Lightbulb Need help with traffic -> ad avenue estimation
    Hi friends,

I am writing a business plan for a future website and I need to estimate advertising and/or affiliate income from it. The site will be a directory style searchable info with useful Web 2.0 apps so that I can retain the users after they locate the info on from the directory.

What I would like to estimate:
    1. I want to estimate a revenue based on 100k, 500k, 1000k unique visitors a day with around 5 page views each on average.

2. I want to estimate how much traffic (click-through %-age) can I expect to receive from a relevant third party site that links to me.

3. What would pay better, PPC type or Affiliate ads?

I want to maximize the revenue at the beginning. Having said that, I'd like to avoid overwhelming my visitors with ads, as I need to retain them in the long run.

I realize that there are too many variables but any insights, experiences opinions will be extremely helpful. I am also providing very basic info to ensure I'm not miscommunicating, but please feel free to ask any specifics if that would help brainstorm.

I would greatly appreciate any input.

ABW Ambassador
    "I am writing a business plan for a future website and I need to estimate advertising and/or affiliate income from it."

You can't. I see the word "estimate" a few times in your question. Like you said, too many variables.

TrustNo1, I perfectly understand that I cannot forcast these things, however, a purpose of any business plan is not to accurately guess what is going to happen. Most business plans are obsolete buy the time they are off the press.

Purpose of a business plan is to help a businss owner to plan, to put the thoughts in writing so that at a later stages he or she knows where they are.

By no means I'm not trying to set targets or milestones, but to have "estimates" as close to reality as possible. While I cannot easily do that, I'm asking this forum's help, because Webmasters with this much traffic may have some insights or even some real numbers that can be a starting point.

TrustNo1, by no means I want to criticise you, as I'm new to this forum and don't know you as well, but I want to tell you how I post my responses in other forums where I have been a member for a while: Even if I think that something cannot be done, it is not necessarily true, so I may respond by suggesting other sources of info. I would not say: "No, this cannot be done, and no one can say otherwise", because I may be dead wrong, which would mean that I unnecessarily discouraged that person. Sorry, that's just how I feel about giving someone an advise.

I hope somebody else can respond with more helpful tips.

My guess would be that you could get from 1/4 to 1/2 cent per unique visitor. At best. If they came to your site looking for something to buy you could do much better, but it seems that isn't the case here.

Depending on the quality of the link to you, you could hope for a clickthrough rate of from one in 30 to one in 300.

If they come looking for something to buy you would probably do best with product links, if not, I'd expect Adsense to do better.

As Trusty indicated, this information depends on so many variables it's almost useless. But not quite. The only way to know for sure is to try it. But things keep changing, so what is true today about this business won't be true next year.
    Affiliate Marketing - The hardest easy money I ever made.

http and a telephoto
    Good luck Mr Krabs.... Criticizing the responses you get from long time members here won't make others willing to jump in and hand you info that you are asking for. You may have good intentions, but you are asking for information that is not easy to determine and really does depend on so many factors that no one can give you numbers. You will have to figure this out on your own most likely....
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

ABW Ambassador
    "Sorry, that's just how I feel about giving someone an advise."

I was just being honest with you.

Let's say you get 100,000 uniques a day, how much will you make? Who knows. What's the product you're pushing, how targetted is the traffic, how are the merchants or the ads you're using going to do?

Let's say you spend $1,000 a day on PPC, how much will you make? Who knows. You might lose it all and make $0. You might make 10x what you're spending.

Is your online business getting free traffic from the search engines? One site might be getting 0, another site might be getting hundreds of thousands of visitors a day. That's going to play a part. How to estimate something like that?

"The site will be a directory style searchable info with useful Web 2.0 apps so that I can retain the users after they locate the info on from the directory."

It might flop costing you time and money. Google might take it off your hands for hundreds of millions of dollars.

You're not providing enough info to get any kind of good response. This is just a different type of business. Endless variables play into it.

Dealing with CPM and more than 2 ads per page.

I guesstimate 100 dollars per 100,000 impressions

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    Good luck Mr Krabs.... Criticizing the responses you get from long time members here won't make others willing to jump in and hand you info that you are asking for.
    Loxly, You are absolutely right. Looking back, I did come accross a bit aggressively. This crab deserves to be deep fried. I have to apologize to TrustNo1 (TrustNo1, I'm sorry ), who I'm sure meant nothing but best for me.

I know its a very broad question but responses I was looking for are similar to what missdonna (thanks!) and HardwareGeek (and thanks!) provided.

I would still appreciate more responses.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread