ABW Ambassador
    Host new blogs at Blogspot (or Wordpress) or on domain?
    I'm not fond of blogging (to put it mildly), I'd much rather be meddling at forums.

There's some good reason to start blogs for a couple of sites though, to update maybe weekly, but I'm undecided whether to do them at the Blogspot site, or to put them in a subdirectory of the domains in question. Another alternative is to do it hosted at Wordpress.

Which work better, any preferences for one over the other? Any thoughts as to which option is preferable?

You are in, or you are out ... choose!
    If I were you, I would keep it on your site and therfore in your control.
    [url=http://www.dWoz.com/][b]dWoz[/b][/url] - serious webmaster tools & resources.

Internet Cowboy
    WordPress is a snap and there are lots of template sets available for it. My vote is WordPress on your own domain. Google shuts down blogspot blogs with little or no activity.

Verbosely Virtuous Mutt spacedog's Avatar
    I fully agree with Woz. If you use a hosted blog like Wordpress.com, your blogs and product lines that you intend to promote by way of blogging are under the whim of the hoster's guidelines. I've already read of more than a few instances of Wordpress "policing" their blogs and removing content they don't approve of for whatever reason, usually when it's used to sell products.

Take a look at this article about Wordpress and its blog police.

Certainly other blog hosting companies reserve the right to do this too; keep in mind that one of the biggies, blogger.com was bought by Google and thus the hosted *.blogspot.com sites are now under G's control. We all love Google, though. Right? RIGHT?!

I don't have one of my own, but I hear that blog scripts are not hard to set up or use. Some web hosting companies offer a free blog script. If not, there are some free scripts and some that aren't too expensive.

EDIT: in case you are confused by UncleScoot's post, there is the Wordpress.com fully hosted blog site, and wordpress.org where you can download the script and host it yourself. Both are the same company, but I'm not sure that Wordpress can in any way control what you do with your blog if you download their script and use it to set up a blog on your own site.

Internet Cowboy
    They have no control over the version you download and install. They ask that you leave their link at the bottom but otherwise you have full control of it. I have installed it several times and it works great.

http and a telephoto
    Definitely WordPress on your own domain!
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Action Jackson - King of the World
    I use the Wordpress on their site because of the SEO benefits, something you lose if hosted on your own domain.

You are in, or you are out ... choose!
    Could you elaborate on that Jackson?
    [url=http://www.dWoz.com/][b]dWoz[/b][/url] - serious webmaster tools & resources.

Senior Affiliate Manager AMWSO James - AMWSO's Avatar
    B2Evolution is good (and free). Chris is using this for his new project: AffiliateProgramBonus.com. I'm also using it for another project and I rate it.
    James D. Nardell
    AMWSO.com Affiliate Management Team
    email: James.Nardell [@] AMWSO.com
    Phone: (805) 624-5669
    IM - Google/Skype: JamesNardell
    iolo technologies | Paychex | Personal VCard Website

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Wordpress, but definitely on your own domain.

I've heard that Wordpress shuts down monetized blogs that they host! (Insert several anti-Commie rants here!!) I'm not talking about splogs--from what I've read they'll shut down blogs just for having AdSense even if they have "real" content on them, or detect any other forms of using your brain (IOW for trying to make some money from your efforts), on blogs that they host.

So host on your own domain unless you like the ghastly prospect of doing all that typing for free...and never being able to make any money from it.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

I have 2 blogs that are in subdirectories for my domains. Both are Wordpress and I prefer Wordpress over all others I have seen. One of those blogs is entirely affiliate sales links and the other has some links in the sidebar. Both of these are routinely indexed and included in Google, Yahoo and MSN

I have 2 other Wordpress blogs that I host on my own domains. They are content heavy, but both have affiliate links.

Don't use the Wordpress free hosting if you want affiliate links.

Just to shake things up, I took a chance on a Blogger free hosted site so that I could write about a seasonal topic (Christmas) and link to pages on other sites, including my own. I know that it could be deleted at the whim of the Blogger Gods, but I take that chance. It has affiliate links sprinkled throughout and I've actually had some sales come from those links.

Again, if you have the option, wordpress on your own domain is great. It really is a snap to set up (they have a 5 minutes install that really is just 5 minutes) and it works great.

That said, I do use the wordpress.com hosted site for my affiliate info blog (used for me to communicate with my affiliates). It was just easier for me to set this one up with wordpress.com than to install it myself...
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by jackson992
    I use the Wordpress on their site because of the SEO benefits, something you lose if hosted on your own domain.
    If your blog gets shut down you don't get that SEO benefit.... And I do know people who's blogs were shut down without notice, AND they had to get their content back through Google cache. So if you want to use a hosted version for SEO, better have a second on your own site with your content backed up!
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Another vote for WordPress.

Settting up WordPress on your own domain is the way to go if you want to have full control. It's a cinch to install if your host offers automatic installation of WordPress via Fantastico or similar script installers.

Action Jackson - King of the World
    Mainly I like the offsite one because it is a different ip and not associated with your other sites. I have aff links galor on both of the blogs I have with no problems.

Any idea about the hosting of a BlogSpot blog on one's own domain - via their ftp system.

Anybody try that yet?

I may give it a simple try (if I can find the time) to see how it works.

Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    wordpress...

I use WP installed on two of my domains and Blogger FTP published to another. I prefer WP now that I've used both of them.

I wish I'd taken the WP plunge two years ago, but when I tried it I just couldn't make it work (or my brain either). The newer version is much easier to use, IMO.

Now that I've completely modded a theme with graphics I feel confident in my WP abilities.

Blogger isn't BAD, it's just not what I would choose for a professional blog. I'd like to switch, but it's just too much trouble at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Beachy
    Any idea about the hosting of a BlogSpot blog on one's own domain - via their ftp system.

Anybody try that yet?

I may give it a simple try (if I can find the time) to see how it works.

Yep, it's really easy. Need some help?

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Hadorn
    Yep, it's really easy. Need some help?
    Hopefully not. Thank you for the offer--if I have a problem I'll definitely give you a shout.

The reason I am curious is the feature "G" has for uploading to a blog via cellphone. I would like to "attempt" a blog doing just that for the Wine and Dine section of a local travel/destination site. We eat out a lot and I am sure I could fill the spot with cell photos and my ramblings over dinner. It just might have enough "takciness" to it that some folks may look it over.
    Either that, or I am just plain nuts...
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

one note of caution about wordpress. It seems it changes some code in affiliate links (this has to do with coding like & etc...) and it messes up tracking. See this thread:

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=81227
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread