Question The New Posts Feature?
    I don't know if it's my browser, or if it's a new ABW update.

But since yesterday I have noticed that after I login-in, the New Posts don't show how many New Posts are here.

Today after I log-in, I clicked on the New Posts on the main page and I got Showing results 1 to 42 of 42, but when I clicked on the Midnight Cafe' forum, I see 141 New Posts, so what is going on?

phew .... im not crazy
    Been seeing this too.
    ================================================================
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!
    ================================================================

I thought it's a glitch in the system -- you mean it's a special feature?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

It's the difference between posts and threads. There are 141 new posts, but they are in 42 theads.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    "But since yesterday I have noticed that after I login-in, the New Posts don't show how many New Posts are here."

Seeing the same.

Posts vs. Threads
    For the record, I miss the previous 'setting' The amount of new posts is more useful than the number of threads.

Adam

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Looks like the regulars hop right on the "new posts" link like I have for years.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

the chat room link is gone now too on the main area, but still there on some of the sub forums
    Heidi
    "Happy are those who dream dreams and are willing to pay the price to make them come true"

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    But since yesterday I have noticed that after I log in, the New Posts don't show how many New Posts are here.
    Yeah, I'm seeing it too. I just click the link anyway, but I still miss seeing how many there've been without having to go into a thread or subforum.

ABW Ambassador
    vBulletin had a new security update, as with all their updates - they screw everyone with a custom look. So it may just be those templates aren't ready/got screwed by latest patch. It really is odd, that the free phpbb handles updates about 15,000 times better than the $200 vBulletin.

Drives me nuts, you can see it is a product created outside of what their customers want, but instead is created for what is important to the dev team. I have spoken with them at length about their update process, and all I will say is - their arrogance puts 180solutions to shame.

Chet

It's the difference between posts and threads. There are 141 new posts, but they are in 42 theads.
    I know about that already, because I was told the same thing long ago when I asked the first time.

Well, I don't know if it's just me or what but, the way I see it, is that once you get used to see how many new posts were made while you was not around, you may feel more comfortable login-in and just click on the New Posts link to see those numbers there.

While it would make no real difference to see the actual number of new posts in general, or the number of threads with new posts, I think that for some members (me included), it would make no sense to log-in just to read the new posts if we're not planning to make a post, or we're in a hurry to see what's new on every forum.

Many members don't use the New Posts link and just read only the forums that they are interested with, so they may not notice the difference.

Also, if you're just going to read only the forums on which you're have some interest, and not really care of what's going on every forum at anytime, or you are just short in time, I don't see a reason to log-in just to read what you can read while not logged-in, and just get your daily fit, without anyone else knowing that you was around.

This is my look on it:

The less perks we get after log-in, the more lurker there will be, even if they are long time members, and the more lurkers we see on the forums, the less new posts will be made by those members lurking around.

After a while, I can get used to almost anything, so I am not complaining about this, I just wanted to express what I see as a negative new thing that may or may not have some consequences before people get used to it.

Sal.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal
    Also, if you're just going to read only the forums on which you're have some interest, and not really care of what's going on every forum at anytime, or you are just short in time, I don't see a reason to log-in just to read what you can read while not logged-in, and just get your daily fit, without anyone else knowing that you was around.
    That's what I'm starting to do
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by chetf
    vBulletin had a new security update, as with all their updates - they screw everyone with a custom look. So it may just be those templates aren't ready/got screwed by latest patch.
    I'm still seeing the number of new posts in THIS thread and section (Feedback), so I'm thinking that Haiko changed/updated the main forum template to either not include this feature or it got lost in a revert.
    Scott
    If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, then baffle them with bulls#!t
    Don't tell me that you'll do it... SHOW ME.
    Just because everyone else is drinking it is no reason for me to drink the KOOL-AID.

Quote Originally Posted by Nature Boy
    ...changed/updated the main forum template to either not include this feature or it got lost in a revert.
    Yeah, it's kind of lost.

The New Posts feature was important to many of us.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Fixed, sorry. However, we will be upgrading the board slowly and hopefully painlessly, during the month of December to start 2007 with the new code base. If anyone does see any anomalies please post them.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    It's Working, see qty new posts now

Thanks, Haiko.

Now I can have some daily new numbers to play on the lottery again sometimes.

Sal.

ABW Ambassador
    "If anyone does see any anomalies please post them."

There might be a little something with the PM's. Usually I get a pop up of a new one and it used to have PM New something like that. And I'm not seeing that now. I just checked them now because there were a few I thought would get back to me and they did, I just didn't know it until now. I think it might have started around Nov. 25th or before.

ABW Ambassador
    Also, email notification of new PMs. Used to get that, not anymore. Not really an issue since I'm usually here

Actually nevermind this post and the one before it. I checked my options and they were unchecked, not sure how that happened.

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread