Verbosely Virtuous Mutt spacedog's Avatar
    Norton blocking affiliate links
    Anyone know how prevalent this issue is nowadays? A whole lot of people run some form of Norton, whether it's the basic Symantec/Norton AntiVirus, or SystemWorks, or Internet Security. Which of these products block affiliate links (and corporate or home editions, or both)? I did some reading, and this problem is discussed on forums and websites mostly around 2004 (including on ABW) but not that I could find since then.

The websites returned on my Google search for "Norton blocking affiliate links" noted that the "ad blocking" option was turned ON by default in 2004 versions, and that Symantec had been promising to have it off by default in the 2005 version. I couldn't find anywhere whether Symantec followed through with that.

I'm curious if this has now become pretty much a non-issue with enough people upgrading to new versions since 2004. Also of course a lot of people have bought new computers with updated software since then.

Talking
    I have norton on my computer - firewall - everything - and it doesn't block my affiliate links.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Thanks BurgerBoy for that info. I hope that's the case with the vast majority of computer users these days.

Ok, I believe I got an answer to my first question. I think it's just Norton Internet Security and Firewall that mucks with affiliate text links and renders them invisible when the user browses the web. And one article said that Symantec turned that ad blocking option off by default starting in the 2005 version.

I'd like to get feedback from others as to how much this problem still exists, from their observations or research. I know there's a way to deal with it using chetf's script and other methods, but I'd rather not have to add yet another level of complexity to my affiliate links and web page building if I don't need to (I already cloak them using the 'onmouseover' method to make them look prettier).

Speaking of the javascript 'onmouseover/onmouseout' method, does anyone know of an easy way to automatically wrap all affiliate links in your HTML with this JS code? It's a pain to add it manually on pages with a lot of outbound affiliate links.

Talking
    What are you using to build your pages ???

I just upgraded to Norton Internet Security and it doesn't block any affiliate links... As a matter of fact I looked at the program and tried to find WHERE you could turn on AD BLOCKING and I couldn't find it any where... So it must be gone in the new version...

I did notice that with every SCAN it deletes ALL COOKIES though... it is a PITA when you have so many sites that remember your username and password via COOKIE.. and then you have to remember what those were to log in again... BUT it is very secure.. several possible intrusions blocked so far...

Norton has an affilliate program, they had to stop blocking aff links because they would have to block their own!
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

Quote Originally Posted by JoyUnltd
    Norton has an affilliate program, they had to stop blocking aff links because they would have to block their own!
    Nice! Money will always make up any corporation's mind, eh?

Thanks all for the input so far.

BurgerBoy, I use Dreamweaver and some chincy templates.

Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by spacedog
    Nice! Money will always make up any corporation's mind, eh?

Thanks all for the input so far.

BurgerBoy, I use Dreamweaver and some chincy templates.
    I'm no Dreamweaver grul. Someone who uses DreamWeaver will have to help you there.

Are you using php or something similiar to build the pages with DW. If so you could have the JS code in the template and have a php url call in the place in the JS for the url and the php would write the url for you as it read the feed.

You can do the same thing with WebMerge as it builds the pages.

I use php with FrontPage 2003 and it works fine. I'm sure some of the people here will say you can't do that with FP because it will over-write some of your code, but it never happened with me.

It works just fine.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AddHandler
    I did notice that with every SCAN it deletes ALL COOKIES though... it is a PITA when you have so many sites that remember your username and password via COOKIE.. and then you have to remember what those were to log in again... BUT it is very secure.. several possible intrusions blocked so far...
    So in other words, virtually all of our cookies will have an effective 1 WEEK duration?

So much for 90-day or 180-day cookies.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

I have been using updated Norton for years, never saw my links blocked.

I'd be more concerned about S&D
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    my notron is OK too

This is good news. I just assumed that Norton Internet Security was still blocking ads. Back when they first introduced that "feature", I swore I would never again buy a Norton product. So, I never found out they back-tracked on that business decision.

Nice to know! Thanks!

Affiliate Manager
    That's really good news. It was a silly decision to begin with, and I'm very glad to hear they've come around.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread