Question Petco did NOT track w/Google checkout
    Friday I placed an order with Petco (CJ) and used the Google checkout. In the past I have used their regular checkout and had no problems. I usually got credit for the sale within a few hours. Using the Google checkout I have yet to get the credit!

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by boningroup
    Friday I placed an order with Petco (CJ) and used the Google checkout. In the past I have used their regular checkout and had no problems. I usually got credit for the sale within a few hours. Using the Google checkout I have yet to get the credit!
    Oh this is SO not good! Thanks for posting this info, Boningroup!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    I hope you get it straightened out with them. Petco is an old customer of mine from another time, and I tend to think they are a pretty good group of people, so I'd bet on them taking care of it.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

http and a telephoto
    I am pretty sure aff tracking doesn't work with Google checkout, Home Living Style removed it as a payment option before launch of the affiliate program after talking to a Google rep about it.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

ABW Ambassador
    Well that sucks, that's something we're going to need to watch. Petco is usually my best performing pet merchant.

Outsourced Program Manager tmartini's Avatar
    I just pulled all of the Google Checkout offers for Ritz Camera, Wolf Camera, CameraWorld and Buy.com off my site. (Luckily I wasn't promoting the Petco offer.) After I read this thread I checked my stats and found that I had one Ritz Camera sale on over 800 clicks over the past week, which is highly unusual for a merchant that usually converts pretty well for me.

Thanks to BG for bringing this to my attention.

-- Todd
    Last edited by tmartini; November 28th, 2006 at 06:18 AM.
    Todd Martini
    Digital Marketing Manager
    Jones Soda Co.
    Follow Me on Twitter

Todd, i think buy.com tracks. I think every mention of buy.com on my site talks about google checkout too, and I seem to have transactions, so I think it's working.

Buy.com even promotes the $10 and $20 off Google Checkout coupons through the affiliate channel, so they better track. I haven't promoted the Google Checkout coupons because 1) who knows if it will track, and 2) I'm not sure I like the idea of Google getting into payments.

Has anyone done a test purchase with Google Checkout on Buy.com?
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Internet Cowboy
    Lots of people are promoting the Google checkout coupons and I had a PFX merchant who did not track sales when the customer selected Google checkout. They supposedly fixed it, but I think Google checkout is just what some slimy merchants are looking for to avoid paying their affiliates.

This has to be addressed as it will become a larger and larger problem.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    The thanks for buying confirmation / receipt page is not on the merchant's site... won't load the code snippet to trap / trigger the affiliate transaction (nor the merchant's internal ppc tracking mechanisms).

Google's got this help file:
    http://checkout.google.com/support/b...topic=0&type=f
    (which addresses the merchant's internal sales tracking, but is the very same issue as the affiliate one)

frankodelic talked about it here:
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=81313

My chosen processor allows me to choose where the customer is returned to after the sales transaction is completed... if I had an aff program, I could point to my receipt / thank you page and fire off the snippet so tracking happens. But with G, they don't seem to offer this option... seems weird to not return the customer back to the site they just purchased from...

Quote Originally Posted by ReallyBigGuy
    Todd, i think buy.com tracks. I think every mention of buy.com on my site talks about google checkout too, and I seem to have transactions, so I think it's working.
    Hey RBG,

It's possible that it is tracking, but I had nearly 3000 clicks on Buy.com over the last 7 days with only 9 sales. Not quite as bad a conversion rate as Ritz Camera, but still way below average. Just to be safe I've pulled all Google Checkout offers from my site until I get some confirmation that it's actually tracking.

Hope everything is going great. Talk to you soon.

-- Todd
    Todd Martini
    Jones Soda Co.
    Follow Me on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    Buy.com even promotes the $10 and $20 off Google Checkout coupons through the affiliate channel, so they better track. I haven't promoted the Google Checkout coupons because 1) who knows if it will track, and 2) I'm not sure I like the idea of Google getting into payments.

Has anyone done a test purchase with Google Checkout on Buy.com?
    Hey Michael,

I actually held out on promoting the Google Checkout coupons until Thanksgiving week, and only added them after being assured by the affiliate managers of the programs that tracking would work fine. Now I'm sorry I added them! ;-)

Hope everything is going great. Talk to you soon.

-- Todd
    Todd Martini
    Jones Soda Co.
    Follow Me on Twitter

Groan. I just relented and added the Google Checkout Coupon offers this afternoon. I'll have to watch carefully. I just checked my stats with Buy.com. My conversion ratio has been declining the past two months. This month is less than half of my average conversion.

They're saying that affiliates get full credit (even the $10 or $20 discount doesn't get backed out) for Google Checkout sales.

Buy.com is a batch processing merchant, so the tracking pixel on the confirmation page isn't an issues.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    Buy.com is a batch processing merchant, so the tracking pixel on the confirmation page isn't an issues.
    As they aggegate the batch data, what mechanism (on which page or transaction event) marks the individual sale records within the batch that an affiliate referred the sale?

There are several ways it can be done and the confirmation page at Buy.com may still be their trigger method... not necessarily, but it can be. If it is, the Google Checkout separation for confirmation might still be an issue. So you may be right (and very likely are, I've never been a Buy.com aff), but are you sure their confirmation page isn't where the action gets tagged?

Affiliate Manager affiliatemanager's Avatar
    Buy.com - Google Checkout Transactions Do Track
    Dear Buy.com Affiliates,

I cannot speak for other merchants, however I can validate that Buy.com orders using the new $20 off $50 or more coupon via Google Checkout will track and affiliates will earn commissions.

Because Buy.com only reports shipped sales, and due to the holiday weekend, you will see delays in posting shipment records. (Orders are shipping within 3-5 business days and keep in mind the holiday and the weekend warehouses are closed). In fact, I received an email from CJ that their reports are delayed today. Give it a couple more days and you'll see how well this campaign is performing.

The $10 off $30 coupon is also available for publishers to advertise and receive commissions. I can honestly say it would be a shame for you to not promote these amazing two coupons. YOU WILL EARN COMMISSIONS!

Check our GET LINKS section in CJ's interface for our creative selections.

Thanks Mike for letting me know about this thread and also feel free to contact me directly with any questions.

Cheers,
    Melissa Salas
    Buy.com Marketing Director
    949-389-2431
    melissa@buy.com

Another order was placed with Petco but not through the Google checkout and it did track. I have sent an e-mail to the Petco AM today asking the AM to check into the Google sale.

Todd Martini
    Jones Soda Co.
    Follow Me on Twitter

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread