Verbosely Virtuous Mutt spacedog's Avatar
    Width of pre-selling and sales web pages
    Is there an accepted best static width to use these days for your web pages that pre-sell products or use product feeds? In looking around the affiliate sphere it seems almost everyone these days uses a "centered" approach with blank colored bands to the left and right of the full content, while keeping the content table in the center of the browser's window. This, along with say, an 800 pixel content width sound about right?

800 px looks about "normal" when I eyeball a lot of sites, but I have trouble getting all I want in that sized width and still make my calls to action appear above the fold. Not to mention the table of contents on one side and sidebars of various stuff on the other. I know a lot of people still use 1024x768 (ew) and even 800x600 (oh the humanity!) for their monitors' resolutions and that we all should take into account these least common denominators so that most people won't have to scroll to the right. What's a good compromise?

Quote Originally Posted by spacedog
    I know a lot of people still use 1024x768 (ew) and even 800x600...
    Not exactly to your question (sorry!) but my stats show that about 53% of my visitors are at 1024x768 and 17% are at 800x600, the top two resolutions.

This doesn't necessarily mean you'd find the same among your users, but should serve has a helpful reference.

Tax Paying Member
    Spacedog...
    Your observation seems good to me.

My sites run
    10 to 20 % .......800X600
    30 to 50%........1024X768

There seems to be some variation according to what the site is promoting.
    My guess is that the younger crowd goes for the higher resolution.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

Talking
    Make your tables 100% wide instead of a fixed width and they will adjust automatically to whatever the user is using.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

I use both, depending on the number of products I need to list on a page. I prefer liquid width, but use fixed width a lot as well. I think the acceptable fixed width is usually 740, just shy of 800.

I use % a central area of around 800px (determined by %) and assume most visitors are on 1024 wide.

This gives you about 400 px to play with at the sides for your calls to action and navigation.

750px - 800px is my rule. Even though I have a 1024 or whatever wide screen, I keep my browser window open to about 800px wide. The stats just tell you the user's resolution, not the size of their window...
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

ABW Ambassador
    Fixed v. Liquid
    Whether you use a fixed-width or liquid design really does depend on how you want to present your site. My sites tend to be a mix of lots of content with imbedded photographs - with the text wrapping around the photos. I have to use a fixed width design - otherwise the pages would look god awful in higher resolution monitors.

On the other hand, liquid is nice if you want to display a load of products "above the fold", or at least near it and still want to have navigation on the left and perhaps Adsense on the far right.

Personally, I like static width myself, and design my sites to be 760 pixels wide. For me, sites that span the entire screen just so often seem "so busy" with stuff scattered all over the place.

Jim

I have a custom javascript that determines the screen resolution which loads the ABW header with either a 468X60 or a 728X90 ad. You could do something similar with your page width / CSS.

BTW 97% of ABWers have 1024+ resolutions
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

BTW 97% of ABWers have 1024+ resolutions
    i m 3%

Quote Originally Posted by jimh009
    Personally, I like static width myself, and design my sites to be 760 pixels wide. For me, sites that span the entire screen just so often seem "so busy" with stuff scattered all over the place.
    Interesting observation -- I'll try it.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread