Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    Just an interesting note (at least to me [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]). I was running some numbers on one CJ merchant that I have on three sites. Two of the sites are strictly "sales" sites and one is a c*ntent site. All three sites are targeted to the SAME topic.

Here are the numbers for this ONE merchant.
    Sales Site 1: 3,074 clicks, 103 Sales, 1:30 CR, EPC $23.92
    Sales Site 2: 461 clicks, 11 Sales, 1:42 CR, EPC $16.53
    Content Site: 520 clicks, 4 Sales, 1:130 CR, EPC $4.73

Now this is not to trash the content site -- the content site is in directories where the sales sites dare not go and it also serves nicely to boost the PR of the sales sites.

Just some food for thought.

Now if those figures were for yesterday, I have to redesign some sites :eek:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Now this is not to trash the content site -- the content site is in directories where the sales sites dare not go and it also serves nicely to boost the PR of the sales sites.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I sure wish someone had told me a couple of years ago when I started building my content site, that I should have planned on including sales pages in it from the very beginning.

I'm finding it difficult to go back and retrofit sales pages into a content site without totally losing focus on the original theme of the site.

I understand the concept of content vs. sales, and that there are two different types of people on the Web: the information surfers and the shopping surfers. I have a lot of the first, and need more of the second. :rolleyes:

It is amazing what a slight shift in focus can do, isn't it?

Andy

Andy, I had the same dilemma you did and here's how I'm solving it - I created a sister "boutique" site that has both the same base URL as my content site (to get the SE benefits my content site has - www.mysite/boutique.html, basically), and its own URL which I sent to Inktomi and any other SE I could find (I'm also gradually listing all the boutique's pages with Inktomi as my budget permits). As a result, the boutique has had a pretty easy time getting good placement in Google and elsewhere (wordtracker research also helped with that), I'm keeping the integrity and direction of my content (important since I'm a writer and considered something of an expert in my field), and selling stuff, too! Not a bad deal. Now I'm in the midst of creating a couple additional sites - one, a little more focused on the selling end of things (any "content" will be sales-heavy and supporting product and product pages), and the other a site for a personal passion that I think can turn into a few bucks if presented properly.

When you say a sales site, do you mean creating it so it just looks like an online store rather than having articles and content? Thanks.

ABW Ambassador
    >>When you say a sales site, do you mean creating it so it just looks like an online store rather than having articles and content?<<

No, more like a list of places to get whatever the end-user is searching for -- I never try to make my web pages look like a store, just where-to-buy info. A site optimized for sales, nothing else.

And no articles. Copy, yes, but all sales copy.

Janiss,

Thanks for the advice. I'd even thought of creating a sub domain for my sales pages, but I'm going to just keep trying new things to integrate them into the current site. Something will eventually work, right? :rolleyes:

Andy

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Andy, I'd suggest either a totally different site, a boutique like Janiss, or a section done in a similar manner.

The term "boutique" kind of gives a different impression that what I am thinking of, though. That implies that your content viewers would know it was there/prominent links! But there is no need for your content viewers to ever know about it. You can just set it up seperately either by her method or by a method like http://www.yoursite.com/store and then promote it the same as a totally different site.

You can snag some PR from the main part if you put an unobtrusive link from somewhere there, but it doesn't have to be in a place the content viewers will really notice it...

Eventually you will probably want a totally different site(s) where you can go 100% commercial without caring what DMOZ thinks of it, or worrying about what will happen to the c*ntent section.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Andy, looks like you posted while I was still typing! Well good luck--but remember domains are cheap, you can always set up another site when the time comes.

ABW Ambassador
    >>Something will eventually work, right?<<

Not to be discouraging, but I wouldn't count on it, Andy. That is, I wouldn't count on ever finding a way to make the content seekers buy. I tried for three years with a fairly heavily trafficked content site and never got there. My sales sites are all babies compared to my oldest content site (age and trafficwise), but they butter the bread.

I also found that as long as I was trying to work with the content site, my product choices were severely limited... starting a new site really opened a world of opportunity. Nothing that makes me money today would be of any interest to the folks visiting my oldie-goldie content site.

Cedric,
    Thanks for posting this [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

What Leader said!

Vicki [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Thanks everyone! Great advice.

Leader, I followed some of your tips from the CJ Forum, and I have made good money from those pages.

I think I grasp the overall concept, and you're right: domains are cheap. I should probably start looking for a good one for my revenue pages.

It is frustrating when people click but don't buy. I guess they never stop to consider how all of the content gets paid for. :rolleyes:

Andy

Still wishing there was a money tree in the back yard...

Though I haven't run all the numbers as Cedric has, I completely agree with his results. The dog of my sites is the big content one that probably took thousands of hours to build and maintain. It's valuable now as a place to hang links, but it's never converted. Some of the same products that I sell on that site I'm selling on others as well and they're converting much better on this flimsy sales pages. Lesson learned. Dave

This is a topic that I have long been interested in.

The truth of the matter is that people who are browsing content are completely different from people who are looking to buy. That's why so many content sites are flailing out there.

There are many examples of this, but take it from me. I bought a ton of CPM ads back in the day on content sites and they performed terribly. Yet those same ads on directory's kicked butt. Even if I advertised on a product review page for the product I was selling. It performed much worse than if I just targeted the keyword for that product.

My view on content is that a rising tide raises all boats. My flagship site is a content site that has a Google PR7.

I have hundreds of sale pages (boutiques, if you will) under that domain. All of those pages get a boost from the ranking of the site, even though the visitors to those pages may have no idea what the primary theme of the site is.

My belief is that the top rankings I get for sales pages comes, in large part, from the ranking of the site in general.

Not only that, I'm passionate about the the site's topics.

ABW Ambassador
    >>My belief is that the top rankings I get for sales pages comes, in large part, from the ranking of the site in general.<<

Not in doubt -- my oldest content site has a PR7 and that contributed highly to the PR7 of my largest sales site. It's the primary reason I wouldn't consider selling the site (I was passionate about the topic three years ago, not now).

It just doesn't sell anything. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Senior Affiliate Manager AMWSO James - AMWSO's Avatar
    I totally agree with Cedric. When i put together my first site I (kind of) followed Ken Evoys approach. I did the C. T. (i.e. content and Traffic) and didn't focus enough on P. M. (presell and monetize). Naturally I had a big content site that got a decent amount of traffic (after 9 months 3000+ uniques a month) but made me next to nothing. I really got frustrated and thought that internet marketing doesn't work ;-)

My next endeavor followed Corey Rudyl's approach of sales copy...Long sales copy on one page...This worked...Really well too...What i do now is a mixture - one long sales copy page focusing on one product, with content built around it that might lead off to a small selection of other products but still really focus on the main product.

I think a lot of people forget that they need to sell the products they are signed up for. Since I've been working as an AM for JobsInSports and Panda I see sites every day that will never make any significant money. Why? They don't give a strong enough reason to buy the products on their pages. It's really that simple.
    James D. Nardell
    AMWSO.com Affiliate Management Team
    email: James.Nardell [@] AMWSO.com
    Phone: (805) 624-5669
    IM - Google/Skype: JamesNardell
    iolo technologies | Paychex | Personal VCard Website

ABW Ambassador
    Another 3 year old thread

Senior Affiliate Manager AMWSO James - AMWSO's Avatar
    Interesting topic though....Totally didn't notice that the last post was 2002. It's an ABW antique!

Maybe we should stuff it...

James D. Nardell
    AMWSO.com Affiliate Management Team
    email: James.Nardell [@] AMWSO.com
    Phone: (805) 624-5669
    IM - Google/Skype: JamesNardell
    iolo technologies | Paychex | Personal VCard Website

I think it is just as relevant today!
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

ABW Ambassador
    That conversation has been done to death, all those content site vs. sale sites threads end the same.

Holy Enchilada! James, you got me! I started reading this thread, then found a post I'd made 3 years ago - takes you off guard for a second. I always fall for this, I get that feeling I've been here before...and I have! Good post with great info, though. It deserves renewed attention.

That conversation has been done to death, all those content site vs. sale sites threads end the same.
    So what? The subject is very clear. If you aren't interested, don't read the thread.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

ABW Ambassador
    Let's talk about content generators instead?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast