Someone want to buy one of my domains..
    I had a couple of emails and a phone call from a lady interested in buying one of my domains (s l o w p c . c o m) [split up so that the buyer can't easily Google the thread].

She offered $150, which is a lot more than I paid for it But it turns out that she's emailing me from the IP address of a reasonably well known software company that deals with things that might slow down your PC. (No names, no pack drill).

Does anyone have any advice on how much I could ask for on this one?
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

Internet Cowboy
    If she is emailing you from a parasitic company, I would take no less than $100,000 for it. They have the money and it is a great domain name for them to use to install yet more crapware on the computers of unsuspecting users.

ABW Ambassador
    I have an affikiate in the UK that just sold a hotel domain for $10,000 USD

His first reaction was "it depends on who wants to buy it"

If they will pay 150, they will likely pay a bit more. But I wouldn't recommend going nuts with your counter. It would probably be worth more to you as a developed site or an adwords lander. A short niche name like that would pull traffic on adwords with a well constructed ad.. Think s l o w p c. com/keyword.

The name's value is mainly in it's brandability. At 6 characters it is beautifully short & speaks to a specific topic. However, the search value is very low for the keywords "slow pc". Overture is showing 551 searches per month & 0 for the name with .com extension.

Given the keyword volume for the name, it might be a long, long, time until another offer comes along (read: possibly never). Something to bear in mind if you choose to counter.

Another thing to bear in mind, since it is a "brandable" type name, is that the buyer may have a list of other options. If I am buying a name for a specific site, I always have a plan B , C, & D, in case I encounter sellers who are detached from reality or are otherwise unwilling to sell within my price range.

GL

Eric
    Last edited by loxly; November 28th, 2006 at 02:50 PM. Reason: split up the domain name so it won't get spidered, as noted above.

My negotiating strategy when I'm indifferent to the outcome is this: Ask for roughly 10+ times the amount you think you can get and see what happens.

I've been surprised more than once...

Adam

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    namepros dot com is a good place to get an appraisal, lots of buyers and sellers there...
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

Umm didn't you say anti parastitic company?

Given that this domain does have a good keywords and is a .com, I'd imagine it to be worth more than $150. Say that you've declined previous offers but "may consider" selling it for $1200.

If she says yes, you're in business, no and you can always give her a bargain and half the price!

ABW Ambassador
    Tell her that you're planning on taking the site live soon, develop it quickly, and then you can hope for the "potential" increasing the value... I assume (I've only sold one site) that a developed site will go for much more than just the name. On the other hand, they may want just the name & one that has never been used before... who knows?

when I sold my site, the buyer factored in a new design I was working on & changes that were planned, but they never implemented either after they bought it. Now the site is completely different. The crappy part is I signed a non competition contract which doesn't expire for another year & I have an idea, name picked out, and site designed... ugh...
    Hi, I'm a signature.

I have a few sites that are in development, some may be for sale and I have a buyer interested in one just because the name is great....with nothing but a logo on it....I would ask for their best offer, and say you get offers all the time.....I am certain a name like that is worth lots more than 150 bucks. FWIW

One thing, I don't think it was too awfully smart of the potential buyer to use an email adress back to a large corporation that could use that domain. I mean, frankly, if someone ( at ) microsoft sends an inquiry to me, it is a whole different response than an inquiry from shouldaturnedright42 ( at ) gmail.com .......

One thing, there are a zillion advertisers at google for the phrase "slow pc"..... maybe you should consider actively marketing the domain to a couple dozen of those advertisers. They apparently think that search phrase is worthwhile, so maybe you will get competing offers.

you could just say you were hoping for a lot more, and see what they counter-with... or pick a # you'd be happy to sell it for, and tell them that.

The sender is using a Hotmail account but obviously hasn't twigged that their IP address is in the headers (d'oh!).

It's a midranking but very long established utility company, not a parasite.

Ten times as much.. hmmm.. a work colleague of mine flogged one for around $7000 last year.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

I tried to buy a domain a few months ago for $5K, the dude wanted $50K... needless to day I didn't buy it.... so you can see the prices can be anything.

If you haven't already made a deal - my recommendation would be to list the name on Sedo, let your potential purchaser know that they can make offer there and let it go to Sedo's auction. I suspect that you would get some much more competitive offers there.

Great domain name with lots of potential.

Highball all the way. $10k at least. Seriously. How much more brandable can you get than that? Try $50k.

If they flinch, the original offer is nothing to get uptight about missing out on anyway. $150 is hardly worth taking the time for arranging payment and transfer.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by davidh
    Highball all the way. $10k at least. Seriously. How much more brandable can you get than that? Try $50k.

If they flinch, the original offer is nothing to get uptight about missing out on anyway. $150 is hardly worth taking the time for arranging payment and transfer.
    second the motion. after all, what'll it be worth to them over several years?
    (it's even very easy to say and remember on a TV ad!)

Type in traffic alone is worth a bunch more than the offer. When i type slow pc in the url google (thanks never asked for this) forwards me to http://www.zdnet.com.au/insight/hard...9214743,00.htm or first SERP for the term, which is
    full of ads and such.

If you had developed this domain it's likely that you could have this type in traffic to sell everything from ram to new pc's...

what is that worth to you? what is the search traffic for "Slow PC" crap i'll give you 150 for it

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamoo
    I had a couple of emails and a phone call from a lady interested in buying one of my domains (s l o w p c . c o m) [split up so that the buyer can't easily Google the thread].

She offered $150, which is a lot more than I paid for it But it turns out that she's emailing me from the IP address of a reasonably well known software company that deals with things that might slow down your PC. (No names, no pack drill).

Does anyone have any advice on how much I could ask for on this one?

Hi Dynamoo,

Why your site is offline? Keep us informed, please

Quote Originally Posted by elbowcreek
    namepros dot com is a good place to get an appraisal, lots of buyers and sellers there...
    Appraisals are a rip off, if you want a legit figure what a domains worth
    just look at the last 6 months sales and see what kind of domains are
    selling for how much.
    I bought one the other day that was appraised at snapnames for $50,000
    and I paid $49.00 for it.. Domain was You.gs by the way..

Quote Originally Posted by ChiTown
    selling for how much.
    Appraisals that you pay for are a ripoff. NamePros.com is a forum for domain name investors and appraisals don't cost anything there. Keep in mind though that there are a lot of NamePros members that attempt to appraise that really don't have a clue.

Wanna buy my domains?
    I have domains available for sale. Please visit (edited out spam)
    Last edited by Trust; January 15th, 2007 at 06:22 AM. Reason: spam

Quote Originally Posted by ChiTown
    selling for how much.
    I'm not talking about a paid appraisal, which I agree are generally not worth the money. Namepros has domainers who make a living buying and selling domains, and they can give you a legitimate feel as to the worth of a domain.

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread