - sure. Worth it - I think so, it must bother you enough to make you post about it so I say yes, get rid of it!

Quote Originally Posted by gillian
    I tend to agree with Trust and Eric here, I think it's worth cleaning out and then changing your TOS to say none of that garbage is allowed or you'll be blocked for 24 hours (or something of the sort). Lengthy process - sure. Worth it - I think so, it must bother you enough to make you post about it so I say yes, get rid of it!
    Yeah, it's not worth the hassle. I was trying to create a community of sorts, but I don't see where it is really helping too much. Blogs are simple to control...although the "bounce" does sound like an excellent solution.
    leeann

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread