Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    Brick & Mortar vs Online Holiday Sales?
    I am just curious of others opinions regarding the success of Brick and Mortar Black Friday/Thanksgiving weekend sales being an indicator of how the online holiday sales will do?

I am waiting for the B&M numbers to come out the first part of the week. I know it was predicted to be a good shopping season, but I also know that many of the stores in our area did not do well at all.

Our area Walmart was DEAD - the workers there said they didn't even make sales on Friday. Kmart had the same story. The only place that was really busy was Kohls.

I wonder if this was area specific or this way everywhere?

I am hoping that this is not an indicator that online sales will be down this year too.

So, what is your take on this?
    ~Michelle
    "All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
    "Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

Have to wait and see - hopefully the lack of offline sales will be due to an increase in online sales

Quote Originally Posted by ~Michelle
    I am waiting for the B&M numbers to come out the first part of the week. I know it was predicted to be a good shopping season, but I also know that many of the stores in our area did not do well at all.

Our area Walmart was DEAD - the workers there said they didn't even make sales on Friday. Kmart had the same story. The only place that was really busy was Kohls.
    According to ShopperTrak RCT, B&M ran an avg. 6% increase on Black Friday. However, Wal-Mart reported sales barely breaking 1%+. I think the increase is coming because of high-ticket items such as large TVs, surround sounds, etc. The price on many of those items is finally within range for the average working person. Lots of people cancelled weekend getaways when the gas prices were high. I suspect they'll reward themselves over the holidays by buying 'family' presents.

As far as online vs B&M... the 'experts' are projecting increases for all. Hopefully the merchants will offer lots of free shipping w/ discounts.

Target is going to smash Wal-Mart this year. The shopping enviroment is so much nicer at Target and they offer more 'theme' concepts which promotes multiple sales. Wal-Mart tried to copy the ideas, but they didn't get started soon enough. Kohl's and Macy's will be top runners too, I believe. Sears - who knows - they just can't seem to get competitive enough. Lowe's will beat out Home Depot (I bet)... purely because of price.

Anyway.. it's all a toss up..but I like to watch. For my own sites? I'm featuring higher dollar items for a change.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

I heard that the our nearest Kohl's did fantastic, too. I've heard quite a few people talking about it. My wife drove by at 11am. The parking lot was full, the field across the street was full, and tons of people were circling looking for a place to park. I've heard that the lines inside went almost all the way to the back of the store, but that it moved quickly.

I would attribute Wal-Mart's B&M (AND ONLINE!) failure to increased competition from places like Kohls (and online due to poor infrastructure) rather than an indicator that online sales will be slow.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    My mother and law was at Kohls when they opened. She grabbed the couple things she wanted then stood in line for over 3 hours to pay for it!

The line did wrap completely around the inside of the store here.

A few other people I know that went there the morning got their stuff, then saw the check out lines and said forget it and left.
    ~Michelle
    "All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
    "Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by ~Michelle
    ... She grabbed the couple things she wanted then stood in line for over 3 hours to pay for it!
    I would hate that. I hate lines. I avoided stores during the "Thanksgiving Weekend."
    Friday I went to the post office & it was totally empty -- what a great day to buy stamps
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    "According to ShopperTrak RCT, B&M ran an avg. 6% increase on Black Friday. However, Wal-Mart reported sales barely breaking 1%+. "

Heard pretty much the same thing. Overall sales up 6%. Walmart was down .1 %. As far as online sales, it's like the World Population. It'll just go up and up every single year. It's a good business to be in.

Action Jackson - King of the World
    Their bad publicity prolly didn't help either. Last night on tv they were saying how Walmart's website wasn't working correctly and was often down. Let's hope it's not that way Monday.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    "As far as online sales, it's like the World Population. It'll just go up and up every single year. It's a good business to be in.
    Yes it will. At times is is better than others. At times it makes us jump up and down for joy. At times it deflates our balloon for the day. But everyday the online opportunities grow - as does the population - so we are in a great business at a great time.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Internet Cowboy
    I ended up in my local WalMart late Friday and it was not busy at all.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Same thing here with Walmart. I was on my way down to one of our espresso shops Saturday and noticed that the Walmart close to the shop was less than 1/3 full. On the other hand though, the shopping centers were packed.
    Last edited by ALH - AmeritrustRx; November 27th, 2006 at 12:07 AM. Reason: add on
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread