New Version of Blogger?
    Has anyone switched to the new version of Blogger?

The problem with the new version is there's no turning back to the original version.

Any thoughts?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    Rhia, what are the main differences between the old and the new? Is the new better or worse, or just different?

Quote Originally Posted by webworker
    Rhia, what are the main differences between the old and the new? Is the new better or worse, or just different?
    This is what Google writes:
    The new version of Blogger now has all the original features you're used to, plus new post labels, drag-and-drop template editing, and privacy controls. And, it's a lot more reliable.

After you switch you'll need to sign in with your Google Account, but your blogs will stay the same. Their content and layout will not change.

New ways to customize your template
    Drag and drop page elements and easily change your template's font and color scheme.
    Private blogs
    Create a blog visible to just your friends and family, not the whole world.
    Labels
    Give your posts a category label so that you and your readers can easily sort by topic.

Want to switch?
    Three things you need to know:

You’ll need a Google Account
    After you sign in with your Blogger account, you can create a Google Account or link to your existing one. More about Google Accounts
    Third-party applications need to update
    External websites and applications that post to Blogger may need to update to post to the beta. Check with the developer of any third-party app that you rely on before switching.
    You can’t “undo”
    Your blogs and profile will stay the same — but you can’t go back to the old Blogger application.

Google Accounts are better protected against fraud, impersonation, and abuse. In addition, by switching your Blogger account to a Google Account, it will be easier to use other Google services like AdWords, Google Groups, Google Alerts, Froogle Shopping List, Personalized Search, your Personalized Homepage, Google Answers, and many future Google services. You can find out more about Google Accounts at the Google Accounts FAQ.
    It looks as if sooner or later the switch will be mandatory.

Some of the "Features" almost remind me of WordPress features?

In terms of what Google is offering, the drag & drop customization feature (of the blog's template) seems like an improvement. Goody! New color & font options for the templates...new permissions feature...

More feed options

We’ve added some additional feed options for our more advanced users. Now you can have a feed for all the comments on your blog, and even individual feeds for all the comments on each separate post. We’ve also added support for the RSS 2.0 and Atom 1.0 standards.
    The instant publishing capability will be the best thing -- there were times I wanted to publish something but the darned system wouldn't publish it!
    Instant publishing sounds great! YAY!!!

I might as well try it unless anyone has a hard luck story??

The only problem is: it looks as if I'll turn into a Google Bot

And the icing on the cake: "...it will be easier to use other Google services like AdWords" -- can't wait!
    Last edited by Rhia7; November 27th, 2006 at 08:30 PM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

My dad switched over to the new one and it seems great. They make it much easier to manage your template and navigation. The only problem I can see is they don't let you show your archives in quite the same format as before. Maybe they've fixed this though, I'm not sure.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Okay, here's the follow-up:

I read all the nicky picky fine print (I actually like doing that ).
    I decided to apply for the new version but was told that a couple of my blogs are too large (1,000+ posts) so I'll have to wait

The new version is still in beta -- at least I gave it a shot

I was most enamored with the potential to create semi-private blogs, but I'll have to wait.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

I have one small blog there and it was always a real hassle to get there and update it. It is Christmas related, so I took the time to go there today and I was happy when I saw that it could be switched. It took about 5 minutes (small blog) and now I can sign on through my Google account, which I had anyway.

Wasn't Blogger always a Google property? I think they just finally hooked it into the main account?

Quote Originally Posted by jmoore61103
    I have one small blog there and it was always a real hassle to get there and update it. It is Christmas related, so I took the time to go there today and I was happy when I saw that it could be switched. It took about 5 minutes (small blog) and now I can sign on through my Google account, which I had anyway.

Wasn't Blogger always a Google property? I think they just finally hooked it into the main account?
    A few of my blogs have lots of posts, so I have to wait.

You're right, Blogger was sold to Google & now their bringing everything together.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

I switched over most my blogs to the new format. It takes a bit to get used to. It is definitely a lot more user friendly. Even the most novice of bloggers should be able to create a nice looking blog. And it also still allows for HTML editing which is very useful. I still have a few of my blogs in old format, simply because old habits die hard, and I have gotten into such a routine with posting in the old format, I don't want to switch just yet.
    [B]Jon Lyons[/B]
    Director of Affiliate Operations
    [EMAIL="jon.lyons@fluxads.com"][SIZE=1]jon.lyons@fluxads.com[/SIZE][/EMAIL][SIZE=1] | 1-877-GO-2-FLUX | [URL="http://www.fluxads.com/"]FluxAds.com[/URL][/SIZE]

[SIZE=1]LinkedIn: [URL]http://www.linkedin.com/in/jrlyons[/URL][/SIZE]

Now that im familiar with the blogging scene ill be switching to Wordpress, investiagte it before switching to the new blogger. Open source is wonderful, there are hundreds of modules and templates that make blogging more entertaining. The only good thing about blogger is it is owned by google so their spiders check it out almost in real time, but that it, otherwise blogger is average but good for the average guy. Word press needs a little more skill to setup but if you are into open source software then Word press is the way to go

Cheers, Andrew ;o)

When I was trying to figure out how to start blogging, I heard about Wordpress and it sounded too good to be true. So I googled "Wordpress sucks". My decision was made. By the end of that afternoon I had 2 set up and was busy learning basic PHP so I could dink with the template. hmmm The gool ol' days.

Quote Originally Posted by turtledesign
    Now that im familiar with the blogging scene ill be switching to Wordpress, investiagte it before switching to the new blogger.
    Thanks for the advice.
    In some other thread (and I don't feel like hunting at the moment *lol*)
    Zeus said that Linkshare links didn't track on a Wordpress blog.
    Has anyone else had similar problems? When Zeus said that, my desire for Wordpress cooled a little. Is that unfounded?

Thanx everyone for the input
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Hi Rhia7
    the crux of the matter is both pieces of blog software, well any piece of software for that matter will have its pros and cons. If you have problems with a software it all depends on how much time you are willing to spend to sort it out. There are even better softwares than blogger or wordpress but then you pay. So using a particular software all depends on your situation and your willingness to find out how it works. Take me for example html is for the birds, i have 5 websites and they are all SQL databases, either in joomla or PHP Nuke or Mambo depending on the size and look i want. My whole systems are geared for database (from emails, newsletters etc), hence the natural progression is say wordpress. For others it may be something else. I found that working with databases is far easier than html, only problem is setting it up thats why the average user would prefer html. The html setup is easier but internal working is harder than, say working on my database websites. But that my opinion.

Regards, Andrew ;o-)

Thanks, Andrew, for your interesting take on the matter.

I've been thinking of trying Joomla, but I haven't taken the plunge.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Rhia7
    You wont be disappointed if you go the open source route, if youre a logical thinker then i guarantee you you cant go wrong. Within 4 months i have setup 5 joomla sites, busy with one and plans for 2 other for my niche sites. There online help and tutorials are the best youll ever see, and that is no lies They have an active forum of over 40 000 users and developers and well over 1 million downloads and that in just over a year or so. Tells you something doesnt it!

Regards andrew {)

oh yes if your hosting company has a linux package they usually have a joomla script or PHP nuke so all you do is hit the install button and everything is automatically setup, otherwise you have to set up the database yourself which will take a bit of effort, but as i said a little effort in acieving the goal and then its ten times easier than coding html.

Andrew, thanks for the tips & the encouragement.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Hey Rhia7
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    Andrew, thanks for the tips & the encouragement.
    need help just let me know, dont know much but know enough to get a couple sites up and running.

cool bananas
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by turtledesign
    need help just let me know, dont know much but know enough to get a couple sites up and running.

cool bananas
    Andrew
    There's a lot of things going on right now, so I probably won't venture into something new just yet -- I thank you for your generous offer.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread