Lightbulb Free or commercial script for comparison site?
    Guys and girls,

I am trying to find a good off-the-shelf solution to host a comparison site similar to say, creditcards.com (see page: http://www.creditcards.com/low-interest.php).

It has to be a directory/search engine for a specific niche.

I am leaning towards PHP/SQL solution as I'm most familiar with those. But any suggestions are welcome.

Thank you all for participating

It's more for products than credit cards, but take a look at Price tapestry. See what can be done with it here.

I'm using it for my comparison site, and it's very well coded & flexible (easy to edit) and support is second to none

Thanks HarveyC,

Credit cards was an analogy, and yes I am planing to feature both, products and services. This looks like a solution that might work.

Only drawback with Price Tapestry I see is it's priced in GBP. Me paying in USD, will be quite expensive. Price would not be an issue if it worked for my purpose at the end. If they had a fully working demo (evemn on their site), I could try out,, but I see that many features are disabled.

Another issue is that I see that PT is mostly for datafeeds, whereas I'd like to drive my site from a local SQL database.

I am still looking for other suggestions, but thanks HarveyC, I will look at your suggestion more closely.

No problem

Good luck!

You may want to search for the nickname "pricethat"

If I remember correctly he/she offered a solution, although quite expensive.

- a demo's on pricethat.co.uk.

A helluva lot more expensive than the one above, but a lot of work went into it, and I hear good things.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Krabs
    Another issue is that I see that PT is mostly for datafeeds, whereas I'd like to drive my site from a local SQL database.
    I believe PT does operate from an SQL database. It just takes the datafeeds and imports them into the database. Any solution like this should use a database.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Thanks Scott,

I think the both solutiuons are an overkill for what I'm trying to achieve. I guess I could write PHP myself, but did not necessarily want to reinvent the wheel if I did not have to.

If you look at the example I provided (http://www.creditcards.com/low-interest.php), this is basically what I want. To have products/services by category and some details and parameters. i.e. if someone wanted to look at 0% APR cards, they'd shoose category and see the lits with major details, then they could sort by annual fee, cahsback amount, etc. Clicking on either would take me to a detail page with, well, more detail.

I think if I show a breadcrumb it would explain better:
    Financial > Credit Cards > Chase > 0% APR > Chase Platinumk MasterCard

Again, my site is not about credit cards but very similar result as I described above is desireable.

Thanks

Try a fairly standard CMS or shopping cart.

- Oh and if you have Fantastico on cPanel (it's great), you an auto-install a number of CMS's/shopping carts. If you think it's the right solution but can't find a suitable one, post back and I'll write a short list

I believe PT does operate from an SQL database. It just takes the datafeeds and imports them into the database.
    Bang on. Can't believe I overlooked that. Too little sleep.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread