Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I like to hear some effective ways you have dealt with content theft. This is clearly a huge issue for site owners, and I have frequent episodes of this myself.

I have read all the posts on the "hot topic" here right now, and it's been fascinating, to say the least. It led me to ask this question.

When I find this (and most often it is from my loyal visitors that tell me) I usually wait a few minutes to calm down. I really want to rip someone lips (fingers) off when this happens. But I send them a calm but firm email. Almost 100% of them time, my email is ignored. The few times I get an answer, the accusation is denied. Now how can that be when their typos are exactly the same as mine. In fact, I have been known to make deliberate typos or put up incorrect info just for this purpose.

As you can tell, I am not very effective at dealing with these thieves, unless their conscience gets to them. But, if they had a conscience, they wouldn't have done it in the first place.

Gayle

If email doesn't work, try finding out who their Web Host is by doing a Whois search. Then contact their web host and tell them what they have done. This may or may not work, but it is worth a shot. I have tried it one time someone stole a site and wouldn't reply to me email. There site was shut down by their web host once I showed the web host how they copied my site.

If that doesn't work, you might be able to find their phone number on the whois results and give them a nice little call. I've never tried that, but it is also worth a shot.

Do you have the copyright info showing on your front page? The law, which was enacted about 3-5 years ago, states that if you can prove you were first, then you are the legal copyright owner. Ever thought of pursuing it further? Especially along those lines. Thievery is thievery. A little threat from a lawyer, might help, but first send them a certified letter stating your intentions and give them 10 days, or a reasonable time period, to either correct the problem or respond or you will take it further. But, it might not hurt to have the lawyer in on it from the first, before you send the letter. Just a suggestion. But make sure you have definite proof, or you could in turn be in a heap of trouble due to a countersuit, and I would have the evidence of their theft. If you have slipped in certain key phrases that only you can come up with as to why you put it there, might help! Most of the time, based on my 8 years of legal secretarial jobs, before I went into retail, people will correct it for fear of being sued. If not, they should be corrected, and harshly! For nobody likes a thief! Check your state's guidelines or laws and go from there. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I send a nice email. If it's ignored, I send a strongly worded email to all advertisors, affiliate manages, sites that have handed out awards to them, web hosts, personal ISPs...and whatever else I can find telling them about the problem.

I send each one separately and cc the theif in on each and every one.

You'd be amazed at the action it gets!!

I think everyone can copy content, only with one rule. Paste link to original web-site where that was get.

you think copying and linking is ok???

WRONG!

copying whether in its entirety or otherwise is ILLEGAL, IMPROPER and just plain lazy and dumb!

there are very specific guidelines for doing this, whether it is by parody, paraphrasing, critiqueing etc.

BUT i guess it is ok for some people!

NO offense whatsoever ssanf!i just cant believe how one person can get roasted to death while for others it is perfectly acceptable!

that just goes to show ya how fickle people are here!!!

lol

I've noticed content from my site regularly shows up in eBay auction listings. I usually don't do anything about it, due to the limited amount of time it's online. And sometimes, they even provide a link to my site, which is nice - I do wish they'd asked first before just taking the content, but I really do believe a lot of people think it's OK to do this if you provide a link back to the site.

One seller did regularly use contents from my site, and I allowed it until he hotlinked an image. 22,850 impressions later, I sent him an E-mail advising him I've known about the copying of text from my site in his auctions, which I didn't really mind, but I didn't appreciate the bandwidth theft.

I changed my .htaccess file to prevent hotlinking, and he's never copied from my site again, to my knowledge. I never heard anything back from him either.

In a way it's flattering that people like your work, but I would not be happy to find my entire site, or large chunks of it, reproduced elsewhere.

Andy

Hey, hey, hey!

What if I can't write so good as you? And don't have so many knowledge as you? But I like your text.

I think my way is more acceptable.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.

[ 07-28-2002: Message edited by: SWAT ]

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> What if I can't write so good as you? And don't have so many knowledge as you? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is one of reason why we join ABW. help each other, ask ask ask...................
    not copy each other

ABW Ambassador
    >specific guidelines for doing this

More than 2 to 3 sentences with reference link has been cause for trouble in my experience.
    It is a good way of linking to an authority site.
    Government sites are usually public domain stuff.

[ 07-28-2002: Message edited by: Adam Ward ]

dont ya'll ever read my posts???
    http://ivanhoffman.com/website.html

a few excerpts...

keywords, tags and trademarks http://ivanhoffman.com/keywords.html

and this is MOST interesting (the use of using a part of a domain name or trade name owed by a merchant, or keywords related) http://ivanhoffman.com/affiliates.html
    it has also been recognized that a trader is permitted to advertise goods using the mark under which they were placed on the market, provided that it does not do so in a way which causes confusion or damage to the reputation of the mark….If this is the position under the applicable trademark law or laws, the Panel considers that a trader in genuine branded goods can have a legitimate interest in using a domain name incorporating the brand name for a website promoting and selling the branded goods, provided that the trader does not use the domain name so as to cause confusion, for example by indicating that the website is approved by the brand owner.

i think that relates to how SOME merchant demand you can not use their domain or trade names, when in fact it appears theres no legal reason you cant.

DO these companies also insist that their street "affiliates" can not use their names??

as in, lets say i have a furntiure site and want to sell bassett furniture but they say i can not use their name in my tags or for SEs. BUT if i had a retail store, would they say i cant advertise their name or mention it in my yellow page advertising??

THIS IS RULE NUMBER ONE why i will NEVER associate with a merchant that makes this demand. It is purely out of greed. They have NO right to tell you how you can or can not advertise and keywords and SEs are a form of advertisement.

ok, read the site, it is very informative and the guy is an attorney...

feedback??

[ 07-28-2002: Message edited by: Lauren Stephens - Raging Affiliate ]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lauren Stephens - Raging Affiliate:

NO offense whatsoever ssanf!i just cant believe how one person can get roasted to death while for others it is perfectly acceptable!

lol
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lauren, you are mistaken about Ssanf. It is like comparing apples to oranges.

The content on her website is of a religious nature. It is material that is freely circulated throughout the community. Many of the customs, knowledge and practices are handed down by word of mouth.

Ssanf has placed this knowledge in one place on her site. Many other sites holds bits and pieces of this knowledge but hers is very comprehensive. It would be akin to quoting the Bible. The Reede is everywhere on the net - kinda like the Lord's Prayer in the Christian community.

It is 2 different things entirely!!

Vicki [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

edited for spelling

[ 07-28-2002: Message edited by: Vicki ]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SWAT:
    Hey, hey, hey!

What if I can't write so good as you? And don't have so many knowledge as you? But I like your text.

I think my way is more acceptable.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.

[ 07-28-2002: Message edited by: SWAT ]
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry SWAT, not acceptable. Unless you have permission to post another persons content - you are in the wrong - link or not.

Just because someone is a better writer than you does NOT give you permission to STEAL their content!!! And it IS STEALING!!!!!

Write your own, use refrences, but NEVER steal because they can write better than you or have more knowledge than you!!!

Vicki

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lauren Stephens - Raging Affiliate:

lol

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lauren - the material Ssansf has on her site is in the public domain .

Vicki,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Vicki:

Sorry SWAT, not acceptable. Unless you have permission to post another persons content - you are in the wrong - link or not.

Just because someone is a better writer than you does NOT give you permission to STEAL their content!!! And it IS STEALING!!!!!

Write your own, use refrences, but NEVER steal because they can write better than you or have more knowledge than you!!!

Vicki
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not talking about stealing. I think the link to original site is less what I can do for original site owner. And yes, I agree that I must ask the permission, but some of the people is greedy. So, what to do in that way?

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>you think copying and linking is ok???
    WRONG!

copying whether in its entirety or otherwise is ILLEGAL, IMPROPER and just plain lazy and dumb!

there are very specific guidelines for doing this, whether it is by parody, paraphrasing, critiqueing etc.
    ~~Lauren
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed!

But as for Ssanf, most of the stuff on her site is apparently public domain. I haven't exactly scoured the site, but a lot of it that I saw is "everywhere".

SWAT, if you can't write well, and think you never *will* write well--the proper thing to do is HIRE someone to write for you, NOT *STEAL* someone else's work! And if you think you can improve with practice, then PRACTICE! But no stealing in the interim!

Try hiring a college student that's majoring in a field that requires good writing in the language you want to communicate in. Undergraduates have been known to work cheap, at least here, and they can be pretty good!

[ 07-28-2002: Message edited by: Leader ]

Swat, you can ask people here to check your writing, if you want.

Or, if you have lots of writing, perhaps you could pay someone to correct it? I know people who can do this for you, for small amounts of money.

[Edited to add]

Sorry Leader. Posted at the same time!

I

[ 07-28-2002: Message edited by: Icicle ]

you guys really shouldnt go around quoting public domain when you apparently have no idea the definition.

im just saying that Ssanf clearly stated that this material came from another site which was obviously the creative work of someone else in which case it is NOT ok to do.

i have NO idea what public domain has to do with that, just because something is religion based means that the copyright laws dont apply??

are you trying to refer to FAIR USE??

thats silly...

information that becomes available under statutorily created immunities and exceptions from proprietary rights in otherwise protected material, such as the “fair use” exception in U.S. copyright law, and which promote certain public-interest goals at the expense of proprietors’ exclusive rights

here are a few references...
    http://www.unc.edu/~unclng/public-d.htm
    http://www.public-domain.org/database/database.html
    http://www7.nationalacademies.org/bi...Symposium.html

The second subcategory of information that is not subject to protection under exclusive property rights is information that has lapsed into the public domain because it has exceeded the statutory term of protection (e.g., in the United States it is 95 years for corporate-produced copyrightable works, or an author's life plus 70 years, with similar and often shorter spans of protection in other nations). This too is an enormous body of literature and information with great cultural and historical significance. Because of the long lag time in entering the public domain, however, most of the information in this category lacks relevance to most types of state-of-the-art research once protection has lapsed. Nevertheless, as discussed below, a substantial portion of the material contained in even copyrighted works is unprotectable and in the public domain

LAST BUT NOT LEAST http://www.lib.rochester.edu/copyright/pubdomai.htm

i think a lot of people do not WANT to know the legalities so they can always feign innocence and ignorance.

but ignorance is NOT bliss. you steal, you pay.

creating a website from someone elses work clearly shows one really isnt doing anything creative in the first place

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Leader:

But as for Ssanf, most of the stuff on her site is apparently public domain. I haven't exactly scoured the site, but a lot of it that I saw is "everywhere".

[ 07-28-2002: Message edited by: Leader ]
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ummm, bad example.

music is everywhere but that doesnt give you the right to use it.

as far as saying, im using it without permission because i cant contact the owner, thats even worse! thats like me saying i want to copy a michael jackson song, and since i dont know how to reach him, it is ok if i just help myself [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

im NOT trying to criticize ANYONE, especially ssanf~ im really trying to point out a few thingsand hopefully save someone from a lot of trouble later on!

another wonderful example this is of fair use and copyright...
    http://fairuse.stanford.edu/multimed/

I DO know what Public Domain is, and as I said before, most of Ssansf's material is in the public domain

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>im just saying that Ssanf clearly stated that this material came from another site which was obviously the creative work of someone else in which case it is NOT ok to do.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where is that? which pages on Ssansf's site and whose site did she allegedly lift the material from? Didn't she say that it was Public Domain? If so does it really matter where she got that material from, so long as it is in the Public Domain?

{

[ 07-28-2002: Message edited by: eaglefire ]

If you wanted to talk to the originator of most of Ssanfs stuff, you'd better take a spade.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Copyright has expired. The following is information about when a work enters the public domain:
    Published before 1923. In the public domain.
    Published from 1923 to 1963. Copyright term starts from time the work was published with a copyright notice. The copyright term was 28 years for first term, with ability to renew for 47 years, which was recently extended for 20 more years (total 67 years). If the copyright was not renewed, the work is in the public domain.
    Published from 1964 to 1977. Copyright term starts from time the work was published with a copyright notice. The copyright term was 28 years for first term. Now there is an automatic extension for 67 years.
    Created before 1978 but not published or published after 1978. The copyright term starts 1978 and extends for the creator's life plus 70 years or 12/31/2002, whichever is greater.
    Created after 1978. The term starts when created and extends for life of the creator plus 70 years, or if created by a corporation, the shorter of 95 years from publication or 120 years from creation.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So you see Lauren, we DO know what we are talking about, and you apparently don't. Most of that stuff is older than dirt; certainly before 1923.

[ 07-28-2002: Message edited by: eaglefire ]

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast