Taking a Pagerank Vacation
    I know what you are thinking "What is a pagerank vaction?" Here we go.

Yesterday I updated my browser to IE7 since it was full of add ons like the new search which I have set to Google I deleted the google toolbar to make room not realizing the pagerank info checker would go bye bye.

I didnt realize how I looked at that every time I went to a web page. It can become obsessive when you are looking at your sites. Since I don't play the link partner game anymore I think I will take a vacation from the google pagerank bar on my browser. After all it is not really accurate and as long as you know where your keywords rank it is useless.

So now I am on a pagerank vacation. I can't think of a reason that I need it as I can check backlinks through Google sitemaps. All that will come out of this is me making better pages for my valuable readers.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Lightbulb
    I keep mine as it doesn't take much effort to glance at it once in a while when checking my sites. I even get surprised occasionally.

Outsourced Program Manager Rick - Bitcom's Avatar
    So this brings back the age old question...what is the best way to judge a sites traffic? Sure there's no absolutely accurate indicator. Just best guesses. Which is the best guess of all the best guesses.

We've got Page Rank and Alexa Score and others.

I've been using the Page Strength tool at SEOMOZ and I've been digging it. It combines a whole bunch of parameters into one indicator. I'd love to hear what everyone thinks of it.

Check it out here.

15 years and counting
    I like your tool. It's a good compilation of several sources, Yahoo, Google, Alexa, Tecnorati, del.icios even Vickipedia.
    "Your site is having an impact and is a leader in your field. Keep on this path; it's clear that the effort you've put in is producing results."
    I like it even more after reading what the tool is saying on an other one of my sites.
    "You're running with the big brands and sites," I know...

I stopped running a PageRank toolbar 2 years ago when I switched to Apple. I really don't miss it one bit. It seldomly changes and even when it does it's not much of an indicator. I'm much better off checking my real time click tracking.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

ABW Ambassador
    "So this brings back the age old question...what is the best way to judge a sites traffic?"

By how many clicks they send you

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    "So this brings back the age old question...what is the best way to judge a sites traffic?"

By how many clicks they send you
    But that doesn't take into account the fact that some parts of a site can be ranked well, while other areas of the same site get no traffic.

On my malls it's common for me to see that effect. It reminds me of throwing a bunch of lotto balls (or bingo balls) into a bucket...I never know which areas are going to come up for the next draw.
    Last edited by Leader; November 25th, 2006 at 07:15 AM.

Talking
    So the moral of the story is - if you spent as much time working on your sites and putting out as many pages as you can - instead of looking at PR all of the time - you would have more sales - because the more pages you have - the better the chance of your site being found.

It's always worked for me.

As often as the SE's change their algo all it is is a crap shoot anyway.

Today you may be on page one - tomorrow page 1,000 and the day after that on page one again.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBoy
    the more pages you have - the better the chance of your site being found.
    I don't necessarily agree with this. You may have millions of pages, but without strong incoming links they aren't worth squat. This used to be the case a couple years ago, but now in the SEO world it's more about quality than quantity.

- Scott

Talking
    You better get to work on making those pages.

I have plenty of quantity pages coming up on the first page in SE results - and yes - on Google.

I have plenty of quanity pages coming up on the first page in SE results - and yes - on Google.
    I would attribute that to the strength of your incoming links, not the quantity of pages

- Scott

Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    I would attribute that to the strength of your incoming links, not the quantity of pages

- Scott
    I have no incoming links - never have tried to get them either.

I have no incoming links - never have tried to get them either.
    So I would say you're the exception, not the rule. Most of us need to work very hard to get those incoming links so we can rank well. I just don't think it's a good idea to propagate the idea that more pages = more traffic. That'll just create even more spam for the search engines to filter out.

- Scott

A couple of things....

I believe that if you are able to achieve some good rankings without working on your inbounds, that's great! Well-made sites will naturally achieve inbounds with little effort required to go link-hunting anyway.

That said, if the pages achive good ranking and fail to attract said inbounds, they will usually end up drifting down the SE rankings in a fairly short time anyway.

I just don't think it's a good idea to propagate the idea that more pages = more traffic. That'll just create even more spam for the search engines to filter out.
    Some people can actually create many "good" pages, and even if you consider them spam, so what? Perhaps others don't, and who really cares that the SE's have to filter them? Isn't that their purpose?

Talking

ABW Ambassador
    I actually removed my toolbar for the time being because a site I was working on got into the index by just having the toolbar on my browser while viewing the page. Didn't want it in the index yet. Still there tho.

"
    Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    But that doesn't take into account the fact that some parts of a site can be ranked well, while other areas of the same site get no traffic.

On my malls it's common for me to see that effect. It reminds me of throwing a bunch of lotto balls (or bingo balls) into a bucket...I never know which areas are going to come up for the next draw.
    "

I was kind of more talking about merchants using that as a deciding factor on who they let in their program. Some affiliates are just starting out, some do PPC, some might build a site/page just for your program etc. Those kind of things take in more of the SEO aspects and SEO isn't the only way to get traffic. Judging a site on Alexa and PR and trying to figure out what kind of traffic they get and what kind of traffic they might be able to send you. Just don't think that's the best way. For me it would be actual traffic, not guesses at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    So I would say you're the exception, not the rule. Most of us need to work very hard to get those incoming links so we can rank well.
    Scott is right. I suppose in an obscure niche industry with little (if any) competition pure page stuffing might suffice, but in any competitive environment you'll go nowhere without the backlinks.

Adam

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread