Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    I posted this in the loooong thread, but after I saw how deeply it was buried in the thread I decided to repost it here to increase the chances that it will be seen.

---------------------------------

I'm checking in from holiday, logged in on my brother's computer.

I was one of the ones asked to take a look at some problematic pages, before the complainant told Haiko about it.

It is my professional opinion as a writer, editor and webmaster that this is NOT just a case of two affiliates ending up with similar copy because they were both working from the merchant's original materials. I examined several instances where it was clear that the copier had lifted substantial chunks of material from another affiliate's site, including some that was copied directly from the source code - telltale mistakes and all.

This is quite different from adapting an idea and developing it one's own way ...

The affiliate whose site was copied is someone who has never revealed his/her site on ABW, so far as I am aware. It may be just (just??) a case of someone swiping from a site that ranked well in the search engines, but there's another source of compromise that's worth commenting on: the site was recently identified as a high performer BY A MERCHANT who published a list of top affiliates (without the permission of the affiliates on the list). (There's fodder for another long discussion there...)

The affiliate did some checking around after the merchant's thoughtless disclosure, and that's when the copying was discovered.

There may be additional instances that have come to light since Thursday, but I've been out of the loop so can't comment on that.

Sigh ...

Elisabeth Archambault

thats nice to know! thanks!

also, why does a merchant need permission to post a URL?

what is it with all the URL paranoia here!

i dont get it, especially those of you that do have traffic or ranks... youre already out there...

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>thats nice to know! thanks!
    also, why does a merchant need permission to post a URL?
    what is it with all the URL paranoia here!
    i dont get it, especially those of you that do have traffic or ranks... youre already out there...
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

People protect their URLS for the exact reason of what took place the other night.

Lets say I knew you were doing 9,000 a month in affiliate sales and you published your URL, what would stop me from just copying your site in its entirety because it is obvious you are doing something correct.

I recall back when Pranav tried to do this to leader's sites.

Remember, Lauren, there are a ton of people that come through here that look and see what we are doing. They rarely post (if at all), and they just troll for sites to see who is making the green. I've had web hosts that have trolled through here looking for my clients...I've seen them, and I have spoken to them. Obviously, its impossible for me to hide my URL since we are a service based business, nor would I want to since I want to get my hosting out there to other webmasters.....I've have several sites, but you guys have maybe seen only a handful of them. I won't publish my shopping sites for the same reasons others won't.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    It's always SOOOOO easy, for someone to suggest that other people leave themselves open to being stolen from!

Hmph, if I wanted to make donations I'd pick a charity. Site theives, on the other hand, can go straight to H!

Lauren, It's no more paranoia than locking the doors to a house in the middle of a big city. It would be STUPID NOT to take precautions against theft, in a place where theives have been proven to come, PERIOD!

And *please* don't bother saying this is just "personal"... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

[ 07-28-2002: Message edited by: Leader ]

you guys cant be serious! you mean to tell me that you guys really believe that by not posting here, you are preventing theft of your site??

if people wanted to copy a successful site based soley upon the fact that it is succesful, there are plenty of places they can go!

lol

you guys really crack me up.

they DONT need to come here to find your site or a successful site.

its kinda like jeff bezos being on a talk show and refusing to say what his website is because MILLIONS of people can see it and go copy it!

hahaha

i TRULY believe if there was anyone here that was really big money successful, they would not only NOT be worried about it (because it can happen to anyone) but would have the money and or an attorney to fight it. thats what happens when you make money and/or are successful.

im sorry but IMHO you guys dont really have a case here [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

i HONESTLY believe that the majority of people here do not list a URL only because

1. they are embarrassed of their work

2. they probably copied someone and dont want you to know it (LOL)

3. some idiot affiliate manager will post stats, like that knucklehead from ripoffcraze did to me. actually, it wasnt stats, it was just click thrus.

also, i guess i should remark about the statement that thieves hang out here... well sweetie, theives are everywhere. theives go to google, but you want to be listed there, right? they are all over the place.

on the other hand, it is probably true that there is absolutely NO BENEFIT whatsoever to have your site mentioned here...

[ 07-28-2002: Message edited by: Lauren Stephens - Raging Affiliate ]

ABW Ambassador
    For some time, I wondered what Lauren's primary motivation was when she started and ran "www.affiliateprogramsthatsuck." I actually thought that she might have some legitimate beefs, and wanted to be helpful to the affiliate community at large.

Frankly, after reading much of what you have written here however Lauren, I think you are simply a bitter little person who tends to make herself feel better by belittling others.

Time to take your medication kiddo....

Obstinatedon

A TOTAL "ditto" to Obstinatedon!

Lauren, I am not going to bother with your silly, transparent, little attempt to worm our URLs out of us. Obstinatedon's response has the main part, so I will just add:

KMA!!!

Aw c'mon Don. It *is* difficult to get your head round all the possible permutations. Theres no need to get personal about it.

Lauren, its like this. If I post my URL here and say 'look at this site it doesn't earn anything, help!' no-one is going to copy it.

If I say 'look at this site, it earns several hundred dollars a week' it'll get copied.

The problem a copier has is hosting fees. They could copy all they liked, but if they choose the wrong site to copy - they don't earn jack.

On ABW there are some successful sites. Some won't get copied because of their business model - for instance Bluesx. You could copy his site all you like and unless you copy his traffic generation measures too he won't be crying into his beer. He said so.

Same with THMedia. All the page copying you like won't turn you into a host. And all the page copying you like won't give you Jeff Bezos supply infrastructure.

But when your main business asset is search engine placement, like many of us here, *and* you are successfully generating $$$$$ you become exceptionally vulnerable.

so..

SEO + URL public + "I earn lots!" = Trouble.

Renove just one of these elements and you are probably OK.

But theres also a lot of truth in being embarrassed about your pages too! I have hundreds and precisely 5 are finished. (Though the official story is that 'my pages are so dazzlingly perfect it would upset everyone else').

Actually, I thought my pages looked OK until I saw what MouseJockey could do...

I

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Leader:
    A TOTAL "ditto" to Obstinatedon!

Lauren, I am not going to bother with your silly, transparent, little attempt to worm our URLs out of us. Obstinatedon's response has the main part, so I will just add:

KMA!!!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

listen miss holier than thou, i could care less about your URL i know mostly everyones URL here (yes, including yours- remember your email to me last year?) so your lame attempt to make me look sketchy doesnt wash. who gives a rats @$$.

this has nothing to do with me caring what your url is. this is your insufferable paranoia and the fact that you seem to think you are so much more knowledgeable and better than everyone else.

get off the self made pedestal.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Obstinatedon:
    For some time, I wondered what Lauren's primary motivation was when she started and ran "www.affiliateprogramsthatsuck."
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

really? well, i guess i shouldnt be surprised about that.

why would you spend any amount of time wondering what MY motivation is??? OMG! are you serious???

am i the only one here that find this to be incredibly scary??

i havent had the site for a while. but as far as what it was, it was exactly what it was. i wasnt selling/serving banners, i wasnt charging for forum space. i wasnt selling oir advertising webmaster stuff (for teh most part) i was simply being an "informant" and the income was a few referrals here and there.

BFD!!!

you really scare me now.... i cant even believe you actually wondered about me and my site... why would you even care??

ZZZZzzzzzz....

:rolleyes:

And the 2-posts-in-a-row junk is old, too.

Zzzzzzzzzz

[ 07-28-2002: Message edited by: Leader ]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lauren Stephens - Raging Affiliate:

listen miss holier than thou, i could care less about your URL i know mostly everyones URL here (yes, including yours- remember your email to me last year?) so your lame attempt to make me look sketchy doesnt wash. who gives a rats @$$.

this has nothing to do with me caring what your url is. this is your insufferable paranoia and the fact that you seem to think you are so much more knowledgeable and better than everyone else.

get off the self made pedestal.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Excuse me, Leader IS one of the most respected members on this board!!
    And rightly so!!

Anyone could learn alot from her, if they are willing. She has NEVER come off with a "holier than thou" attitude. She has NEVER said she knows it all.

She is more than patient to answer questions and help.

I could go on but I won't. Her actions (like yours) speak louder than words.

Vicki [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

respected?? how about feared?? ooooh we dont want to piss off miss leader!

ive been reading some of the posts. i was looking for helpful posts, but all i could find mostly were ummm "responsees to others" to put it nicely.

i know its nice to brown nose, but usually, i only do it when theres something in it for me.

i think its better to have a mind of your own and standing up for your beliefs rather than going around blanketly agreeing with the "popular people" just to make yourself feel like one of them. this isnt highschool.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>respected?? how about feared?? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And, I scare you too? What in the world are you afraid of Lauren?

I reiterate, you continue to prove with your constant harangue and antagonistic approach that you simply like to stir the pot. This harpy approach does nothing positive, but only tends to widen the already yawning chasm between you and many on this board.

Why would you intentionally do that?

Obstinatedon

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lauren Stephens - Raging Affiliate:
    respected?? how about feared?? ooooh we dont want to piss off miss leader!

ive been reading some of the posts. i was looking for helpful posts, but all i could find mostly were ummm "responsees to others" to put it nicely.

i know its nice to brown nose, but usually, i only do it when theres something in it for me.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can somebody pleeeeese put a sock on it?

Lauren, I don't brown nose to anyone. I have disagreed with Leader before and I wasn't afraid.

If you don't find anything usefull here, MOVE ON.

reminds me of something my mother-in-law says - some people are just "sh1t stirrers"

Lol, this diarrhea of the mouth is getting old.

I heard of anal retentive but this is ridiculous.

ABW Ambassador
    are we having a cat fight
    <------

Ditto and ditto, Obst. and Vicki!

I need not say more!

Adam,

ONE cat sure wants to fight, and is either fighting or trying to start one in at least four threads!

One against me, one about Ssanf, one about a typo in a banner :rolleyes: and one about some locked thread.

ZZZZZzzzzzz.....

How I design my site depends on what my strategies are to attract visitors to buy. I did fairly ok prior to the site remodeling lately, both cosmetic and structural, and the sales almost doubled. Do I want you know what I have changed exactly? No, because it's my strategy. Same as I have never heard of any companies openly tell how to run their business.

I personally respect quite a few members here at ABW, but I don't think they even know. On the other hand, there are members I don't appreciate, like those who put other people down.

Long time ago, my parents taught me that it's common courtesy to respect each other... Did the value change?

Hey Lauren

Just checked your url.

nice menu. still doesn't work though.
    I have one like that, and i know how to make it work.

That does not necessarily mean you copied mine, does it? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Amit, Are you always so stupid or is today a special occasion? [img]tongue.gif[/img]

[ 07-28-2002: Message edited by: Baccillus ]

i think its better to have a mind of your own and standing up for your beliefs rather than going around blanketly agreeing with the "popular people" just to make yourself feel like one of them. this isnt highschool.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lauren, on this we can agree - it is good to have a mind of your own.

I have never blanketly agreed with anyone just because they were the "popular" people.

If that were true, I would not have gone to bat for you and what you had to say in the whole Shrimp incident. A thread in which I got called a "$75 a month *****" for standing up for you.

I call it like I see it - no matter who it is.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote:
    <hr>
    Baccillus says:
    Amit, Are you always so stupid or is today a special occasion?<hr>

Have you gone crazee ? Or perhaps your drunk...I haven't even posted on this topic...

And what makes me stupid :confused:

Regards
    Amit

TGO, I think he looked at Nighthawk's avatar and thought it was you...

exactly leader, a case of mistaken identity [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    Leader - I knew that all along [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

But then if he had nighthawk there

Then that meant he thought nighthawk was stupid lol

Regards
    Amit

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast