Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    One Ugly Domain
    This is, I think, an interesting way to generate some noise. The fellow is trying to trade up from oneuglydomain.net to a domain that is worth 1 million bucks. Every round they vote on submitted domains, and the winner switches domains with the contest holder. Okay, so maybe it sounds a little ridiculous, but I think it is a creative way to, at the very least, get curious visitors into the site - and who knows, perhaps he will at least end up with a domain worth a chunk.

There are a few reasons I can think of as to why this might work. First, different people with different experiences and values will appraise domains differently. So, at least in their minds, it might be possible for the two parties to 'trade up' - or at least break even. Second, as the trades stretch out over time, they will all be listed on his site, which could, if the site has success similar to the milliondollarhomepage.com did, end up receiving a decent PR and traffic boost, thereby escalating the value of the domain you end up with.

Lol, anyway, I just thought it was a clever way to generate traffic, and I thought you might enjoy looking at it.

It is located at www.oneuglydomain.com , if you are bored.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

I'm new to the forum and this post caught my attention. This is a really cool idea, how'd you find out about it (haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else)?

Quote Originally Posted by elbowcreek
    There are a few reasons I can think of as to why this might work. First, different people with different experiences and values will appraise domains differently. So, at least in their minds, it might be possible for the two parties to 'trade up' - or at least break even. Second, as the trades stretch out over time, they will all be listed on his site, which could, if the site has success similar to the milliondollarhomepage.com did, end up receiving a decent PR and traffic boost, thereby escalating the value of the domain you end up with.
    I agree, your logic is sound, I think he's got a realistic chance of hitting the $1 million bucks...especially after seeing pixels sell for $1 a pop and a trading for a house.

It looks like RealitySeries.tv is going to win this current round, and having gone from oneuglydomain.net to RealitySeries.tv in only 4 trades is pretty damn amazing. He's already massively increased his "investment". Question is, will he continue to trade up and how long will it take to reach the goal...

Quite an original take on the one red idea. Now why can't I think of something like this to make a quick buck??

RealitySeries.tv is the one I offered up, just figured, heck, for an original idea like that, wny not. Besides, if i did have to end up trading, I kind of like VoiceTone.mobi. That would be my first .mobi, and I've got zillions of .tvs already, still waiting to develop.

The domain I voted for in this round was HighestRewards.com, I thought that one was the best, actually. That could very easily be used by an airline or an affiliated site.

I've been watching this from the beginning. He has another domain with a forum that was his first venture. I've seen a few domains on his lists that I wouldn't mind having.

Hiyas jmoore hope your Xmas retail sason is going well!

My domain, RealitySeries.tv won the last round, it will be interesting to see what comes up next. Up top on the front page, he has a link to the domain I received in the exchange as well as a link into my domain sales site, so I think it was a good trade. Depending, of course, upon how active it gets, and whether there is much publicity that links into it.

Kind of fun thing to watch, though the nominating and voting periods stretch out a bit longer than I'd like. I think he needs his own forum rather than just comments on a blog, I could see quite a few people hanging out there and turning it into a domain exchange portal.

That's a domain with real possibilities. Andres does have a forum on his other project - The Record Breaking Domain. There's even an Ugly Domain thread, but it's a little behind times the last time I looked.

Is it as cold in your neck of the woods as it is here, Elbowcreek? It was below zero when we got up this morning. Brrrr

Much too cold, though frankly, anything under 50 degrees I have a tendancy to whine about, lol. Once my kids are older, I'm heading somewhere south. I'll be happy to come back up to Indiana and visit cold if I miss it - or maybe just stick my head in a freezer a couple of times.

I hate any weather that I notice, so Illinois is really not the place for me. I can get my seasonal needs met with photographs. We're trying to decide now where to head off to this summer - Hubby is retiring and I started this whole internet thing so we could unplug and plug in somewhere else. I'll probably find work somewhere so we can make up our mind where - we really like NC and TN when we went exploring down there a few years ago.

My office feels like a freezer this morning. The dog and the cat grabbed the couch blankets so I'm making do with fleece and typing fast.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread