never mind

[ 07-30-2002: Message edited by: Vicki ]

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Sometimes it is all in how you word things, or where you placed something.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Prime example ...

When I started my email list, the sign up ratio was terrible. I changed 2 words and the sign up increased 5-fold.

It's amazing what a little tweaking can do to your verbage [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Dave

Great post! Thank you. I certainly hope to see more posts of this nature. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    As far as the copying incident,it brings to mind the recent post of what motivates us to do this type of marketing. As I recall, most people were doing this for freedom. Freedom from jobs, bosses, family business, whatever.
    Let's say that I copy a site and manage (though I don't think it is possible) to earn enough money to quit my job. Have I gained freedom? Absolutely not! I have not gained freedom until I have learned to start with an idea and carry it through to completion and then be able to repeat the process.ON MY OWN. I don't believe there are any shortcuts.
    So many of you that are earning substantial amounts of money provide so much help to those of us that want that type of success. Please don't let what has happened jade you. Keep those precious posts coming.

Vicki,

It's nice to hear some calm words of wisdom for a change. Anyway, I'm not exactly a newbie but I appreciate the time you took to write this. And you presented this with class.

Janet

edited for grammar

[ 07-28-2002: Message edited by: Jknight ]

edited again for sarcasm.

[ 07-28-2002: Message edited by: Jknight ]

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Let's say that I copy a site and manage (though I don't think it is possible) to earn enough money to quit my job. Have I gained freedom? Absolutely not! --Bghtn <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Since site thieves have a 99% chance of not understanding why it's NOT freedom, I'll add a bit.

It's not freedom because: The thief always has to wonder if he/she'll end up BUSTED AND BOOTED--not only from this message board, but from "their" merchants!

Also the bad reputation will LITERALLY spread all over the world! People in the US, Canada, Australia, the UK, India, Russia, Romania, China and Malaysia--and I'm sure there are some other people whose locations I forgot--know who ripped off my site, and will not trust him.

Having to worry about things like that 24/7 will make the fruit of copied sites bitter. Aside from *morality*, those are the big reasons to be original.

I write the above to make it *crystal clear* to would-be site thieves, just what's so bad FOR THEM about it.

Bghtn, don't worry, I'm sure we'll keep the posts coming. Although I would expect that quite a few signatures have lost their URLs in the last few days...

[ 07-28-2002: Message edited by: Leader ]

I guess this would be a newbie question (I'm not in the aff biz, just curious): where does aff income fit in with the IRS? Small business? Self-employed?

I'd think that at least after you got to the level of a $600 we-told-on-you check, tax forms would be a real bear for you guys.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jaybat:
    I guess this would be a newbie question (I'm not in the aff biz, just curious): where does aff income fit in with the IRS? Small business? Self-employed?

I'd think that at least after you got to the level of a $600 we-told-on-you check, tax forms would be a real bear for you guys.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, small business and self employed. It isn't really a problem. A one page form that you put the total of your income on, and then you get to subtract all those expenses, like hosting, and internet access, and that shiny new computer.

And then you get to pay social security tax, both the employer's share and the employee's, since you're both. Plus of course the income tax.

Thanks, surprised to hear it's only one additional form.

ABW Ambassador
    Actually, it can be more than one form and there are differences in what forms dependent on how much you make (EZ vs. non-EZ). The additional form is Schedule C.

But you may also be liable for reporting Estimated Income (quarterly report) and there can be penalties assessed if you don't estimate or under-estimate.

Best answer for how to handle the tax issues? Get an accountant.

Action Jackson - King of the World
    man, I don't want to even think about tax time this year lol. I'll have my website earnings to declare and my new video store. Somehow I think I'll have someone else do my taxes this year

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread