Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    Is your Boss a Jerk?
    I thought this was great! A contest for whose boss is the biggest jerk by Chris Knudsen.

Here are a few of my tips if you want to be nominated to be a crappy boss:

* Humiliate employees in front of their peers - one of my all-time favorites (Iíve seen it done by CEOs down to regular Joes)
    * Never show appreciation or give credit to someone else (remember, your ego comes first)
    * Be sexist. Women donít belong in the workforce, they belong in the home! Be condescending and question their judgement as much as possible. You know youíve hit the jackpot if you can make her cry.
    * Send an email criticizing an employee and make sure they ďaccidentlyĒ read it (passive agressiveness works best when youíre afraid of confrontation).
    * Be threatened by rather than learn from an employee with different skills than you have.
    * Donít stand up for your employees when coworkers are verbally abusive. Look the other way.
    * Flirt excessively with your employees and socialize with them outside of work often. Be sure to leave your spouse at home with the kids while you have a bang-up time.
    * Be inconsistant and keep them guessing about what you want. Change your objectives frequently and then blame the employee when they donít know what you want.
    * Be suspicious. Donít trust employees to make their own decisions. Itís a great way to stifle creativity which involves risk - and risk must be minimized.
    * Donít tell employees what criteria they will be judged on in their annual review until the day or week of the review.

Since I am my own boss here and most affiliates are as well, I would suppose that if any of us have a crappy boss, then we we REALLY have issues!

The full article is at - http://newspapergrl.wordpress.com/20...r-boss-a-jerk/
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    If she is I'm in big trouble, seeing as how my boss is me.

Internet Cowboy
    I found a way to get around a boss who is a jerk. Don't have a boss! Sometimes I treat myself mean and make myself work overtime just to try to keep it real

Scoot...as is often the case nail meets head with you
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

http and a telephoto
    My boss can be a real slave driver.... she never lets me have a day off.....
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Yeah lox...I talked with your boss last week and she is a real harda**

Sure hope I don't run into her at Affiliate Summit
    Matt McWilliams

Ok, for those of us with REAL bosses (unfortunately), no, my current one is pretty cool. But I've definitely had my fair share of 'em...

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by MattMcWilliams
    Yeah lox...I talked with your boss last week and she is a real harda**

Sure hope I don't run into her at Affiliate Summit
    You she likes, so you won't have issues.... Stay on her good side
    Deborah Carney

A contest for whose boss is the biggest jerk
    Terrible bosses have long ago driven me from the 'traditional' workplace.

I recently did some contract work (read: not an employee!) for a guy who has only worked for himself and has never worked with others. Needless to say his micromanaging was enough for me to thank myself for the termination clause I drafted.

Adam

There was a phone in competition on the radio last week about what super-power you have. Too late for the prog - but I thought the power to de-jerk bosses would have the greatest effect on the general level of happiness and well-being of workers everywhere.

I think what we are all missing is a very simple point...

We should be THANKFUL for crappy, jerk bosses.

Thanks to them, there are more affiliate marketers
    Matt McWilliams

We should be THANKFUL for crappy, jerk bosses. Thanks to them, there are more affiliate marketers
    Right here folks, another edition of Matt's Wisdom.

http and a telephoto
    lol, even with great bosses there are people that ultimately want the freedom to work for themselves.
    Deborah Carney

Outsourced Program Manager Rick - Bitcom's Avatar
    I like the one about bosses treating you like a mushroom...

...they keep you in the dark and feed you nothing but bullsh*t.

Talking
    I think what we are all missing is a very simple point...

We should be THANKFUL for crappy, jerk bosses.

Thanks to them, there are more affiliate marketers
    Yes - but with less affiliate marketers there would be more money for the ones that were affiliate marketers.

So - in reality - crappy bosses give us a pay cut.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Quote Originally Posted by adambha
    Right here folks, another edition of Matt's Wisdom.
    Hmmm...another? Where was my first one? HAHAHA
    Matt McWilliams

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GigaGolf
    I like the one about bosses treating you like a mushroom...
    they keep you in the dark and feed you nothing but bullsh*t.
    Thanks Giga - there goes my plan for a pan seared filet with mushrooms and Bernaise sauce tonight!!
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    This is a boss I had about 20 years ago:

-Schedule employees 60 hours minimum per week so they grow accustomed to overtime pay and have no time to look for another job.

-Place employees in physically dangerous situations and threaten dismissal if they complain.

-Whistle for you, like for a dog.

-Schedule you for 12-hr shifts from 6pm to 6am lifting 150 pound items the entire time.

-Maintain an atmosphere of fear and intimidation.

Basically this was not a job, it was more a reinactment of a Nazi Slave labor camp. I quit within 2 months, even though I was to be "promoted". The other people did not even say goodbye, probably because they were envious of the fact I had "escaped". I truly felt like I was escaping a prison camp when I drove out the lot.

In retrospect, however, this bad experience with "Hitler Junior" lead to me completing an advanced degree and spending many good years in a job I enjoyed.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead

-Schedule employees 60 hours minimum per week so they grow accustomed to overtime pay and have no time to look for another job.

-Place employees in physically dangerous situations and threaten dismissal if they complain.

-Schedule you for 12-hr shifts from 6pm to 6am lifting 150 pound items the entire time.

Basically this was not a job, it was more a reinactment of a Nazi Slave labor camp. I quit within 2 months, even though I was to be "promoted". The other people did not even say goodbye, probably because they were envious of the fact I had "escaped". I truly felt like I was escaping a prison camp when I drove out the lot.

In retrospect, however, this bad experience with "Hitler Junior" lead to me completing an advanced degree and spending many good years in a job I enjoyed.

Hey Cheese, isn't that guy an AM now?
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

My customers are my bosses, and I love each and every one of them...

Oh, who the heck am I kidding.. I have no stinkin' boss, I am the Boss, my underlings must obey me! !

My favorite type of Boss - A boss who gives an employee a well thought-out detailed description of job requirements, expectations and provide training documentation on the day the employee is fired for failing to perform their job. If I ever have to have a boss again, I don't know if I could handle it.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Just reading all those jerkisms gives me chilling flashbacks! I think all of my empl*yers did at least several of them (just which bad things they did varied a bit, but they all did plenty)!!

The concept of "boss" is so tainted to me that I don't even call myself my "boss"--Now, I am the Leader of the Dictatorship of Myself!

I shall not abdicate the throne!

Yeah, well, my boss is a real tough b*st*rd. And I have to look right in his face first thing every morning -- as I shave.

But he isn't all that bad - 'cause he bought be a lightly-used SLK to play with this past summer. And now I have to use it as my "daily driver."

Seriously, good thread. It makes us think about why we are in this business...and what we can truly accomplish without all that corporate "stuff" being shoved down our throats.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Yup, Sure ... now let me check ... Cagles Mill's Avatar
    Cheesehead wrote:

Except for the part about lifting 150 pound items "ALL" day, it sounds like you were an Asst.Mgr. for Wal-Mart. By the time I left, I was about due to get promoted to my own store, but by then I no longer cared what they offered me.

P.S. This is not a Wal-Mart joke!
    Rick M.
    I would rather have a bottle in front of me, than have a frontal lobotomy!
    Does your bubblegum lose its flavor on the bedpost overnight?

25. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread