buy.com showing the "also available from other merchants"
    On all my buy.com links today, I see the
    ALSO AVAILABLE FROM THESE OTHER MERCHANTS

I thought those were not suposed to be there from affiliate links?

ABW Ambassador
    Leaks, leaks, leaks.

ALSO AVAILABLE FROM THESE OTHER MERCHANTS
    clicking 'SHOP NOW' will bring you to the listed merchant's site

I just picked something at random and saw it. Links going to Amazon.com and Circuit City for a CD I picked at randon. Didn't notice this before. If they just put it up. They put it up just before/during the busiest part of the year.

15 years and counting
    Trust - They put it up just before/during the busiest part of the year.
    Deja Vu!
    We're seeing the same tricks at the same period, year after year. It's not fun anymore.

ABW Ambassador
    Happy Holidays = NOT

I'm seeing this, too. I wouldn't necessarily assume that this is intentional, but it certainly does seem to come back up pretty frequently.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Lightbulb
    haven't we learned yet?

Affiliate Manager affiliatemanager's Avatar
    Yes, they are suppose to be suppressed
    Dear Buy.com Affiliates,

I am already aware of this error that occurred late last week and it is being fixed as we speak.

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...071#post637071

The code is being developed to suppress other merchant listings from affiliate referred traffic and I have been told should be completed by this Weds. Because of the various changes to our site redesign, the old code that suppressed these ads did not work. Trust that this is a priority for our developers to implement and put into production ASAP.

We value our affiliate partnerships and we truly apologize.

Best,
    Melissa Salas
    melissa@buy.com

15 years and counting
    If I look at my stats from last year, this week is one of the most important $ wise for the holiday season. I'm pretty sure the code will be in place next week or the week after. After the rush.

Lightbulb Reply to Zeus
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeus
    If I look at my stats from last year, this week is one of the most important $ wise for the holiday season. I'm pretty sure the code will be in place next week or the week after. After the rush.
    Hi Zeus,

Although I can appreciate your concerns, I want to address your comment that this was not done on purpose and that the busiest week of the season is the week of 12/11 right before shipping deadlines for Christmas.

To think about this rationally, do you think Buy.com would want the traffic they've purchased as well to link off to other competitors sites and purchase? The purpose of having these links displayed is we realized that many customers are price sensitive and head over to other competitors to price shop before they purchase. We are so confident with our pricing that we decided to publish our competitors prices to help convince the customer we indeed have the lowest price and we can capture the sale right then and there without having them leave the site. I cant talk specifics, but lets just say this increased conversions/sales and has been very successful. In terms of the affiliate program, we are still seeing the programs highest conversions of the year so this glitch has had no impact to our program over the past few days.

That being said, we also value are affiliates and even though displaying our competitors prices to increase our conversions has been successful, we understand that some affiliates see this as "leakage" therefore why we suppress the links from affiliate referred traffic.

Hope this explanation helps,

Melissa

ABW Ambassador
    http://www.buy.com/prod/Good_Will_Hu.../40104518.html

Circuit City is cheaper. Who knows how many shoppers you lost by telling them your competition has something they're looking for at a better price.

There are some items where Buy.com is cheaper, there are also plenty of items where the competition is. You're promoting your competition on your site. They don't promote you on theirs.

Talking
    Hi Trustno1,

I agree, with over 2 million products, deep catalog items like "Good Will Hunting" may not have the lowest price, like in this case (by pennies). However most shoppers are savvy and buy 2 or more DVDs, taking advantage of free shipping over $25 as well as the $10 off $30 coupon. So if they bought 2 x $15 DVDs, They would get them both for $10 each which is a greater savings than the CC price.

I am happy to say that most competitors cannot match our offering right now and that is why we are dominating the market at this time!

Cheers,
    Melissa

PS: Everything on our site is trackable, so yes, I do have insight as to how many of "from other merchant links" shoppers are clicking...Shoppers love Buy.com! :-)

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by affiliatemanager
    Hi Zeus,

Although I can appreciate your concerns, I want to address your comment that this was not done on purpose and that the busiest week of the season is the week of 12/11 right before shipping deadlines for Christmas.

To think about this rationally, do you think Buy.com would want the traffic they've purchased as well to link off to other competitors sites and purchase? The purpose of having these links displayed is we realized that many customers are price sensitive and head over to other competitors to price shop before they purchase. We are so confident with our pricing that we decided to publish our competitors prices to help convince the customer we indeed have the lowest price and we can capture the sale right then and there without having them leave the site. I cant talk specifics, but lets just say this increased conversions/sales and has been very successful. In terms of the affiliate program, we are still seeing the programs highest conversions of the year so this glitch has had no impact to our program over the past few days.

That being said, we also value are affiliates and even though displaying our competitors prices to increase our conversions has been successful, we understand that some affiliates see this as "leakage" therefore why we suppress the links from affiliate referred traffic.

Hope this explanation helps,

Melissa

Then why would you make this change this week?

I can see the meeting,

"next week is the busiest week of the year"
    "we should change our site during that week"
    "that would be a good idea if we were idiots"
    "Well, we always have been, just not as big of idiots as the affiliates who keep buying this crap"
    "raises all around!"

Quote Originally Posted by affiliatemanager
    Dear Buy.com Affiliates,
    ...The code is being developed to suppress other merchant listings from affiliate referred traffic and I have been told should be completed by this Weds.
    it's friday, and it's still there for me.

affiliatemanager,

unless you had relationships with these merchants that would put money in your pocket for conversion there would be no need to have these links show. The question is for either affiliate links or other traffic to your product are you a merchant or an affiliate?

It seems like when you run out of stock on an item that the default becomes send the traffic somewhere else (where you recieve money in some form) rather than propting the visitor to look for a like type item within your 2 mil products.

Why not just put adwords up in it's place that way we could possible buy OUR traffic back from you.

If you do not recieve commissions or other payments for linking off to the other merchants please feel free to correct me.

They use pricegrabber for that box, (pgpartner.com), so they are making $ from it.
    If it's not a $ making area for buy.com, then at least remove all the links from there. (I think that's what tiger direct, or some other place does)

Melissa,
    Have you given up even trying to get rid of the pricegrabber box for the affiliate links, Or are you going to start giving us the affiliate commission you make when people click those boxes?
    You tell us you're going to do stuff, yet nothing happens.

Well Melissa, do you really not give a rats-as$ about affilaites? You've successfully stole our commissions anytime a product went out of stock, and our cookies for other stores with your pricegrabber integration.
    You promised you'd get rid of it, and you didn't. I guess buy.com only got to #3 because of screwing everyone.. Well no longer.. Consider yourself dumped from my site, and anyone I talk to.

silence is golden . . . . .

heisje

i've started promoting newegg, and some other places and am doing fine. I see buy.com is now pushing the call to order too.. glad i dumped those scheisters.

I've found it annoying as well and obviously the "being fixed as we speak" on 12/4 didn't happen. Fortunately this didn't happen during a busy season or anything like that.

well it was fixed fora little bit, and I added them back, but today I see it back again!

It appears that all of the leak suppression code has been removed. I clicked through my affiliate link, and I see all sorts of leaks again:

1) The big ad in the upper right corner. (I know this was never supressed, and was never happy with that decision.)
    2) Buy.com Visa, which I'm assuming affiliates don't get compensated for.
    3) Marketplace Buying Choices, which I'm assuming affiliates don't get compensated for.
    4) "Also available from these other merchants" results from PriceRunner, which affiliates don't get compensated for.
    5) Google Sponsored Links, which affiliates don't get compensated for.
    6) A 728x90 ad at the bottom of the page, which affiliates don't get compensated for.
    7) A prominent order by phone number, which affiliates don't get compensated for.

I have to scroll through 7 pages worth of junk on the product page I'm looking for, and most of it is stuff that won't earn affiliates a cent.

This is some of the worst merchant leakage that I've ever seen.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

they are one of a few merchants that i expired ;-) and it felt good!

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread