Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    The impact of Google or PayPal checkout
    I would very much like to hear what users here think about using PayPal Pro or Google checkout. I'd prefer to hear input from those who have experience with it via their own web sites, or client sites as you are the ones who can lend some feedback on the following:

1. If you previously used another CC processor (gateway and processor) and subsequently went to PP or G, did you notice any change + or - in your sales conversions?

2. Have fund transfers gone smoothly?

3. Are you also able to capture customer data in addition to G or PP capturing the information?

If you use either of these services for processing on your sites I would really appreciate your feedback.

Thanks - Alan
    Last edited by ALH - AmeritrustRx; November 29th, 2006 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Typo
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

I've run a small e-store for three years. I have always offered a choice to buyers of either PayPal checkout or my own merchant processing of credit cards. I haven't implemented Google Checkout yet.

PayPal is 15% of my orders, and 17% of my total sales volume.

Unfortunately, that tells you nothing about how PayPal would affect conversions if an alternative method were not available. Still, maybe the data is helpful.

I know webmaster mike did a nice test last month...I can't seem to dig up the link though...
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Did a one hour phone interview with a Silicon Valley newspaper editor last Friday. Cover the pure Google Checkout test for a brand new site www.holdup-suspenders.com Merchant is known, even to Google (Analytics sniffs out everything) to be a high converting product supplier. ...Google Checkout rings up gripes
    PROBLEMS BESET PAYMENT SERVICE
    By Elise Ackerman -Mercury News http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercu...s/16110416.htm

Unless they follow my suggestions and beef-up the "Buy Now" make a button interface to include flat freight or UPS/USPS interface, multi-item ordering, and return to merchants site upon order completion ... it doesn't measure up to PayPal. None measures up to conversions via credit card payments. The full shopping cart API integration puts Google Checkout on par with conversions with Paypal as I assisted Americart in testing their Level II integration. Works flawlessly but Americart needs a more prominent Google Checkout payment option button rather then the colored text link.

Funds transfers to merchant was smooth. My merchant got 100% of GC shoppers to date to pass over their e-mail address, along with the order info and delivery info to the GC admin area. Americart & Google sends out "order placed e-mail". Only thing missing is Google Checkout fully protects the shoppers credit card from merchant Google Checkout + Adwords e-mail support was great as they understand the problems I brought to the surface need to be addresses. Only Adwords/Analytics support offers a phone number (Ugh). Basically those merchants who get chance to offer Google Checkout $10 off on $30 purchase coupons, and now $20 off orders over 50.00 get a ton of free traffic all signed up with GC. Google pays them 10.00/20.00 per sale. After 45 days of testing and feedback to Google I still haven't gotten them to include my testbed client into ... http://www.google.com/checkout/holiday/merchants.html so their only traffic to new site comes from clicks on Adwords.

I've kept the stats on the CTR for Adwords (targeting 3 sites) with and without the GC cart badge and in all cases the badges do generate more clicks, but dismal sales compares to normal SERPs. Could be a bug in Analytics as actual daily sales better the 1 sale per 20 click normal average for last 30 days. Adword's GC badges aren't pulling in many already active/registered GC shoppers for tightly niche merchants like Holdup Suspender Company. I'll not go into detail here as Buy.com. STP and those GSI merchants won't honestly share the info to us.... or Google.

I did blow the lid off Second Bite, LiveHelp, MetaRewards and other Point of Sale attack dogs telling Elise Ackerman at least Google Checkout would never allow this consumer privacy violations to go on within their protected payment processing area. We spent 40 minutes going over the Adwhores, BHO's and Googles prime function as an affiliate Yellow pages for pushing coupons during the checkout process. Right now a full API cart interfaced to GC is a win win for legit merchant and real shopper.

The non TOS sheisters are trying to sneak into GC, but the war stories just come from those getting caught as GC staff checkout their sites after they begin booking orders. Let's just say the GC compliance and policing staff are on the ball. They aren't about to begin washing stolen credit card money for the product forwarding mules. My major complaint is Google doesn't understand etailing and back office order fulfillment needs... and they haven't given Holdup Suspenders GC merchant exposure on their promo page for all the effort. Next step is trial testing of Googlebase with Google Checkout for this merchant.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Thank you Mike. I appreciate the detailed report and the time you took to write it.

Any others using one or both? Your feedback is requested and appreciated.

Alan
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Hopefully she'll follow up with a story on taking a second bite out of Christmas....
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

http and a telephoto
    As noted in another thread, Google Checkout doesn't support affiliate tracking.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Thanks Deb. Yes, I know that at this point G checkout doesn't support affiliate tracking. I recall well the thread about G not doing so, but that was not what I am after.

I am hoping that at some point in time, G WILL support affiliate tracking. Two weeks ago I completed and submitted to them the long survey they sent to various advertisers and in that survey, I strongly suggested that aff tracking be added / supported. Hopefully others did too. Hopefully at some point they will.

However my question is motivated for another purpose I am interested in knowing what (if any) difference in conversion those who have used or do use either G checkout or paypal have experienced versus no G or paypal brand on their checkout page. I'm not talking about the standard pay pal gang, but rather the merchant version (PayPal Pro etc)

We have a program that is inhouse only and does not involve affiliates. We are considering adding the merchant version of PP or adding G checkout and thought perhaps it could enhance conversion.

If any merchants here use either, and have input in that regard please let me know and thanks in advance for any feedback.

Alan

Google Checkout Integration a Pain in the A$$
    We've been working on integrating Google Checkout into our site (skis.com) for the last few weeks and it is a complete pain. You basically have to re-work your checkout system entirely to get it to work and the team at Google that is working on the project is really picky about what is good and not good. Also as noted Google Checkout doesn't allow for affiliate tracking and you can't make customers login into if they want to use Google checkout. As far as my experience goes I wouldn't recommend adding it unless you absolutely have to.

As far as paypal goes, I would recommend adding it. It's not really that hard to integrate, the payments are always there on time, and it just gives customers that warm fuzzy feeling that they don't have to worry about fraud and all of that other stuff.

Craig Salveta
    Marketing Coordinator
    Summit Sports Inc
    Skis.com HockeyDeals.com SummitOnline.com
    CSalveta@Skis.com
    248-338-9980 X207

Thanks Craig - that's the kind of feedback I'm seeking. Anyone else who has hands on experience with integration of G I'd like to hear from you. Thanks again Craig.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread