Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Responsibilities of Affiliate Manager?
    I am not sure whether it is a right place to post here...If not, SORRY for that.

1) What are the responsibilities of Affiliate Manager?

2) How company recruits affiliate for its program & how its works?

I am newbie for Affiliate World.

Welcome to ABestWeb, manpasand!

Quote Originally Posted by manpasand
    1) What are the responsibilities of Affiliate Manager?
    • Identifying and recruiting new affiliates
    • Maintaining stimulating relationships with the current affiliates
    • Developing and monitoring affiliate promotions
    • Reporting for affiliate marketing promotions and activity
    • Maintaining on-going communication campaigns
    • Identifying and implementing other opportunities to enhance the affiliate program
    • Keeping affiliates up to date on new products and any program enhancements
    • Continually motivating affiliates to perform better
    • Keeping track of affiliate sales and paying affiliates in a timely manner (for in-house affiliate managers)
    • Monitoring and reporting on competitors’ affiliate campaigns and promotions

Quote Originally Posted by manpasand
    2) How company recruits affiliate for its program & how its works?
    What company? An affiliate management company?

Geno

3. Thanks From:

Thanks for the info Geno, this was the information that I (as a newbie biz owner) was looking to have answered!

Steve

You're more than welcome, Steve, and again: welcome to ABestWeb!

Geno

Hey, I got something out of that post too! Sometimes it's good to see your responsibilities laid out in black and white like that. Thanks Geno!
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

Talking
    One of their number 1 priorities should be to keep parasites out of their program.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

8. Thanks From:

http and a telephoto
    Creating tools for affiliates to enable them to show products and get links easier
    Educating affiliates on best practices.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    Creating tools for affiliates to enable them to show products and get links easier
    Educating affiliates on best practices.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Someone sticked it! Nice!!

It should become one of those threads that benefit the industry as a whole, and it is my privilege that I have had a chance to take part in it.

Geno

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    You are "A - OK" Geno. Thank you for your contributions.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Outsourced Program Manager Rick - Bitcom's Avatar
    Just want to add a couple of things to Geno's already great list...

Not all AMs do this kind of thing but some can...

1. Developing "content" for affiliates to use. In the case of a "golf" site these could be product reviews, general golf advice, and articles on trends in the industry. The idea here is to help affiliates become "experts" in the niche. If the AM knows the niche well they can be really helpful here.

2. Custom creative development. Some AMs can create graphics and fine tune banners to meet an affiliates site requirements. These functions are usually performed by a creative department but if the AM has the skills it only eliminates one extra level of time and cost and miscommunication.

3. Keyword recommendations. If the AM is an expert in the niche they can help identify "long tail" keywords that affiliates can use for both SEO and PPC. For example, in golf... "golf impact dust" was a hot term for awhile.

4. Affiliate Development. Super affiliates are not born they are made. They have much to learn to become successful. Nuturing and educating new affiliates on how to become successful is an important role that an AM can play. Many new affiliates with potential never get over the early humps of traffic development and monetization best practices and drop out. That does not help anyone.

Just a few thoughts...

14. Thanks From:

Smile
    Thanks Geno explained the whole process of affiliate program.
    And Rick presented some detailed key points during the affiliate process.

BTW, could I cite your message and other messages at abestweb to my page. I registered just now though have visited here times before. Thanks!

Welcome to ABW, paultze!

Quote Originally Posted by paultze
    BTW, could I cite your message and other messages at abestweb to my page...
    Re ABestWeb content: on the very bottom of every page of ABW you'll find a message that goes like this:

(C) 2001 - 2005 - ABestWeb™ - All Worldwide Rights Reserved
    Trademarks are property of their respective owners

Content may not be republished, in any manner, without prior written permission

...that should answer your question regarding all ABW posts.

In case with my above-quoted post, it is taken directly from my book. E-mail me at info/at/amnavigator/dot/com and I may very well let you use it with proper credit and link-back.

Thanks,

Geno

I am aspiring to be an AM now I have a "roadmap" to help me get there. Along with other threads and posts I have read, everyday I am getting "golden nuggets" of priceless information to help me along. Geno I am going to have to read that book of yours, sounds like great reading material!! And props to Rick also for adding more points to follow!! Keep the info flowing I feel like a sponge....lol

Super Affiliate Seeking
    I too am an aspiring AM and new to this site and world. Thank you for the primer.

Rick mentioned what I joined this site to find: Super Affiliates.

What is the best way to find the "super affiliates"?
    I have seen that most affiliate programs are quoted in % and I an nervous that my program does not offer a very high % of total sale. It does though offer big money per sale (around $800 but only about 2.5%) as commission because it is a high priced product. It is just that my margins are slim because this is relatively new technology but the % should increase as I realize more sales.

What else can I do to get the Super Affiliates involved other than offering high %?

SuperSeeker,

First, everyone wants a few super affiliates, so their is lots of competition to get them (and keep them). You need to have a solid program they can trust and they have to believe it is something they can sell before they will even try it. They are super busy and won't waste their time if they even think it is questionable.

My feeling is that your regular affiliates are 99% of your affiliate base and you should work with them the most. They are your bread and butter in any program and they deserve the proper attention and support. Build your reputation, build trust, and the super affiliates will notice you and perhaps give you a try.

Check Geno's signature above and he has a link to a book he wrote for affiliate managers. It's really a great book and the perfect place to start.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

hi,
    I'm new to the affiliate marketing business. I'm interested in becoming an affiliate manager. As an affiliate manager, do i need to sell actual products? Or is my job more to market other merchants products?

all help is appreciated
    thanks
    Mo

What?

An "affiliate manager" is usually the person who works for the merchant to help recruit and encourage affiliates; it often also includes interacting with any third-party solution providers (such as an "affiliate network" like SAS or AvantLink or Performics).

The merchant actually sells and ships the products (or arranges for them to be shipped).

The affiliate (a.k.a. web publisher) promotes the products on web sites, PPC marketing, or other allowed practices.

The affiliate manager may also engage in some "affiliate-role activity," or may also do other work for the merchant, but the "affiliate manager role" only includes working with affiliates and the affiliate network (see the earlier posts in this thread, especially Geno's, for some examples of duties that may be included).

The affiliate manager is often an employee of the merchant; sometimes the affiliate manager works for an affiliate network (under contract to the manufacturer); sometimes the affiliate manager is an indepdendent contractor (directly or through an "outsourced program management" [OPC] agency).

22. Thanks From:

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    One of the most critical and important aspects of a "Manager" position includes daily and ongoing compliance checks for things like "Adware", "PPC Bids", etc...
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Super Affiliates will find your program if it has something to offer and you are found for your niche. You can also develop the next SA by helping that 99% of inactives in your program.

In four of the biggest programs I managed over the last 3 years I have seen many of the biggest affiliates in the business who had signed up but never activated. These were 2-4 year old programs on LinkShare, Commission Junction and BeFree.

As a new AM you need to focus on getting the word out to the market and in this case it is the consumer and affiliates. If you are not visible affiliates will not sign-up other than those who sign up to every program in a network just to see what is out there.

I would just like to say THANK YOU to everybody for helping us "newbies". The information in these forums are priceless. I've been doing nothing but reading threads for a little over 2 weeks, and think I'm finally on my way to be a great AM. I owe this to all of you, and partial credit to that brain of mine to be able to put up with me, LOL. Again, THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!

-Nicole

Affiliate Manager
    I'd like to second ncurl's words of praise. This forum can be extremely helpful, especially for us noobs. Thanks!

Justin

Another challenge on the AM "to do" list is to create innovative ways for your affiliates to compete and prosper online. No longer can the content they wrote about birthday parties 10 years ago survive on organic page rankings any longer. Blogs, syndicated data, social communities and the internet's ability to allow "anyone" to publish their two cents online about a product or service, means adapting to an ever changing environment. You better stand behind a product (and program) you believe in because someone somewhere can spread news about it very quickly.

An AM's job is to meet industry changes and relay their findings to their affiliates. Educate the tail because it's often their collaborated sales that makes it possible for you to pay the big guys at a higher commission.

In summary,
    1.) read up on industry trends and landscape changes,
    2.) offer innovative tools to your aff's before anyone else,
    3.) offer affiliates the opportunity to promote you with some updated techniques. Even if they don't follow your suggestions, it may just open up their minds and truly make them feel part of your marketing team.

And that, in my opinion, is one of the most important “to do’s” an AM can master.

Good points, kmacbc.

Educating yourself on an ongoing basis + continuously transferring your findings upon your affiliates (regardless of the size) should definitely be one of the key roles of an affiliate manager.

Geno

29. Thanks From:

I am a newbie so forgive me for asking ..... what do you mean "to keep parasites out of their program?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast