15 years and counting
    Chad Herman of Second Bite Interviewed by Practical eCommerce
    Scary stuff, interview with Chad Herman, the master brain behind Second Bite.
    Grab a glass of milk, your Newcastle Brown Ale or a full bottle of wine and move the cat from your armchair. It's not a 5 minute interview.
    This guy tells us how it works. He knows full well what's an Affiliate Program and what it does.
    If you're not working with products but leads and think you're not concerned: LISTEN.
    Why Second Bite is working as an Affiliate?
    1-To keep it simple, offer your stuff for free, it's an easy sell
    2-The Merchants know well what an Affiliate Program is

You're going to learn what's an Anonymous Shopper Record, no more privacy with Second Bite

We need to stop these people, RIGHT NOW! If you have any power with the networks, do something. Their business model is not compatible with an affiliate program. They can't work as an affiliate.
    He talks about LinkShare, CJ, KowaBunga but also others. All carts can be infected including Yahoo and Google.
    The interview with Rachel Honoway of Kowabunga don't tell us too much. http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=161
    We understand KowaBunga switched their business model, they are no more a network but a parasite.

This interviews goes deep in the details: OK, here it is:
    http://www.practicalecommerce.com/po...fa0918f6a12ebf
    Title: Second Bite's Chad Herman
    Length: 00:15:04
    Published: November 01, 2006
    Do you have trouble with shopping cart abandonment? Research has shown that online consumers abandon their shopping carts 75 percent of the time. Second Bite integrates with a shopping cart and offers a potential solution for order recovery after a consumer abandons a cart. Chad Herman is the director of business development for Second Bite and he recently spoke with Practical eCommerce's Contributing Editor Mitch Bettis.

Don't forget to check your merchants:
    I can't check them all, I found a few more early this morning:
    Zales: http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=82000
    Personal Creations: http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=82031
    Cosmetic Mall: http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=82036
    Not fully tested
    LimogeJewelry
    Adagio Tea
    FTD (performics)

I understand a few ABW members may know Second Bite much better than me, either because they did attend symposium together or are working with them. Pls tell us your story.

Ok, my speakers are shot so can't listen to the interview...
    What are we gonna do, all go add items and then abandon carts to see who is using Second Bite?

15 years and counting
    Quote Originally Posted by ADesertRose
    Ok, my speakers are shot so can't listen to the interview...
    What are we gonna do, all go add items and then abandon carts to see who is using Second Bite?
    Like most affiliates, you must be making 80% of your income with a few important merchants. Work on them. You can place orders thru your own links or other affiliates (to avoid them to argue they only work with non affiliates sales), abandon the cart and wait for the email to come or contact your affiliate manager and ask them if his/her merchants work with second bite. I don't think they can afford to lie on such an important matter.
    I've no idea how many merchants are infested. Second Bite is just starting their activities. But if your merchants are infested, you can kiss good bye a good share of your possible income in December. ( I got an email from Second Bite in less than 2 hours, but it can take several days) They are not a super affiliate for nothing. Remember it's your money.

thanks for the update and your work tracking these down, zeus

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Interesting / scary stuff Zeus. Thanks for taking the time to look into this and pass along the links.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

15 years and counting
    You don't have to thank me for bringing you this information. I'm happy if you understand what's going on.
    Affiliate Marketing is part of of life. It's like a baby for me. My first five years were wonderful, I got back all the love I put in my business. The last five years were different, I had to fight all the time. Now, what are going to be the next five years if we don't do something.
    We can't let misinformed people ruin our business. I'm thinking of all the small affiliates being mislead by the networks and not getting their fair share. Second Bite is just an example, please have a look behind the networks smoke screen. I'm not paranoid, I don't vent for the pleasure to vent.
    Many merchants are working hard to keep their customers and affiliates happy, they need our support. A few are taking advantage of us. Don't let a few bad apples quickly ruin the whole barrel. Participate, these threads are yours.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeus
    You don't have to thank me for bringing you this information. I'm happy if you understand what's going on.
    Affiliate Marketing is part of of life. It's like a baby for me. My first five years were wonderful, I got back all the love I put in my business. The last five years were different, I had to fight all the time. Now, what are going to be the next five years if we don't do something.
    We can't let misinformed people ruin our business. I'm thinking of all the small affiliates being mislead by the networks and not getting their fair share. Second Bite is just an example, please have a look behind the networks smoke screen. I'm not paranoid, I don't vent for the pleasure to vent.
    Many merchants are working hard to keep their customers and affiliates happy, they need our support. A few are taking advantage of us. Don't let a few bad apples quickly ruin the whole barrel. Participate, these threads are yours.
    Your seeing right through the smoke and mirrors the networks are laying down. They need our targeted traffic to make the incentive based Super Affiliates and their Point of Sale attack dogs have targeted cookies to overwrite. You can bet anyone in the know at the networks can chart a 80% across the board drop in legit affiliate earnings for the last 5 years. Bet they cheered when GoldenCan and the PSC showcases got so much exposure as their Supers love to poach those sales too.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

15 years and counting
    I've 10 years of stats to back up what I'm seeing. It makes the task easier. You can still make money if you work with a merchant infested by Second Bite. They are not going to take more than 40% of your money. You can still do good. I received my second email from Cosmetic Mall/Second Bite less than 24H after my purchase. They are working hard to steal Connie Berg money but she doesn't know it. She's still doing OK. How much is too much? What are Affiliates going to accept, 10%, 20%, up to 40% of their commissions? If you work hard, very hard, you can still make it. It's the cost of doing business. Right? The cost is rising but the money is still there... Are you going to wait for the next rise to stand up?

15 years and counting
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeus
    I've no idea how many merchants are infested. Second Bite is just starting their activities.
    I'm answering my own question.
    January 27th, 2005 - 11 Months ago
    "Second Bite announced today that 300 online stores have integrated Second Bite's patent pending shopping cart abandonment solution, marking a major milestone for the product."
    http://bizpr.news.prweb.com/releases...rweb201835.htm
    Any idea about these 300 online stores? It was nearly one year ago.
    How many merchants are going to steal our holiday bonus this year?

ABW Ambassador
    It doesn't make sense that a patent could be issued for a technology being used that is putting every single merchant using it in breach of contract with every one of their other affiliates, with the networks involved aiding and abetting the contract violation. Breach of contract is a tort - fraud goes beyond that.

Yet another thing that shows how much lobbying is needed for affiliates.

I can understand how a patent could be issued, the legal conflict only applies if the shopping cart abandoned was created by a customer who clicked through an affiliate link and did not return before the cookie expiry. A cart containing nonaffiliate sales, or one that has been sitting around past the time of cookie duration would no longer violate the contract between merchant and affiliate. The technology itself is not evil, just the potential uses! I am sure there are merchants who just want to capture as many sales as possible and don't realize there is a conflict, some will and won't care...time to educate the former and weed out the later.
    Now as for myself as a consumer, I would not want to receive email from a third pary concerning a sale I abandoned, my merchant trust would be out the window and I would be seriously irked.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread